Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List
  

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

1      
2
       3              6       7       end
  

Archive 2012 · The Knot "Don't feed vendors"
  
 
MarcAnthony
Offline
• • •
Account locked
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · The Knot "Don't feed vendors"


It isn't about whether or not we should be fed, it's about the misinformation the Knot puts out there. For them to just say that the caterers will have enough food left over or we will have hors d'oeuvres to munch on is ludicrous. Not a single writer for the knot is in the field to even know what it's like. They sit behind a desk and just make shit up. They are supposed to provide sound advice but they do anything but that. Just like that article they wrote about wanting vendors to discount.


Jun 20, 2012 at 02:44 AM
delsol9400
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · The Knot "Don't feed vendors"


Apparently that's an old article (several years) that keeps getting recirculated, and the knot has re-written it since


Jun 20, 2012 at 03:31 AM
marti.g3
Offline
• • • •
Account locked
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · The Knot "Don't feed vendors"


I still don't understand how the Knot can continue to bite the hand that feeds them. "Advertise with us so WE can screw you down the road"............


Jun 20, 2012 at 03:52 AM
marti.g3
Offline
• • • •
Account locked
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · The Knot "Don't feed vendors"


MarcAnthony wrote:
It isn't about whether or not we should be fed, it's about the misinformation the Knot puts out there. For them to just say that the caterers will have enough food left over or we will have hors d'oeuvres to munch on is ludicrous. Not a single writer for the knot is in the field to even know what it's like. They sit behind a desk and just make shit up. They are supposed to provide sound advice but they do anything but that. Just like that article they wrote about wanting vendors to discount.


100+



Jun 20, 2012 at 03:53 AM
DavidCZ
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · The Knot "Don't feed vendors"


blueirisarts wrote:
I really wish the article would have said something about allowing time to eat... I hate being served last and having the toasts start a moment later and then this happens...

http://whatshouldwecallweddingphoto.tumblr.com/post/22811413724/when-i-discover-the-catering-staff-has-cleared-my-plate


So true. The best time for photographers to be served is right after the wedding party. So that we still have enough time to eat and then fully re-charged to take photos.

If we are the last to be served, then good luck to grab something to eat, since the toast will start in the next minute.



Jun 20, 2012 at 04:07 AM
tobicus
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · The Knot "Don't feed vendors"


^ Yup, that happened in our second wedding. We ate later on, and just as we started eating, the toasts began, and one of us had to eat and guard the food while the other covered them.


Jun 20, 2012 at 04:34 AM
sboerup
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · The Knot "Don't feed vendors"


This is usually never an issue for me and I hardly ever bring it up. However, my last wedding we had:
-amazing stuffed chile rellenos (appetizer)
-amazing salad
-fried chicken tenders with stale fries (dinner)




Jun 20, 2012 at 06:14 AM
57suzi
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · The Knot "Don't feed vendors"


I want the lemon parfait


Jun 20, 2012 at 08:27 AM
Kittyk
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · The Knot "Don't feed vendors"


we don't have it in contract or mention it during consults, but it is rarely an issue. If it happens that we have no place by the table and food planed, it is usually because they forgot and gets fixed during the evening.
But i have to admit that when there is table seat, with our name on it, it sure does affect how we feel.



Jun 20, 2012 at 09:16 AM
MalachiConstant
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · The Knot "Don't feed vendors"


Most times the B/G seek me out and make me sit down to eat! Then again, I am the kind of person that can run full steam for a 14 hour day with only a bagel in the morning. Thew few times I have not gotten a meal the B/G apologized left and right, and I ordered a pizza on my way home


Anyways, no one is obligated to feed us. I know it is different to a degree, but when I'm on an all day commercial shoot I certainly don't expect to be fed by the clients.

Also, the knot is ridic.



Jun 20, 2012 at 12:38 PM
 

Search in Used Dept. 



TAGfan
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · The Knot "Don't feed vendors"


MarcAnthony wrote:
It isn't about whether or not we should be fed, it's about the misinformation the Knot puts out there. For them to just say that the caterers will have enough food left over or we will have hors d'oeuvres to munch on is ludicrous. Not a single writer for the knot is in the field to even know what it's like. They sit behind a desk and just make shit up. They are supposed to provide sound advice but they do anything but that. Just like that article they wrote about wanting vendors to discount.



I agree with this, and its the reason why I posted it in the first place. Not that I think we are not getting fed on purpose, but the article just seems kind of off base....



Jun 20, 2012 at 12:52 PM
form
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · The Knot "Don't feed vendors"


Most brides offer or insist that I eat something. I do not eat most of the time because I intentionally try to use weddings as my "fasting" periods to offset the amount of eating I do the rest of my days ;\


Jun 20, 2012 at 01:17 PM
TTLKurtis
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · The Knot "Don't feed vendors"


MattSepeta wrote:
Anyways, no one is obligated to feed us. I know it is different to a degree, but when I'm on an all day commercial shoot I certainly don't expect to be fed by the clients.


Uhhhh, if you're not working a lunch into an all-day commercial shoot, that's your own fault lol. I've never done a full-day ANYTHING where I don't eat. Usually if it's a long commercial shoot, the client or one of their employees are with us the whole time, and they get hungry and start asking about food before we do.

Humans eat food. It's just sort of this thing that we have to do. Non-negotiable, and a client can go to hell if they think I'm working all day without eating.



Jun 20, 2012 at 03:26 PM
jneilosu
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · The Knot "Don't feed vendors"


I don't like the Knot, but I can't say this article was ridiculous, compared to some of the others I've seen them put out.

1) it should be in your contract
2) they pointed out that you can't expect great work from a hungry photographer




Jun 20, 2012 at 03:30 PM
lisy78
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · The Knot "Don't feed vendors"


I dunno... it's nice to get fed, and by the way I just shot two weddings with Scott in NJ and got some of the best food I've ever gotten at a wedding (read: it wasn't chicken)... but I find the whole princess on the pea reaction by some posters to be ridiculous.

Red flag? Really? Not book the client over a vendor meal?

I mean haven't any of you ever backpacked or gone hiking? Are you seriously unable to make yourself a decent sandwich, place it in a cooler and pull it out while the B&G are eating?

Again it's nice to get Fillet Mignon or surf and turf ... or whatever... but that's an insignificant aspect of the day. Serioulsy leaving for McDonalds ... McDONALDS!?!?! and then not putting out your best for the clients?

Frankly my pet peeve is when the B&G insist that I'm so special to them that they have reserved a seat for me at one of the tables. I'd much rather go sit in another room for 10 minutes and eat a sandwich I made than have a steak next to aunt Gertrude... I need the 10 minutes AWAY from people, the ability to sprawl my gear out to change batteries... to stretch... to let out that fart I've been keeping in for the last hour and a half....



Jun 20, 2012 at 03:47 PM
TTLKurtis
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · The Knot "Don't feed vendors"


lisy78 wrote:
I need the 10 minutes AWAY from people, the ability to sprawl my gear out to change batteries... to stretch... to let out that fart I've been keeping in for the last hour and a half....


He's serious about that last part. Silently, Deadly Serious.



Jun 20, 2012 at 04:03 PM
ted nghiem
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · The Knot "Don't feed vendors"


TTLKurtis wrote:
He's serious about that last part. Silently, Deadly Serious.


Silent, but deadly.



Jun 20, 2012 at 04:30 PM
MalachiConstant
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · The Knot "Don't feed vendors"


TTLKurtis wrote:
Uhhhh, if you're not working a lunch into an all-day commercial shoot, that's your own fault lol. I've never done a full-day ANYTHING where I don't eat. Usually if it's a long commercial shoot, the client or one of their employees are with us the whole time, and they get hungry and start asking about food before we do.

Humans eat food. It's just sort of this thing that we have to do. Non-negotiable, and a client can go to hell if they think I'm working all day without eating.


Well of course I eat, I'm just saying I don't expect anyone to feed me. I like grabbing an egg mcmuffin on the way to a wedding with a couple granola bars and a big water bottle in my car in case there is no dinner for me. Not a problem.

And with our commercial shoots we often buy lunch for the client as a goodwill sign. I agree with Ale that expecting to be eating the $whoknowshowmuch a plate meal along with the guests helps contribute to the "general distaste for wedding photographers" we have managed to build up.

And I totally agree, if a photographer shows up expecting to be fed and there is no plate for him/her, lesson learned. Bring food next time and be prepared



Jun 20, 2012 at 04:46 PM
Prettym1k3
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · The Knot "Don't feed vendors"


In all of our contracts we note that we require being fed, and a time to eat. And honestly, even though we recommend giving us at least 15-20 minutes to sit, rest our feet, and enjoy our meal, we usually horf it down in about 5 minutes.


Jun 20, 2012 at 04:51 PM
marti.g3
Offline
• • • •
Account locked
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · The Knot "Don't feed vendors"


MattSepeta wrote:
Most times the B/G seek me out and make me sit down to eat! Then again, I am the kind of person that can run full steam for a 14 hour day with only a bagel in the morning. Thew few times I have not gotten a meal the B/G apologized left and right, and I ordered a pizza on my way home


Anyways, no one is obligated to feed us. I know it is different to a degree, but when I'm on an all day commercial shoot I certainly don't expect to be fed by the clients.

Also, the
...Show more

They may not be "obligated" to feed you, and being as young as you are, your physical stamina and ability to go without eating is much more resistant to loss of energy or dehydration.
Photographing weddings is a physically demanding job. It's not just standing around shooting the birds in the trees as most people would think it is. When you are on your feet for 8-10 hours, lugging gear around, running, stopping, bending, directing, posing and telling people what to do and all the while being as pleasant as a nun, the body is physically exhausted after all of that work.
It needs food and nourishment. Now, energy bars can do wonders. Water too.

In the end, it comes down to each individuals business model and how they choose to work with a client. I don't demand a meal in my contract, but 90% of the time I do eat. It's been rare that I had to actually leave and get my own food, but I've done that when told by my client that we would be fed but the venue flat out refused to do that.

Then there's been the times that the client forced a venue to feed us after they paid for our meals and the venue said they had run out.







Jun 20, 2012 at 05:03 PM
1      
2
       3              6       7       end




FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

1      
2
       3              6       7       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password