Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Sling straps awesome

jerbear00
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Sling straps awesome

Wish I had found them sooner. I have been using a split strap with black rapid hardware and my neck is so happy. 2 months and I love this thing.

Jun 16, 2012 at 04:56 AM
iseeq4life

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Sling straps awesome

Are they really plastic connectors? I don't think I can trust a plastic snap connector, catastrophic failure without warning might be an issue.

Otherwise, I agree it is a great system.

Jun 16, 2012 at 01:00 PM
sickbxy

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Sling straps awesome

I love the Black Rapid strap, the connectors between the strap and camera are metal. There are two adjustable plastic clips that prevent the camera from sliding up and down the strap too far, but they bear no actual weight. I trust a pro sized body with a 70-200 VR/IS lens on this strap easily. I feel the actual strap is really secure, but I do check that the screw is secure every day.

Jun 16, 2012 at 07:29 PM
Nozzleforward
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Sling straps awesome

I've been using a Black Rapid strap for over a year, been very happy with it. I've used it with 1D and 5D cameras with various lenses and haven't ever had any issues at all. The metal clip screws shut (simliar to a small locking carabiner), so it's not going to come open by accident, it even screws "down" towards the load, so it won't work it's way loose.

As far as the metal stud that screws into the bottom of the camera, I've used a small paint pen (nail polish works well too ) to make an index mark so I can confirm it's tight by glancing at it.

Jun 16, 2012 at 07:40 PM
sickbxy

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Sling straps awesome

I take the stud on and off all the time for tripod usage, so I'm stuck checking it the old fashion way, their quick release mod doesn't work for my tripod head (Vanguard GH-100 Pistol Grip Ball Head).

Jun 16, 2012 at 09:11 PM
Nozzleforward
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Sling straps awesome

Steel split ring (keyring) on the strap mount would work too, the camera would carry sideways instead of upside down, but it would still work fine I think.

Jun 16, 2012 at 09:51 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Sling straps awesome

i had a BR sling strap for awhile. lost interest in it. i found that when moving around the camera tended to swing and spin quite a bit on my side. lots of inertia there and way too easy to move without a grip on things. i found the Cinch to be more my type and am hoping a QR will show up for it. but in the mean time i find the Cinch is a considerable more stable platform to work with.

Jun 17, 2012 at 03:28 PM
mv353

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Sling straps awesome

RS-7 works great for me (5d3+70-200f2.8). For those paranoid about plastic connector (there is one, not the one you attach to the camera, but the one that connects the strap on the back) there is this small addition: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=blackrapid+buck&N=0&InitialSearch=yes&sts=ma

Jun 19, 2012 at 04:34 AM
Dave Hahn
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Sling straps awesome

mv353 wrote:
RS-7 works great for me (5d3+70-200f2.8). For those paranoid about plastic connector (there is one, not the one you attach to the camera, but the one that connects the strap on the back) there is this small addition: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=blackrapid+buck&N=0&InitialSearch=yes&sts=ma

I just use a couple of zip ties. I never unbuckle the connector anyway.

Jun 19, 2012 at 12:12 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

facedodge
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Sling straps awesome

sunsniper makes a good sling too. I use the compact version. I have no idea why they market it towards smaller cameras. It has a steel cable in it for crying out loud.

It fits my 5DIII and 135L just fine.

http://www.sun-sniper.com/sniper-strap-the-compact-steel-bear.html

Jun 19, 2012 at 07:20 PM
explorerhv
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Sling straps awesome

I am a fan of the Luma Labs cinch strap with their M connector - i keep an L bracket on 1 series cameras all the time - this is a nice solution for that

http://luma-labs.com/products/cinch

Jun 21, 2012 at 03:50 PM
Ryukyu

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Sling straps awesome

sjms wrote:
i had a BR sling strap for awhile. lost interest in it. i found that when moving around the camera tended to swing and spin quite a bit on my side. lots of inertia there and way too easy to move without a grip on things. i found the Cinch to be more my type and am hoping a QR will show up for it. but in the mean time i find the Cinch is a considerable more stable platform to work with.

I've had my Cinch for a couple of months and really like it, but would love a QR.

On their Facebook page, they claim that a QR is their number one requested improvement and they are working on it.

Jun 22, 2012 at 04:03 AM
Kent_Photo
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Sling straps awesome

I have been using the Op/Tech Utility Sling Strap for a few weeks and like it a lot. I put strap extenders on it since the ones that come with the sling strap are very short. I prefer it because it uses both body lugs and leaves the tripod screw open.

The sling part can be removed and the shoulder pad can be used as a regular camera strap if I want to. The whole rig with extender straps only cost $30.

Jun 24, 2012 at 01:34 AM
watkinssr
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Sling straps awesome

I've had three. First, I made one myself and it was ok. The RS-7 was much more comfortable So I got it. Love it. Then I got the dual strapand I cant believe how much more comfortable that is.

Jun 27, 2012 at 05:47 PM
M635_Guy
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Sling straps awesome

Love my RS-7. Was a big plus wandering around Slovakia and Austria today...

Jun 27, 2012 at 10:08 PM
wuxiekeji
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Sling straps awesome

mv353 wrote:

Is there a good strap that uses both body lugs (i.e. not tripod connector), elastic, and is extremely secure (i.e. no fasteners in the middle, secure bolt, only one solid piece on both ends of the strap rather than multiple linked parts)?

Sep 11, 2012 at 04:50 PM
surf monkey
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Sling straps awesome

jerbear00 wrote:
Wish I had found them sooner. I have been using a split strap with black rapid hardware and my neck is so happy. 2 months and I love this thing.

What is a split strap?

Sep 11, 2012 at 05:21 PM
Paulthelefty
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Sling straps awesome

I made a heavy duty DIY version using a padded rifle sling and some extra nylon plus a rifle sling mount and the latest version of the BR nut. Works a charm, super comfy with a 7d plus 70-200 2.8 all day long. I can snug it up when moving about which keeps it tighter to my body, and loosen it when shooting but still be secure at my side.

My main taboo with the BR is I don't trust the slider-swivel. Everyone says it is fine, but it just looks too skinny to me. My Uncle Mikes sling swivel is much heavier and I am confident it will take the load for a long time.

Paul

Sep 12, 2012 at 03:49 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password