1       2       3              5      
       7       end

Archive 2012 · The Knot "Don't feed vendors"

tobicus
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #1 · p.6 #1 · The Knot "Don't feed vendors"

D. Diggler wrote:
To try to increase compliance. The client will be much more diligent if they know they are contractually obligated in writing as compared to "I think meals might have been discussed briefly when we met with the dude a year ago".

+1. The clearer you are about what you're giving and what you're getting, the more satisfied both parties are likely to be in the end.

Jun 21, 2012 at 09:38 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.6 #2 · p.6 #2 · The Knot "Don't feed vendors"

marti.g3 wrote:
I've seen that so many times. 6-8 band members, haven't played a note, have their own table, eat just like everyone else THEN go play their crappy top ten tunes

Oh sure! I've seen even 10 or 12 band members sitting down for the same thing the guests are having even before they've finished setting up their equipment! A few times I've asked some of the guys in the band about it and they always say, "it's in our contract". They arrive at the reception venue right before dinner.

Jun 21, 2012 at 10:03 PM
lisy78
• • • • •
p.6 #3 · p.6 #3 · The Knot "Don't feed vendors"

For those of you who have food in your contract, I REALLY hope that the clause doesn't simply require you to be fed but provide for the option of a break where you provide your own food.

Because again, a clause to increase compliance is largely pointless... what you want is ass-coverage for when a couple who decided to not provide you meals and requested you shoot some portraits of guests while they eat, and crafted a schedule that allows for no breaks threatens to sue you for not shooting some silly ass moment you didn't see happening when you stepped out to eat the sandwich you brought... even though you had the foresight to tell the MC "I'm stepping out for 10 minutes to go grab something in the car, please make sure nothing happens before I'm back"... that's where a clause like this could be useful:

"For events exceeding 5 hours the photography team shall be provided a 20 minute break to procure food. Client may at their discretion provide a meal inside the reception room ... bla bla bla"

Jun 21, 2012 at 10:05 PM
lisy78
• • • • •
p.6 #4 · p.6 #4 · The Knot "Don't feed vendors"

ROFLMAO!!! I'm listening to the A Man to Fish podcast episode with Stacy Reeves (the part 2) and they just spent 5 minutes on this very subject.

Jun 21, 2012 at 11:24 PM
tobicus
• • •
p.6 #5 · p.6 #5 · The Knot "Don't feed vendors"

lisy78 wrote:
ROFLMAO!!! I'm listening to the A Man to Fish podcast episode with Stacy Reeves (the part 2) and they just spent 5 minutes on this very subject.

I listened to that last night, and it was gooood.

Jun 21, 2012 at 11:51 PM
deepbluejh
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.6 #6 · p.6 #6 · The Knot "Don't feed vendors"

Can't believe we have 6 pages on this.

Jun 22, 2012 at 08:45 AM
Kittyk
• • • •
p.6 #7 · p.6 #7 · The Knot "Don't feed vendors"

deepbluejh wrote:
Can't believe we have 6 pages on this.

you could say that...

*puts sunglasses on*

photographers are quite hungry for this topic

awwwwwwwwwyeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaa

Jun 22, 2012 at 09:04 AM
sharpeshots
• • •
p.6 #8 · p.6 #8 · The Knot "Don't feed vendors"

I'm noticing that this season i am actually getting a much higher percentage of people who are deciding not to. In that case i typically go off site and grab a bite to eat. In the meantime, i've learned to find out well in advance if they are or not to avoid any awkwardness later.

Jun 22, 2012 at 11:20 AM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.6 #9 · p.6 #9 · The Knot "Don't feed vendors"

tobicus wrote:
I listened to that last night, and it was gooood.

I tried and I can't get the thing to work!

I hit "View In iTunes" and it takes you to the Apple website's page to download iTunes, which I already have.

I hit "play preview" and it hangs forever on "preview loading".

I refresh the page to try again and all the play options have now turned to "preview stopped".

Form before function. No downloadable MP3.

Edited on Jun 22, 2012 at 11:41 AM · View previous versions

Jun 22, 2012 at 11:29 AM
Ian Ivey
• • •
p.6 #10 · p.6 #10 · The Knot "Don't feed vendors"

Yeah, it hangs in my browser, too, so I just opened it in iTunes directly, and it works fine, there.

Jun 22, 2012 at 11:38 AM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.6 #11 · p.6 #11 · The Knot "Don't feed vendors"

Ian Ivey wrote:
Yeah, it hangs in my browser, too, so I just opened it in iTunes directly, and it works fine, there.

How do you do that? Do you have to open iTunes first?

Jun 22, 2012 at 11:40 AM
TRReichman
• • • •
p.6 #12 · p.6 #12 · The Knot "Don't feed vendors"

If you subscribe in iTunes it ought to download them automatically.

- trr

Jun 22, 2012 at 12:01 PM
lulu.layera
• •
p.6 #13 · p.6 #13 · The Knot "Don't feed vendors"

You guys are wimps! For destination weddings I don't charge travel, hotel or food. I ride a bicycle to keep down costs and I bring a tent too. The only problem is that I have to leave very early, sometimes months in advance not just because of the lengthy travel time, but also because I plant and grow my own food once I arrive. I used to hunt wild game before I became a vegetarian. When I first started I tried the "Free-gan" approach of using recycled food from destination area dumpsters, but I was concerned that this might reflect poorly on my brand.

OK, no really - hot meal - it's in the contract. I have no idea why I would need to bring the couple into it - hello, coordinator? The couple of times I was given a mayo dripping sandwich and chips (venue fault) or a plate of rice with a few bits of something else in it (also venue fault)? I quietly made a note in my files, I will remember the next time either of those venues come up. All the other vendors eat and maybe it's an LA thing or it's us, but I don't need to make a stink about it, we're taken care of. I eat quickly and we take turns so nothing is missed. Pictures of people eating? Rarely flattering. Many of our clients are big time foodies and they're usually excited that we appreciate the food. Last year we had one catered by Animal and we're doing one this fall at Comme Ça, yum.

Jun 22, 2012 at 12:53 PM
lisy78
• • • • •
p.6 #14 · p.6 #14 · The Knot "Don't feed vendors"

D. Diggler wrote:

Open itunes
go to itunes store (don't worry, it's free)
search for A man to fish
Subscribe
download old episodes
send me a handwritten thank you card for introducing you to that epic podcast

Jun 22, 2012 at 01:20 PM
Ian Ivey
• • •
p.6 #15 · p.6 #15 · The Knot "Don't feed vendors"

When you click the link Ale posted, it should ask you whether you want to open the application (i.e., iTunes), and you should say yes. Also, on the right side, there's a "View in iTunes" link. Either should work.

Jun 22, 2012 at 02:12 PM
mirrorrim
• •
p.6 #16 · p.6 #16 · The Knot "Don't feed vendors"

I was a second photographer for a wedding last weekend. There were TWO separate meals served, lunch and dinner. We arrived at 11:30am and had no allotted time to eat. Around 6:30pm I was getting hungry and asked the primary when we could eat, and if we were being served vendor meals. She was reluctant, but asked the wedding planner if we were getting a meal or break.

The wedding planner, WHILE HOLDING A PLATE OF DELICIOUS HOT STEAMING BBQ, told us we should not eat any of the food, and if we did to basically run and hide and eat it as fast as possible so that no one noticed we weren't working. Her tone was very judgmental and condescending. She then continued to shove food in her mouth. Oh, she also said there were some gold fish crackers that were available to the kids being babysat that we could eat.

I was prepared anyway and brought snacks to eat, but I was shocked that a fellow wedding vendor had such little regard for us. Come to find out, near the end of the evening the bride encouraged us to grab some food before it's gone.

Anyway, a provided meal or break to eat is definitely going in my contract! I felt so guilty eating my gold fish crackers and sitting down for 5 minutes :-S

Jun 27, 2012 at 08:06 PM
tobicus
• • •
p.6 #17 · p.6 #17 · The Knot "Don't feed vendors"

In our most recent wedding, the bride and groom went as far as providing us with namecards and table reservations. We've got some awesome clients.

Jun 27, 2012 at 08:36 PM
MarcAnthony
• • •
[X]
p.6 #18 · p.6 #18 · The Knot "Don't feed vendors"

Whenever I ask the caterer if we are being fed, I DO THIS and it always works

http://www.fascinationstart.com/artwork/imagery/l.KittyEyesPussBoots_LG.jpg

Jun 27, 2012 at 08:56 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.6 #19 · p.6 #19 · The Knot "Don't feed vendors"

tobicus wrote:
the bride and groom went as far as providing us with namecards and table reservations

That's the way it SHOULD be done.

Jun 27, 2012 at 09:04 PM
marti.g3
• • • •
[X]
p.6 #20 · p.6 #20 · The Knot "Don't feed vendors"

mirrorrim wrote:
I was a second photographer for a wedding last weekend. There were TWO separate meals served, lunch and dinner. We arrived at 11:30am and had no allotted time to eat. Around 6:30pm I was getting hungry and asked the primary when we could eat, and if we were being served vendor meals. She was reluctant, but asked the wedding planner if we were getting a meal or break.

The wedding planner, WHILE HOLDING A PLATE OF DELICIOUS HOT STEAMING BBQ, told us we should not eat any of the food, and if we did to basically run and hide and
...Show more

What a bitch ! We don't work for planners or coordinators. So anything that she would have had to say carries no weight. I would have gone, got a plate and ate it right there.....screw her.

Jun 27, 2012 at 10:24 PM
       7       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

7       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.