Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       5       end

Archive 2012 · Ready to walk on a potential client...

DmitriM
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Ready to walk on a potential client...

I've dealt with difficult clients like that in the past a number of times. All of them turned out to be wonderful during the wedding(except one).

What you need to do is send your firm and final email and give them the deadline. Stop talking with parents and sisters and give your deadline to the couple. Tell them they have say 2 days to mail the contract and deposit as agreed and perhaps mention that you have another client or booking. Explain that no rewrites to the contract is allowed. Sometimes rewriting a small portion can affect the whole agreement and it may lose a cohesive part of it.
Going back and forth AND especially through emails is not a good idea. You put yourself into this situation yourself by all of those exchanges. Stop it and write a final email or better call them. If they don't listen then turn them down.

Just because someone is trying to get a deal, doesn't mean they are bad people. That's nonsense. Sometimes WE,ourselves bring the worst in people by our "sales tactics" and our way of dealing with them and then blame the clients and label them...

Jun 15, 2012 at 01:39 PM
MarcAnthony
• • •
[X]
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Ready to walk on a potential client...

Seriously pull a Marcia Brady. Tell her something suddenly came up.

Jun 15, 2012 at 01:43 PM
tdong
• • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Ready to walk on a potential client...

This will not be a happy ending. Best of luck.

Jun 15, 2012 at 01:49 PM
jstephens62
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Ready to walk on a potential client...

"I cannot provide the kind of service that you expect. It is better for both of us to recognize this early, so you have plenty of time to find someone who is a better match for you. I will not be able to provide services for your wedding. Thank you for considering me, I am sure you will find a photographer who will better meet your needs. Best Regards."

Jun 15, 2012 at 01:53 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Ready to walk on a potential client...

Normally, I'd say do the job no matter what if it was this close. However, you should let it go. It's only going to get worse. I counted at least 4 times in there I would have walked already. Bullet 1 was the first.

Jun 15, 2012 at 02:05 PM
photolove84
• • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Ready to walk on a potential client...

deepbluejh wrote:
And you seem to be directing some measure of ire at me for this. I'm not sure why. I don't disagree with you on any of these points.

I sincerely apologize that it seems that way. I certainly didn't intend for it to.

Jun 15, 2012 at 02:24 PM
Kittyk
• • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Ready to walk on a potential client...

if it starts like this, wait for how it get worse.
i would walk away, seriously.

Jun 15, 2012 at 02:32 PM
TTLKurtis
• • • • • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Ready to walk on a potential client...

TRReichman wrote:
Send them over, I'll book them. Difficult people end up having to pay more because so many people walk away.

- trr

Haha, somehow I don't think this is your kind of client.

I'm with you about not minding 'difficult' clients (I'm a difficult person to work for, I'm sure, so I get those people), but there's a difference between someone who is difficult or picky or anal, and someone who is just a cheap turd.

Jun 15, 2012 at 02:33 PM
Steve Tinetti
• • • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Ready to walk on a potential client...

It may be part of their culture to wheel and deal like this. Give them the deal you are comfortable with and if it is not meant to me, let them walk - not you. This includes everything down to them either mailing you the contract or driving it to you. You may be surprised at how things may change once they realize they not are getting any more movement from you. As long as you keep moving, they will keep pushing. It is easy for us to say RUN away as fast as you can, you don't need the headache. But this is obviously a job you really want or you would not have put this much effort into it. They may need you more than you need them, but they will not show it until you hold their feet to the fire.

Jun 15, 2012 at 03:07 PM
DavidCZ
• • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Ready to walk on a potential client...

You did the right thing by walking away.

I would have walked away at the beginning. The price they see is the price they pay. I have to be fair and honest to all the brides. So there is no negotiation unless in very special cases.

Jun 15, 2012 at 03:15 PM
CRFTony
• • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Ready to walk on a potential client...

Your photography is excellent. As others have said, that's a popular date. Are you afraid you won't book it if you turn them away? I wouldn't be surprised if you booked it with a client who paid your full price AND didn't cause you so many headaches.

If I were in your shoes, I'd run.

Jun 15, 2012 at 03:17 PM
TTLKurtis
• • • • • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Ready to walk on a potential client...

Steve Tinetti wrote:
It may be part of their culture to wheel and deal like this. Give them the deal you are comfortable with and if it is not meant to me, let them walk - not you. This includes everything down to them either mailing you the contract or driving it to you. You may be surprised at how things may change once they realize they not are getting any more movement from you. As long as you keep moving, they will keep pushing. It is easy for us to say RUN away as fast as you can, you don't need
...Show more

Yeah you do make a good point Steve, I wonder if it would have gotten to this point if the OP had stood his ground.

I've yet to have a situation like this, and people complain about this sort of stuff all the time, so I don't know if it's the client that is necessarily the problem or the photographer, or a combination.

I've had people ask for discounts or my 'best price' and it's a pretty simple answer: the price is the price, we can create a custom collection with less coverage or something to get the price down, but we can not just change the price.

Jun 15, 2012 at 03:18 PM
deepbluejh
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Ready to walk on a potential client...

Steve Tinetti wrote:
It may be part of their culture to wheel and deal like this. Give them the deal you are comfortable with and if it is not meant to me, let them walk - not you. This includes everything down to them either mailing you the contract or driving it to you. You may be surprised at how things may change once they realize they not are getting any more movement from you. As long as you keep moving, they will keep pushing. It is easy for us to say RUN away as fast as you can, you don't need
...Show more

This is exactly right.

I have found my South Asian couples tend to negotiate much more heavily than my American couples. My American couples couldn't negotiate their way out of a wet paper bag while some of my South Asian couples are more akin to the Macgyver of negotiating. It's just a part of how the culture does business.

It's very easy to say "run away" at the slightest hint of wanting to negotiate, but in the end this is probably not the wisest thing to do. It's better to give a little, then stand firm and see what happens. The mistake here on my part was giving too much and being too flexible. In retrospect I realize that but all I can do now is not make anything worse.

After my polite, but firm, response to the latest request, I only give the booking about a 30% chance of succeeding. I won't be losing any sleep with it either way.

Jun 15, 2012 at 03:25 PM
AA Fotografi
• •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Ready to walk on a potential client...

WOW!!!!
I've been running a professional band for 7 years and photography on the side.
I have NEVER heard of someone who is still considering after THIS.

It's completely unacceptable.

You should NOT change your contract - under no circumstances.
You should NOT reduce price by more than you're ok with. Needless to say TWICE.

All this trouble - over what?? A booking on a popular date?

I don't get why this is an issue?

Be a pro and stand your ground. Don't let yourself or your business be pushed around like that.
And you're not even dealing with the bride or the groom.

F**** IT!!! Really

Jun 15, 2012 at 03:37 PM
AA Fotografi
• •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · Ready to walk on a potential client...

As others have said.

Imagine the demands, re-negotiating, do this, do that or you don't get paid.
Imagine the trouble on the wedding date it self.
Oh man!

And yes, it's easy to say walk away, because no good can come out of it.
And I believe that everyone has tried to tell customers to find someone else.

Jun 15, 2012 at 03:41 PM
Kittyk
• • • •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · Ready to walk on a potential client...

deepbluejh wrote:
This is exactly right.

I have found my South Asian couples tend to negotiate much more heavily than my American couples. My American couples couldn't negotiate their way out of a wet paper bag while some of my South Asian couples are more akin to the Macgyver of negotiating. It's just a part of how the culture does business.

It's very easy to say "run away" at the slightest hint of wanting to negotiate, but in the end this is probably not the wisest thing to do. It's better to give a little, then stand firm and see what happens. The mistake
...Show more

i know south asian couples and they do indeed like to negotiate, but that have to follow always some step back from their side. like, that they will step back from coverage, give me more time to process photos, more photos for website, anything. date will be rebooked either way.

Jun 15, 2012 at 03:46 PM
GCasey
• • •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · Ready to walk on a potential client...

In my day job, when people start to re-write our contract, we wish them well in their endeavor and thank them for their interest. In one case, we sensed a condescending attitude, checked with another client who knew them, and learned that we would be wise to turn this one down. It would have hurt our reputation to have worked with that client.

Nineteen responders (to date) have advised that you ditch this client. No one has recommended that you give in to their demands.

This is a PS. Far more than 19 have advised dropping this client.

One thought . . . . If they really want to negotiate, start adding services and costs to meet what they want. If they want you to add on all those services, then they can expect to pay extra.

It's better to walk away. If this bride was referred to you by someone you know, look for a way to let them know your position.

Jun 15, 2012 at 04:01 PM
paregorike
• • •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · Ready to walk on a potential client...

Walk away.

Jun 15, 2012 at 04:31 PM
Tom Dix
• • •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · Ready to walk on a potential client...

Changing your contract and clients control of images are too rather large red flags. Steve said it will.
The best and keep us posted. June of 13, you should be fine finding a booking.

Jun 15, 2012 at 04:45 PM
jprezant
• • • • •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · Ready to walk on a potential client...

We negotiate a bit and get the price down.

you gave her an inch, and she took a mile. I'd like to think I'd have walked right there.

Jun 15, 2012 at 05:07 PM
1       2      
       4       5       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       5       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.