Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       3              6       7       end

Archive 2012 · The Knot "Don't feed vendors"

TAGfan
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · The Knot "Don't feed vendors"

ALright so I'm paraphrasing, but I think this is the dumbest article I've read in a while.

"Well, it's definitely nice to feed your wedding professionals if they're going to be working a 4-6 hour reception, plus the ceremony. But if your photographer expects a meal, she really should include that in her contract (you might want to mention that to her). You're not exactly obligated, but on the other hand, you can't expect tip-top service from photographers and musicians who are light-headed with hunger, no matter how much you're paying them!
But more seriously: Remember that your caterers will make more food than is needed "just in case," so there will likely be plenty for your wedding professionals to munch on. Or, arrange for the caterers to put together another meal for the photographer, musicians, and others. Simple sandwiches will do. And there may be hors d'oeuvres left over too. Don't worry about it too much -- just mention it to whoever will be in charge of the food, and trust them to provide.
-- The Knot"

Read more: Q&A: Wedding Vendors: Do We Have to Feed Them?TheKnot.com - http://wedding.theknot.com/wedding-planning/planning-a-wedding/articles/do-we-have-to-feed-wedding-vendors.aspx#ixzz1yGTUYTY1

http://wedding.theknot.com/wedding-planning/planning-a-wedding/articles/do-we-have-to-feed-wedding-vendors.aspx

Jun 19, 2012 at 01:21 PM
Sean Hoffman
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · The Knot "Don't feed vendors"

It's in my contract. They have to feed me something or I'll go off site to keep my blood sugar up. My packages offer all-day coverage so getting ready at the salon through the end of the reception is just too long to go without eating.

Jun 19, 2012 at 01:25 PM
gabemc
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · The Knot "Don't feed vendors"

this seems to be a USA issue. up here in Canada i have never had to ask to be feed...in fact i get emails months prior asking what i'd like to eat. just received this last week from the bride asking for my choices:

Appetizer:
Duck confit or Beet carpaccio

Salad:
Spinach or Caesar

Main:
Beef tenderloin or
Chicken breast or
Salmon or
Butternut squash ravioli

Dessert:
White chocolate grand marnier cheesecake or
Lemon parfait

Jun 19, 2012 at 01:42 PM
deepbluejh
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · The Knot "Don't feed vendors"

To say you are paraphrasing is putting it mildly.

"Don't feed vendors" is NOT what the article said at all. All it said is that they aren't obligated to feed you - and they aren't.

In six years and 150+ weddings I haven't been fed maybe 3 times. It just isn't a huge deal in my mind. Whether or not you are fed you should ALWAYS carry snacks in the bag just in case.

Jun 19, 2012 at 01:52 PM
eNoBlog
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · The Knot "Don't feed vendors"

What's the controversy here? That the B&G are not obligated to feed us, unless we've specifically made them sign up to it contractually? Where's is the fallacy in that statement? Seems like a truism to me. We can argue about whether it's in the B&G's best interest not to feed us. Do they want us heading out to McDonalds or out to the cooler in our car to get our munchies, or do they want us with them as long as possible? We can also argue about how much is really saved by not feeding the vendors, and how silly all this is. Still, I don't think the Knot (paraphrased) article is even going as far as arguing against feeding your vendors -- seems like a balanced statement to me (you don't want your photographer hungry, there's bound to be extra food anyway, etc.).

Again, where's the reason for all the flying dandruff?

Personally, I come prepared with a couple of energy bars to get me through. Even if they're feeding me, I may not want to be eating when the shots are happening.

Jun 19, 2012 at 02:02 PM
PatFurey89
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · The Knot "Don't feed vendors"

I've never had an issue.

Also: the Knot is garbage.

Jun 19, 2012 at 02:07 PM
dmacmillan
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · The Knot "Don't feed vendors"

gabemc wrote:
this seems to be a USA issue. up here in Canada i have never had to ask to be feed...

You Canadian people are so polite...

Jun 19, 2012 at 02:35 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · The Knot "Don't feed vendors"

TAGfan wrote:
your caterers will make more food than is needed "just in case," so there will likely be plenty for your wedding professionals

BS!!!!!!

Just this past weekend, the head of catering told me they were running short even for the guests so there was a question as to whether there would be anything left for the vendors.

Jun 19, 2012 at 02:49 PM
JR Magat
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · The Knot "Don't feed vendors"

wow, this is good timing bc The Knot emailed me about advertising with them. I wasn't considering it due to the crazy costs, but this backs up that decision even more.

i also include meals in my wedding contract. actually added it when Zach & Jody Gray mentioned it in their CL session. i'm pretty new to the wedding scene but i haven't had issues thus far.

Jun 19, 2012 at 03:02 PM
EVO088
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · The Knot "Don't feed vendors"

cocktail hour food is better anyways! dried up chicken? no thank you!

Jun 19, 2012 at 03:33 PM
DavidCZ
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · The Knot "Don't feed vendors"

The problem is that there is usually no time to eat during Cocktail hour.

I am always busy taking formal group photos, wedding party fun photos and then the bride and groom photos during cocktail hour. By the time the photo is done, all cocktail food is gone and I am even more exhausted. Then the grand entrance is the next thing coming up.

So I have to rely on a good dinner to keep it going during the reception.

Jun 19, 2012 at 04:02 PM
joosay
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · The Knot "Don't feed vendors"

I can't wait for my contract to end next month.

Jun 19, 2012 at 04:24 PM
MarcAnthony
• • •
[X]
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · The Knot "Don't feed vendors"

I am so sick of the Knot and all the BS it spews. I couldn't imagine spending your hard earned money to advertise on their site and then get slapped in the face by the people you are paying. I would NEVER advertise on the Knot and I find the people who consider them to be the holy grail of wedding information a total joke. FTK.

Jun 19, 2012 at 05:11 PM
Brian Virts
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · The Knot "Don't feed vendors"

I've found that the nicer the wedding (and food), the least likely you will be eating what everyone else is. Some high-class second shooter gigs.."Your vendor meal is in the other room"... This hasn't been the case with the brides I book. They are usually mentioning how I'm going to fed too during the in-person inquiry.

Jun 19, 2012 at 06:16 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · The Knot "Don't feed vendors"

Brian Virts wrote:
I've found that the nicer the wedding (and food), the least likely you will be eating what everyone else is.

I just had a meeting with a prospective client. The bride said they probably wouldn't be feeding me because the high-end venue had told them they would be charged to feed the vendors. And yet the bride wants me to go all-out for them on the wedding day. Riggghhhttt. Good luck with that one, sweetheart.

Guess I'll have to ditch-out sometime during the day to find a McDonalds somewhere. And you KNOW, while I'm scarfing down my Big Mac, I'll be planning all the kick-*** shots I'm going to take when I get back to the wedding. Righhhhtttt.

Jun 19, 2012 at 06:35 PM
Brian Virts
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · The Knot "Don't feed vendors"

That probably would have been a deal breaker for me. I look for clients that want a win-win experience. When they start cutting me out, I close down. Money is nice, but feeling a sense of belonging and being apart of what's happening; directly or indirectly is paramount to me booking a client. Your MO might differ...greatly...

Jun 19, 2012 at 06:47 PM
RichardLavigne
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · The Knot "Don't feed vendors"

deepbluejh wrote:
To say you are paraphrasing is putting it mildly.

"Don't feed vendors" is NOT what the article said at all. All it said is that they aren't obligated to feed you - and they aren't.

In six years and 150+ weddings I haven't been fed maybe 3 times. It just isn't a huge deal in my mind. Whether or not you are fed you should ALWAYS carry snacks in the bag just in case.

I agree with this...

Jun 19, 2012 at 08:41 PM
G-Gore
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · The Knot "Don't feed vendors"

We had similar situation only once or twice. Most of our clients are thinking about us well in advance. But I learned my lesson in the past and I always carry a lunch box :-) It stays in the car. I've been in the venues that served horrible food - I couldn't even touch it - a homemade sandwich saved the night :-)

Jun 19, 2012 at 09:08 PM
Inku Yo
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · The Knot "Don't feed vendors"

Ok, so cussin' ain't allowed. Sorry for my previous outburst about The Knot, Fred.

The Knot can suck a cocktail shrimp!

Jun 19, 2012 at 09:27 PM
blueirisarts
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · The Knot "Don't feed vendors"

I really wish the article would have said something about allowing time to eat... I hate being served last and having the toasts start a moment later and then this happens...

http://whatshouldwecallweddingphoto.tumblr.com/post/22811413724/when-i-discover-the-catering-staff-has-cleared-my-plate

Jun 19, 2012 at 09:37 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.