Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · First Crab Photos in a Long Time

MarcG19
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · First Crab Photos in a Long Time

Saw these buggers and thought I had to take a picture of them.

Comments welcome - in particular, suggestions on how to do better next time. I obviously didn't use a macro lens for either of them. I was testing me Olympus OM-D EM-5, and the only telephoto I had was the 40-150, which I used in both cases.

First picture was handheld, using only available light. I focused to 300mm 35mm equivalency, set to f5.6 (DOF equivalent of f/11), ISO 800. I suppose a tripod would have been better, and perhaps more DOF. This is also almost a 50% crop. I should have been closer, in retrospect. I also played around a lot in PS, trying to further defocus out of focus elements, playing with vibrance/saturation/levels, and adding a Color Efex polarization effect. (I oddly didn't use a polarizer when I first took the picture!!!). I also probably should darken the out of focus element out in front.

Second was a mistake. I'd seen several land crabs around, after a wide angle shot, but they almost all disappeared before I could get the tele on. I rushed to get this one, and got this, originally massively underexposed and at ISO 6400 (280mm 35mm equivalent focal length). Post processing was adding about 1.66 stops in exposure, plaing with the color balance and levels some. Given all that, I don't think it's too bad, and I like how some of the area around the crab is (if unintentionally) around to give a sense of what environment it lives in.

MarcG19 2012

Crab in Tidepool, Izu Peninsula, Japan

MarcG19 2012

Land Crab, Izu Peninsula, Japan

Jun 19, 2012 at 03:53 AM
douter
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · First Crab Photos in a Long Time

Nice Marc, particularly the second. It is nice to see different subjects on here.
Douglas

Jun 19, 2012 at 01:29 PM
Conrad Tan
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · First Crab Photos in a Long Time

#2 for me

Jun 20, 2012 at 11:27 PM
birdied
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · First Crab Photos in a Long Time

Nice shots ! Really like the second one.

Birdie

Jun 21, 2012 at 01:45 AM

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password