Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Offsite RAW file storage

martinezphoto
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Offsite RAW file storage

Looking for a provider to store RAW files offsite. Anyone have a recommendation? Thanks!

Jun 21, 2012 at 08:26 PM
stevez32
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Offsite RAW file storage

In what format?

A hard disk in a safe deposit box is off site storage. Check your neighborhood bank for pricing.

Any backup service will store RAW or any other type of file (e.g., crashplan).

Jun 21, 2012 at 08:30 PM
sboerup
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Offsite RAW file storage

stevez32 wrote:
A hard disk in a safe deposit box is off site storage. Check your neighborhood bank for pricing.

Cheapest and safest and most accessible, I've been using this for years.

Jun 21, 2012 at 08:39 PM
WalnutPond
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Offsite RAW file storage

Obviously depends on what volume of files you are planning.

Crashplan is a good option if you've got highspeed and not super high volume. You can even put your own computer or hang a hard disk off another site yourself if you want to roll your own storage off site and use crashplan to send it there.

safety boxes with hard disks is great, if you're disciplined enough to actually make the runs. The nice thing about automated backup is, well, automation.

Jun 21, 2012 at 09:37 PM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Offsite RAW file storage

My internet is WAY to slow to use an online service for RAWs... I only use that for JPEGs and other data. For offsite RAWs I use an external hard drive at a friends house. I have RAW's in multiple locations at home, but I never go back and re-editing old stuff, so I'm comfortable with focusing on finished JPEGs offsite.

Jun 21, 2012 at 10:04 PM
martinezphoto
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Offsite RAW file storage

Thank you to everyone who has replied so far. A safe deposit box is absolutely a rock solid solution and I am leaning in that direction. Just wondering if anyone has experience with an online service that they are happy with. I already have multiple backups but they are all located the same location. I am looking to store both client images and family photos offsite as a safeguard against fire or other damage to my home office. I will look into Crashplan.

Jun 21, 2012 at 10:28 PM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Offsite RAW file storage

FWIW I use MozyPro but have only used them for around 9 months so can't really comment on how good they are long term. It's worked well since I've had it though, and will for RAWs if your internet is good.

Jun 21, 2012 at 10:32 PM
ACRe
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Offsite RAW file storage

I use CrashPlan and it has been awesome. I set it to back up every night when everything else in the house is quiet, so I don't experience any slowdowns.

Andrew

Jun 21, 2012 at 10:32 PM
ai3x
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Offsite RAW file storage

Careful saying a drive in a safety deposit box is rock solid, it really isn't. Yes it might not get stollen but that doesn't protect you from the drive dying. If it's an older one that you rarely access that's a lot more likely than you may think.

I had a bad experience using backblaze and have now moved on to crashplan. I also have a drive in a friends computer which I rsync to. Basically I'm now aiming to have two completely separate off site backups.

I do have a good internet connection though...

Jun 21, 2012 at 10:55 PM
whtrbt7
• •
Account locked
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Offsite RAW file storage

I have on-site storage but for off-site storage, I just FTP to Godaddy into a secured space. Works well and it's faster for download. I also don't bother putting RAWs directly and instead have Aperture libraries stored so it's more efficient for getting projects.

Jun 21, 2012 at 11:01 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

jefferies1
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Offsite RAW file storage

I use crashplan and it works fine. They allow long term storage even after you erase the file from your hard drive. Most like carbonite and mozy delete after 30 days.Pro might be different but I have not looked into it. Not really storage, just system back-up. Not good if you erase a file then find you really needed it 45 days later.

Jun 21, 2012 at 11:07 PM
martinezphoto
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Offsite RAW file storage

Thanks again everyone. Just to clarify I am looking for both a short term safety net for client photos as well as long term archiving of family photos. Not sure if one solution will serve both purposes.

Jun 21, 2012 at 11:44 PM
blueirisarts
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Offsite RAW file storage

I plan on putting a NAS at my parents house and using their internet at night to sync files over... They will never feel a thing

Jun 22, 2012 at 02:04 AM
whtrbt7
• •
Account locked
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Offsite RAW file storage

Redundant storage is the key. Godaddy has tons of shared redundant servers than can be locked off for privacy and you can easily FTP your content into empty drive space. If you have a website already with them, you might as well store your stuff on the same server. I keep a very large amount of data on their servers and I know that there is redundancy so you would never lose the data.

Jun 22, 2012 at 02:14 AM
DavidWEGS
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Offsite RAW file storage

#1 best backup plan…

Deliver them to the client, asking them to give a copy to their parents.

Forget RAW, PP them till they are what you want, upload your copy to smugmug (or the like) in fine jpg, and be done.

If you want to keep them on file yourself, keep a fine jpg on a hard drive.

OK, now a question for you… why do you want to store RAW files long term?

Jun 22, 2012 at 02:47 AM
cordellwillis
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Offsite RAW file storage

DavidWEGS wrote:
#1 best backup plan…

Deliver them to the client, asking them to give a copy to their parents.

Forget RAW, PP them till they are what you want, upload your copy to smugmug (or the like) in fine jpg, and be done.

If you want to keep them on file yourself, keep a fine jpg on a hard drive.

OK, now a question for you… why do you want to store RAW files long term?

This is exactly what I was going to reply with.

What will RAW images do for you later in life that JPG's will not?

Jun 22, 2012 at 03:11 AM
Mr645
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Offsite RAW file storage

Store RAW files on a pair of RAID 5 arrays. One backs up the other. Updated nightly.

Burn a set of DVD's and store in another location.

About 6 months after everything is delivered, make another set of DVD's and remove from servers, except for album design (PSD's files) to show and have in case something comes up years later.

RAW files uploaded? Internet is still way too slow.

Jun 22, 2012 at 03:29 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Offsite RAW file storage

martinezphoto wrote:
Looking for a provider to store RAW files offsite. Anyone have a recommendation?

Have any relatives living nearby? Maybe you could put them there.

Jun 22, 2012 at 03:42 PM
Ian Ivey
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Offsite RAW file storage

Photoshelter allows RAW file storage, if you really need online / remote storage. But their plans are a bit expensive if that's all you're using the service for. I use them for my site, and the ability to store weddings offsite in RAW (over FIOS) is one thing that has kept me there when I think I could get a better looking site elsewhere. I only store raws on Photoshelter until I've delivered the images to the client -- sort of a last-ditch my-house-burned-down-while-the-bank-was-being-hit-by-terrorists option.

Jun 22, 2012 at 03:57 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password