Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Backyard first images (C&C please)

TomK_01

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Backyard first images (C&C please)

Been trying to read as much as I can to get started. Looking for some input please. Thanks.

Song Sparrow?

American Robin

juvenile robin?

juvenile robin?

grey squirrel

house finches

house finches

house finch

house finch

northern flicker (shutter speed was way to high on this one I think, but would like confirmation and hopefully still get some composition c&c)

Thanks for looking!

Jun 17, 2012 at 05:08 PM
dorian
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Backyard first images (C&C please)

hey tom

welcome, and nice first post. birds are tough so they best advice i can give you is keep at it and always be patient. wait for the bird to do something fun/interesting and be prepared to shot when it finally does. best of luck!

dorian

Jun 17, 2012 at 08:28 PM
Shasoc
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · Backyard first images (C&C please)

Welcome to the Forum, Tom. A very good start. Clearly there is room for improvement> The first thing that comes to my mind is that you have the tendency to cut the tip of the tail So, next time make sure you have the whole bird in the frame before shooting.
As far as composition goes, make sure the subject has space in the direction it is looking to. In the last image the flicker looks like is to close to the frame and has no space in front of him.
In some images looks like you missed the focus on the subject. Try to use only the center focus point and aim to your subject eyes.
Finally, the choice of some vertical crops is creating to much negative space on top, and this makes your subject less prominent.
Here is an example of your image re-edited just to show the difference
I hope you don't mind, but it is the best way to show the meaning of my comments.
Socrate

Edited on Jun 18, 2012 at 02:02 AM · View previous versions

Jun 17, 2012 at 10:47 PM
TomK_01

p.1 #4 · Backyard first images (C&C please)

Thanks for the welcome, information, and advice. I definitely don't mind. I want to learn, so I welcome anything that'll help. Thanks again.

Jun 18, 2012 at 12:47 AM
StarNut
• • •
p.1 #5 · Backyard first images (C&C please)

Welcome, Tom. Nice set!

I'm no expert, but some of what I've learned so far may be helpful.

I notice that you use aperture priority or shutter priority on your bird photos. That's fine for many uses, but animals present their own challenges. For instance, the sun shining off the Robin's back overexposes that. Sometimes that can be fixed in post-processing, sometimes not. When your animal has a range of colors (worst case, think panda bear or bald eagle, with white and black) that challenge gets greater. When taking a photo of a bird against the sky, you often will have to over-expose compared to what the metering says, since the part of the bird you're seeing is dark.

I take a variety of test shots to figure exposure. I also pretty much settle for ISO 800, and try to have a shutter speed no slower than 1/1250 sec. Then I adjust the aperture accordingly, and keep things set manually. I try to look at my results regularly, to see if any adjustment in necessary.

It's a challenging activity, but very rewarding; you already have some results with which you should be very happy, and it only gets better from here.

Mark

Jun 18, 2012 at 02:31 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

surfnron
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · Backyard first images (C&C please)

Welcome Tom. This is a nice first post, but Socrate gave you some great advice. Keep posting and we will keep helping ~ Ron

Jun 18, 2012 at 02:33 AM
birdied
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · Backyard first images (C&C please)

Hi Tom and welcome. Nice first set. I am fairly new to this also, so can only offer from my limited still learning perspective.

I, too, shoot Nikon and I have noticed on my zoom lens that they are sometimes sharper stopped down. It looks like you shot most of these at 300mm f/5.6. I would try to shoot at 6.3 at 300mm and that may help with the sharpness. You may have to increase your ISO which might give you some noise. The noise can usually be handled in post with a noise reduction program.

Unless the subject is still I find that I shoot at shutter at least 1/1000. Again you may have to increase your ISO to get to that shutter speed. Birds and critters move even when it looks like they are still

Keep shooting and then shoot some more. Practice is really the best way to learn this. Shoot and then post and ask for help. There are plenty of wonderful people here who are willing to help.

Look forward to seeing more of your efforts.

Birdie

Jun 18, 2012 at 02:50 AM
tfoltz
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · Backyard first images (C&C please)

Hi Tom welcome to the forum
The best thing to insure good images is the light, preferably early morning or afternoon.
Harsh midday light will kill a shot. Another thing is practice, practice, practice

-Tim

Jun 18, 2012 at 03:40 AM
KCollett
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · Backyard first images (C&C please)

Ditto what Birdie said. Welcome. Shoot, observe, research, learn, ask & learn more. When in doubt, repeat the previous. Best of luck.

Jun 18, 2012 at 03:43 AM
CDaescher
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · Backyard first images (C&C please)

Welcome to the forum, Tom.
Very good advise you did get already.
Go out in good light and the rest will come with practice.
Chris

Jun 18, 2012 at 09:02 PM

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password