Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · iMac glossy screen issues???

kkroeker
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · iMac glossy screen issues???

Hi Folks,

I am considering buying an iMac in the next few days (an upgrade from a 4yr old pc). I've spent some time doing a bit of research on the 27" iMac and have found that people are saying it is hard to get accurate color and brightness reproduction in print due to the glossy screen of the mac. I was hoping to hear the experience of actual photographers using the 27" mac.

Thanks for your help,
Kevin

Jun 21, 2012 at 05:02 PM
HubbardJA
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · iMac glossy screen issues???

I love mine (2011 27" base configuration upgraded to 16GB of ram). The screen is beautiful, IMO. Glare can be an issue if you're using it in a room with windows to your side or behind you. Otherwise, it's a non-issue. I've calibrated mine with an i1 Display 2 coupled with ColorEyes software and my printing results are accurate (close enough for me).

It's hard to beat the value of an iMac (speed with a nice built in screen). However, I'm going to be selling my as soon as my new macbook pro arrives. I just need something that's more portable. But if I didn't... iMac is awesome.

Jayson

Jun 21, 2012 at 05:35 PM
Cphoto1954
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · iMac glossy screen issues???

I do not like the glossy screens for photo work. Too much refelection and hard to judge the true image (printed) contrast. Great computer though. Maybe consider a second screen for photo work and use the built in one for your pallets, etc.

Best of luck to you in whatever you get.

Jun 21, 2012 at 06:48 PM
tomrock
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · iMac glossy screen issues???

I have a 27" iMac and I'm fine with the glossy screen. I use it every day and I guess I'm used to it. I do my own printing and don't have any issues.

Jun 21, 2012 at 09:32 PM
kkroeker
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · iMac glossy screen issues???

Thanks for the responses everyone... much appreciated

Jun 21, 2012 at 10:52 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Mr Joe
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · iMac glossy screen issues???

27" iMac and no problems. I work in a pretty darkened room and have calibrated with the i1 display 2 to 80 cd/m2 and 100 cd/m2 depending on the lighting. I print pretty often on an Epson and I'm happy with the results.

Jun 22, 2012 at 12:02 AM
dcains
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · iMac glossy screen issues???

Have a look at this:

http://www.macframes.com/

Jun 22, 2012 at 05:51 AM
wellsjt
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · iMac glossy screen issues???

I have a 2011 27" iMac and I have no issues with the screen. I have the i7 with 12 GB RAM in it (buy minimum RAM from Apple and add your own) and it rips along in LR 4 and the big D800 RAW files I throw at it.

Jun 22, 2012 at 04:35 PM
Daan B
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · iMac glossy screen issues???

I adapted to the glare (coming from a matt previous generation iMac). But I do have issues with color temperature. The right side of the screen has a different tint than the left side. The middle of the screen falls in between those two extremes. It is calibrated btw. I noticed it about 3 weeks after purchase, so I can't return it. It has to be sent in... just as I have loads of work to do on it. Very disappointed in the quality of the screen. Had I known this, I would have gotten an mini mac + Eizo screen.

Jul 21, 2012 at 04:26 PM
Mark Metternich
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · iMac glossy screen issues???

Yes, they are tough to work with (getting their brightness down too). Also they are only SRGB (not wide gamut). I prefer using my Dell Ultra-sharp (wide gamut and gets the brightness down easily).

Jul 27, 2012 at 07:50 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password