Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Shooting with Nikon D3/D3s and primes

nick53097
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Shooting with Nikon D3/D3s and primes

I was doing my weddings with two Nikon D700 (one with 24-70 and second with 70-200 lenses) and was pretty satisfied with results. Recently I get a D3s and after using it with new 85mm G f/1.8 lens I am constantly thinking to switch to D3s and using primes instead (like new 85G f/1.8 and 28G f/1.8). Need to hear from you if you shooting with two D3/D3s and primes. Especially if you move from zooms.
Thank you,
Nick

Jun 18, 2012 at 05:47 PM
tobicus
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · Shooting with Nikon D3/D3s and primes

I'm going to chime in since the D3 and the D700 are the same camera as far as IQ and AF are concerned. My wife and I shoot with four primes: a 35, two 50s, and an 85. We love it, and have no plans to buy zooms, although we might eventually pick up a 24.

The setup is very light and quick and to be honest, we spend very little time worrying about which lens to use. Personally, I really enjoy working with just one or two lenses and moving about, because it immerses me more in what's going on, especially when working with a shorter lens like a 35.

Jun 18, 2012 at 06:04 PM
Kittyk
• • • •
p.1 #3 · Shooting with Nikon D3/D3s and primes

there is no real big difference between D700 / D3 / D3s imo, except bigger bulk on the one digit cams.
there is nothing you cannot do with zooms what you can do with those two lenses too imo. one stop of light/DOF is outweighed by less flexibility and much slower AF performance and sometimes lower image quality.
I am prime shooter at heart though, but you already had the best for the job and reason to move should be that you have your zooms glued at one position and need lower bulk and some light gain, not just because "you can". When i have 24-70 on, i use it either on 24 or 70, not to zoom :-). It is just to save me from carrying third body. Same with 70-200. I usually have it at 200mm because other cam is occupied with about 35-50, rest i can walk.

Jun 18, 2012 at 10:51 PM
M. Magallon
• •
p.1 #4 · Shooting with Nikon D3/D3s and primes

Well, I'd love to get a 200F2 prime, but it's expensive and much heavier than a 70-200 anyway. I find myself using 200 a lot, and not just for distance, but compression too.

Kitty summed it up perfect, but I do like using primes when I have the time and in certain situations I think they're perfect. During a wedding, the bride getting ready is the perfect time to use them. In fact, I leave the zooms in the bag and leave my primes on a surface nearby. I know I can switch focal length with a turn of a knob w/ my zooms, but primes force me to slow down, even a little bit, to think of the composition a little more and as crazy as a wedding day is, bridal prep is the least hectic part of the day. Since I have two cameras, I don't switch out that much. I also feel shallow DOF can make some photos exceptional.

However, when it comes to the ceremony and reception, the 70-200 is stuck like glue and either a 24-70 or a wide prime like the 24 or 35. If I'm by myself w/ no second, the 70-200 and 24-70 without a doubt.

Jun 18, 2012 at 11:41 PM
brett maxwell
• • •
p.1 #5 · Shooting with Nikon D3/D3s and primes

I shoot all primes with a D3 and D3S. Mostly 35 and 85, with a bit of 50, 150 and tiny bit of 20mm thrown in. Actually, it's only the ceremony I use both, most the day I use one body. So what was the question?

Jun 19, 2012 at 12:56 AM
DavidWEGS
• • • •
p.1 #6 · Shooting with Nikon D3/D3s and primes

While I do use a zoom for family groups/formals and ceremony wides, I primarily use the 35/85 combo.

I am just getting into the 28/1.8 and like it so far. I have yet to use it for a wedding though as I am unsure if I want that wide for my getting ready and low light dance shots.

I am not afraid of the prime thing, but find I want more sometimes.

Jun 19, 2012 at 02:12 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

MN_Migrant
• •
p.1 #7 · Shooting with Nikon D3/D3s and primes

Not quite a D3/D3S, but I shoot a D700 with a grip and use a 24/50/85mm combo. With a Thinktank Lenschanger 3, shooting with one body is completely manageable and I prefer it to my old way (the 24-70/70-200 combo). The only time I revert back to my old way is when I can't be bothered to swap lenses (i.e., specifically during certain parts of the ceremony.

Jun 19, 2012 at 02:36 AM
Kittyk
• • • •
p.1 #8 · Shooting with Nikon D3/D3s and primes

MN_Migrant wrote:
Not quite a D3/D3S, but I shoot a D700 with a grip and use a 24/50/85mm combo. With a Thinktank Lenschanger 3, shooting with one body is completely manageable and I prefer it to my old way (the 24-70/70-200 combo). The only time I revert back to my old way is when I can't be bothered to swap lenses (i.e., specifically during certain parts of the ceremony.

yea, i lose so many moment only to not raise camera fast enough to my eyes, let alone changing lenses.

Jun 19, 2012 at 07:24 AM
Ian Ivey
• • •
p.1 #9 · Shooting with Nikon D3/D3s and primes

I use a D3 + D3s combo with zooms. The D3 is lighter than the D700+grip, sturdier, and has better battery life (I've never had to change body batteries on a wedding shoot). As far as whether to move to two D3 or D3s bodies from the D700, I think you'll like it.

Jun 27, 2012 at 12:14 PM
elkhornsun
• • •
p.1 #10 · Shooting with Nikon D3/D3s and primes

I used primes with film and with the D1x and the D2x as I often needed f2 (f1.4 does not provide enough DOF for "sharp" pictures at weddings). That was with ISO 640 as my ceiling. With the D3 my ceiling went to ISO 6400. No need for f2 with the 4 stops I gained with the higher ISO setting.

There is not time during a wedding to be moving closer with a 35mm or further back because the 85mm is on the camera or time to change lenses when something happens as it is often over in seconds. I would lose at least 75% of my great shots if I had to switch lenses or move into position for the shot.

I want to do the best possible job and I would be shooting myself in both feet if I limited myself to primes. The only primes I use are a 16mm f2.8 fisheye and a 105mm f2 DC lens and they are used for less than 5% of my images taken at a wedding.

The comment about autofocus being a problem shows remarkable ignorance. If a camera cannot focus with a f2.8 zoom it is not going to get miraculously better with a f1.4 lens on it instead. I can only speak about the autofocus performance of the D1x, D2x, D3, D200, D300, D800, 5D, 1d Mark II, 1d Mark III, 30D, and 40D cameras. Someone somewhere may have a AF problem with their Sony or Olympus camera or a Canon Rebel or Nikon D70.

Jun 27, 2012 at 11:46 PM
tonyhart
• • • •
p.1 #11 · Shooting with Nikon D3/D3s and primes

elkhornsun wrote:
I used primes with film and with the D1x and the D2x as I often needed f2 (f1.4 does not provide enough DOF for "sharp" pictures at weddings). That was with ISO 640 as my ceiling. With the D3 my ceiling went to ISO 6400. No need for f2 with the 4 stops I gained with the higher ISO setting.

There is not time during a wedding to be moving closer with a 35mm or further back because the 85mm is on the camera or time to change lenses when something happens as it is often over in seconds. I
...Show more

There is so so much misinformation in this post. The debate will forever rage 'Primes v Zooms' but it's laughable to suggest that wedding coverage cannot be effectively provided using primes. You state yourself that you used to shoot primes in the days of film. Did you lose 75% of your good shots then?

I shoot largely primes and have done since the day I began as a pro. It's a personal choice. There are other ways to reach a successful outcome for sure, but to suggest that it can't be done with primes is simply ignorant.

Jun 28, 2012 at 01:31 AM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password