FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · No more photo mechanic for me

ai3x
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · No more photo mechanic for me

Pretty darn sweet. Aperture 3.3 loads the raw previews while the card is still ingesting. Basically it's quick enough to cull all your pics at light speed while it still downloads everything.

Can't argue with that!

Alex

Jun 15, 2012 at 07:59 PM
ai3x
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · No more photo mechanic for me

OK I'm sold. Just finished first culling a wedding before all the photos had even fully downloaded. Crazy!

Jun 15, 2012 at 09:32 PM
thorne88
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · No more photo mechanic for me

wow, thats awesome. hopefully LR is next!

Jun 15, 2012 at 10:15 PM
whtrbt7
• •
[X]
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · No more photo mechanic for me

Aperture all the way ^_^. It's still faster than LR by a long shot IMO. If you want to increase speed of culling, I would suggest leaving an MBP in a centralized location while you shoot via EyeFi. One of the fastest ways to finish a wedding is to bring an editor along and have them sit with the MBP while you're shooting and making edits. If you're fast enough and brought a projector, you can show edited photos during the reception.

Jun 15, 2012 at 11:13 PM
tobicus
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · No more photo mechanic for me

^ That's a little too fast for me. I don't want to get into a rat race with the smartphone->Facebook crowd for who can get pictures up the quickest, regardless of quality.

Jun 16, 2012 at 01:02 AM
James Taylor
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · No more photo mechanic for me

I'm currently using Photo Mechanic 4 and Lightroom 4. PM to sort and pick - Lightroom for processing. PM5 just and out and I was going to upgrade. However, noticed Apertureis the same price as an upgrade to PM. Is Aperture really that fast now? I would be using aperture in a non-managed library mode (so I could still use LR if I wanted). Would I loose all the speed increase of 3.3 if my library isnt managed?

Aug 13, 2012 at 06:06 PM
S-Man23
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · No more photo mechanic for me

Last time I used Aperture it was before I started using Lightroom. All I remember from it is how long it took to make an adjustment to an image, particularly a local adjustment with the brush or gradient tool.
This is on an '08 MBP, so maybe it's faster with newer machines, but for me nothing beats PM/LR for speed.

Aug 13, 2012 at 06:33 PM
James Taylor
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · No more photo mechanic for me

Yes, I've heard the 3.3 update came with some speed - anyone using it can confirm this?

Aug 14, 2012 at 11:30 AM
Prettym1k3
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · No more photo mechanic for me

Can someone tell me if, when using PM, after you select your images and sort them, when you import them, can you still tell LR to render 1:1 previews?

Sorry for the thread jack.

I'm a PC guy, so no Aperture for me.

Aug 14, 2012 at 12:01 PM
cineski
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · No more photo mechanic for me

Yes, I sure hope LR4 does something to up the speed. I'm going nuts to the point I'm thinking of buying a new computer. Problem is, the processing in LR4 is much better.

Aug 14, 2012 at 01:30 PM
S-Man23
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · No more photo mechanic for me

Prettym1k3 wrote:
Can someone tell me if, when using PM, after you select your images and sort them, when you import them, can you still tell LR to render 1:1 previews?

I don't see why not. As long as you import them to LR after sorting through PM.
I cull with PM, drop keepers into a "RAW Keepers" folder then just import that into LR and check the 1:1 previews box on import.

Aug 14, 2012 at 02:00 PM
ai3x
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · No more photo mechanic for me

James Taylor wrote:
I'm currently using Photo Mechanic 4 and Lightroom 4. PM to sort and pick - Lightroom for processing. PM5 just and out and I was going to upgrade. However, noticed Apertureis the same price as an upgrade to PM. Is Aperture really that fast now? I would be using aperture in a non-managed library mode (so I could still use LR if I wanted). Would I loose all the speed increase of 3.3 if my library isnt managed?

Yeah it's that quick. Obviously if you're doing adjustments then that can take a touch longer but if you're just culling in quick preview mode it's lightning fast.

Aug 14, 2012 at 06:27 PM
Scott Mosher
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · No more photo mechanic for me

Prettym1k3 wrote:

Yes, I do it all the time. I set up PM so LR reads the color coding, stars, etc. Cull the images by marking them green or red, then drag them into LR. Tell LR to render 1:1 previews on import. Let the import run & grab a snack or two and then off to the edit races.

Aug 14, 2012 at 07:39 PM
James Taylor
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · No more photo mechanic for me

ai3x wrote:
Yeah it's that quick. Obviously if you're doing adjustments then that can take a touch longer but if you're just culling in quick preview mode it's lightning fast.

Thanks! That's what I needed to know.

Aug 15, 2012 at 09:38 AM
ryan21
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · No more photo mechanic for me

Yup I switched to A3 about four months ago and it is screaming fast on my MBPr. I love it, really don't see the point of Photo Mechanic with the features and performance of A3.

Aug 15, 2012 at 10:10 AM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.