Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Quick Lightroom question

D. Diggler
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Quick Lightroom question

Say I've got two computers: A and B. If I start editng in Lightroom on computer A and then later move those partially-edited images out of computer A over to computer B, will the edits made in computer A be retained when I open those images in Lightroom on computer B?

Jun 21, 2012 at 07:19 AM
hardlyboring
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Quick Lightroom question

As long as you move the images and the catalog all together it should be fine.

For instance:
I make a new folder (name and date) and drop all raw files into that folder.
I then go into LR and make a new catalog for every session/wedding/engagement etc. that lives in that root folder.
I then import the photos and make sure the write xmp files tab is clicked in the catalog preferences.
You can edit away then. When you unplug your drive and plug it into a new computer you should just be able to go and open the catalog and all your images and edits should be there.

At least that is how it would work on a mac. On a pc it should be the same way but sometimes pc's can be stupid.
None of my Mac drives work on my PC though because of the way they are formatted and if you format a drive for a pc and use it on a mac with some kind of software like Tuxera it will eventually fug up and keep dumping your LR cache and close the program down. You basically have to stay with one computer system. So pc to pc should be fine and Mac to Mac should be fine.

Going back and forth is possible but a PITA.

Also this is all stuff I learned from the formidable Spencer Boerup. He is still my go to LR guy... Hoffer knows a fair bit as well.

Jun 21, 2012 at 07:25 AM
jolahern
• •
p.1 #3 · Quick Lightroom question

If you use DNG files the processing edits, metadata, star rating and lables will be saved in the file, so if you open the file in another Lightroom catalog or in Bridge/Photoshop you will be able to see them.
Not sure about process steps, and stuff that is Lightroom specific, light the Pick, Reject, stacks etc won't go with the file as they are stored in the Catalog.
Once idea that was written in Martin Evening's book on Lightroom (well work getting), is import the images to computer A, do some work, then export those photos as a Catalog, including the original files. Put this new catalog on computer B, work away, but now when you want to move between computers you don't have to export/import all the original files again, you can specify that you just want edits and new files (if you created a few PSD/TIFFs via Photoshop). You can import this new catalog into your existing main catalog.

Jun 21, 2012 at 10:07 AM
tobicus
• • •
p.1 #4 · Quick Lightroom question

Yes; just be sure to export the full catalog each time.

Jun 21, 2012 at 12:22 PM
Will Patterson
• • • •
p.1 #5 · Quick Lightroom question

I do this all the time, mostly when I'm on the road and begin culling and editing photos on my laptop, then want to continue on my main computer at home.

The easiest way is to select all the photos, then right click on any of them, go to Metadata, then select Save Metadata to File, it will create .xmp "sidecar" files that are your edits, and when you import the photos into another Lightroom it sees those sidecar files and applies the edits.

And if you want to have this done automatically (I do for archiving reasons so that my edits are saved), go to Edit - Catalog Settings - then on the Metadata tab check off 'Automatically write changes into XMP". This tells Lightroom to create these sidecar files whenever you make a change to any of the photos.

Jun 21, 2012 at 03:05 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · Quick Lightroom question

^ He means "check" write to xmp... not "off". This is what I do when I have to move work. I just use the sidecars and re-import. Quick. Painless.

Jun 21, 2012 at 03:14 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · Quick Lightroom question

Will Patterson wrote:
The easiest way is to select all the photos, then right click on any of them, go to Metadata, then select Save Metadata to File, it will create .xmp "sidecar" files that are your edits, and when you import the photos into another Lightroom it sees those sidecar files and applies the edits.

So it sounds like I may not even need to move the catalog to another computer if the files have the sidecars attached?

Jun 21, 2012 at 09:00 PM
Will Patterson
• • • •
p.1 #8 · Quick Lightroom question

D. Diggler wrote:
So it sounds like I may not even need to move the catalog to another computer if the files have the sidecars attached?

Correct. Just import them to your other computer over your network, or put the files on a USB stick with the sidecar files and import them.

Jun 22, 2012 at 04:16 AM
locoalvarez38
• • • •
p.1 #9 · Quick Lightroom question

Will Patterson wrote:
Correct. Just import them to your other computer over your network, or put the files on a USB stick with the sidecar files and import them.

So, you have to import the file every time you move from one computer to another?

Jun 22, 2012 at 02:02 PM
Will Patterson
• • • •
p.1 #10 · Quick Lightroom question

locoalvarez38 wrote:
So, you have to import the file every time you move from one computer to another?

If you're on the same network, no, as long as they've all already been imported to all of the computers. Then if you make a change via one computer, it should update in the other ones because Lightroom constantly monitors the photo file for changes. For example, if I make a change in Photoshop and come back to Lightroom, Lightroom will show you those changes when you view the photo.

Jun 22, 2012 at 02:37 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password