Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       5       end

Archive 2012 · Ready to walk on a potential client...

deepbluejh
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Ready to walk on a potential client...

I deal with a fair number of challenging situations during the lead-up to a booking. Some people are a breeze to work with. Other are difficult, for various reasons. Well in 6 years of doing business I'm dealing with my most difficult clients to date.

I'm going to try to give a condensed timeline of events here to help explain the situation. I first made contact with the bride's sister about two months ago, so thats where I start.

- Bride's sister contacts me about a wedding on Saturday June 1st, 2013. I give her a custom package quote. She says that sounds good, but the price is too high. We negotiate a bit and get the price down.

- A couple weeks later the sister calls again and wants to continue to hash out details of the quote and get the price down a little more. I tell her we can, but we might need to reduce hours. This becomes a problem.

- We go back and forth through email almost TEN different times about various things. I give her a final quote and am FIRM on it - meaning not budging an inch. By now all of the haggling has gotten to me and I'm frustrated with these people.

- As an aside, in addition to the "deal", they also want complete control over pictures meaning I cannot use them ANYWHERE for marketing purposes. They also demand to rewrite portions of my contract because they don't like my wording. We are in full pedant mode now and my head is spinning.

- Eventually after about 6 weeks of back and forth, we FINALLY settle and are ready to move forward. At this time the "negotiations" shift from the sister of the bride to the father of the bride.

- Father refuses to mail the contract and check (as is standard for most of my couples). He also demands to see my business license (yet doesn't want to pay sales tax on the contract himself). Literally SIX emails back and forth about this nonsense and we still haven't agreed on how to settle up. FOB is trying to make things as complicated and convoluted as possible and I just can't wrap my head around it.

We live about an hour apart and I said I'd be happy to meet him halfway in a central location to sign the contract take care of the deposit, but that's not good enough. He wants to me to drive all the way to him to pick everything up.

At this point, I'm >< this close to saying 'forget it" and just walking away. Sound petty? Maybe it is, but I'm so far beyond frustrated with these people I can't even put it into words. I feel like I've been disrespected and pushed around the entire process (which rarely happens) and latest demand is just the final straw.

Part of me thinks I should just swallow my pride and go pick up the contract and the other part of me says I should stand my ground and send them a message - even if it means losing a potentially good booking.

If all my clients were like this, I would have quit years ago.

Jun 15, 2012 at 10:38 AM
DannyBostwick
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Ready to walk on a potential client...

Walk bud. Dealt with stuff like this before. If you can't get along with the paperwork, the wedding day doesn't get easier. June 1st will be a popular date, with about 9 months of real time to book, you'll probably get another inquiry for the date. I usually turn down 2 or 3 a year because I don't think it's a good fit.

Jun 15, 2012 at 10:46 AM
maxwell1295
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Ready to walk on a potential client...

Wow! I'm pretty patient with people, but you have a LOT more patience than I ever will. Any one of those things would be no big deal and something you could easily work around. In combination, that's a pretty lethal cocktail if you ask me...

Jun 15, 2012 at 10:57 AM
Graceology
• •
[X]
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Ready to walk on a potential client...

I would walk. That is a popular date that you will book without a doubt any ways. If it's a problem now, imagine what it will be like when they are trying to direct you the day of the wedding. Best of luck.

Jun 15, 2012 at 11:03 AM
photolove84
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Ready to walk on a potential client...

Haven't you read enough of these posts on fm to know exactly what advise you are going to get? You aren't new here. You shouldn't be negotiating price, especially when it isn't even with the bride, you shouldn't be changing your contract, you shouldn't be letting them not pay sales tax, they should be trusting you enough to BELIEVE that you have a business license when you say you do, and you shouldn't have to drive to them for a contract they can put in the mail. That's ridiculous.

Jun 15, 2012 at 11:07 AM
Mark_L
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Ready to walk on a potential client...

I am amazed you got even half that far before giving up as well as dealing with different family members.

Jun 15, 2012 at 11:10 AM
cbres00
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Ready to walk on a potential client...

Run...don't walk! You don't need the headache.

Jun 15, 2012 at 11:10 AM
TTLKurtis
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Ready to walk on a potential client...

Why are you only >< this close at this point, screw these people. I swear, some of you guys are so scared of standing your ground. Grow a pair and stand up for yourself, no client is worth jumping through hoops for. About three bullet points down I started skimming and then saw the dad BS and stopped reading.

Jun 15, 2012 at 11:15 AM
Mark_L
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Ready to walk on a potential client...

If this is before the wedding, imagine how bad it will be afterwards with albums, not liking pictures, 'missing' pictures, rerouch requests, attempts at getting money back

Jun 15, 2012 at 11:17 AM
time2clmb
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Ready to walk on a potential client...

These people are obviously hard to deal with. They are quite obviously wanting their way on everything. People like this can not be pleased. People that can not be pleased are going to focus on every negative thing they can. If they are this hard to deal with now wait until after when it comes down to the photos. If they are the types to focus on negative things and this process has drawn out this long with that much back and forth then they will have nothing good to say about you when it comes to word of mouth. Obviously they aren't satisfied since when you thought things were settled they brought the father in to the mix. Walk away, nothing good will come of this in the end.

Jun 15, 2012 at 11:20 AM
time2clmb
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Ready to walk on a potential client...

Why are you only >< this close at this point, screw these people. I swear, some of you guys are so scared of standing your ground. Grow a pair and stand up for yourself

This! Why is this even a question?? Seems pretty obvious as to what you should do.

Jun 15, 2012 at 11:22 AM
marti.g3
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Ready to walk on a potential client...

Wow...drama city and the wedding isn't even here yet.....

Jun 15, 2012 at 11:23 AM
marti.g3
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Ready to walk on a potential client...

TTLKurtis wrote:
Why are you only >< this close at this point, screw these people. I swear, some of you guys are so scared of standing your ground. Grow a pair and stand up for yourself, no client is worth jumping through hoops for. About three bullet points down I started skimming and then saw the dad BS and stopped reading.

Jun 15, 2012 at 11:24 AM
dmacmillan
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Ready to walk on a potential client...

What a time suck.

Please tell us what attributes, other then money, this job has, especially if you can't use the photos.

Jun 15, 2012 at 11:25 AM
ckhagen
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Ready to walk on a potential client...

For June 2013?? It would be my way or the highway. It's not like a date you can't or won't book otherwise... With someone sane. There are times to go out of your way to book something and times when you should really set the terms and if they don't like them... let them walk.

Jun 15, 2012 at 11:26 AM
Mark_L
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Ready to walk on a potential client...

http://sethgodin.typepad.com/seths_blog/2011/11/the-unreasonable-customer.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+typepad%2Fsethsmainblog+%28Seth%27s+Blog%29

There are a few reasons to tolerate the customer who makes unreasonable demands:

You promised you would
She helps you raise your game
Her word of mouth is very powerful
The cost of frequently figuring out which customers to fire is too high compared to the cost of putting up with everyone

It's probably worth firing a customer if:

He willfully corrupts your systems at a cost to other customers
Your employees are prevented from doing their best work in the long run
His word of mouth can't be changed or doesn't matter
He distracts you from delighting customers that are reasonable

In general, organizations are afraid to fire customers, no
...Show more

Jun 15, 2012 at 11:26 AM
JanetG
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Ready to walk on a potential client...

i can't believe you have entertained it this far. you are only wasting your own time - dump them now. no way in he((

Jun 15, 2012 at 11:27 AM
tobicus
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Ready to walk on a potential client...

How many red flags do you need before you walk away?

Jun 15, 2012 at 11:29 AM
Patrick Elliott
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Ready to walk on a potential client...

"I don't think so...Homey don't play dat." - Homey D. Clown

Jun 15, 2012 at 11:34 AM
EVO088
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Ready to walk on a potential client...

this has nothing to do with pride or swallowing anything! the only thing you need to swallow at this point a a pint of Jack!

these people are clearly delusional and having to deal with other members of the family .. WALK! I can't even imagine what will go on the day of and post wedding stuff! WOW

Jun 15, 2012 at 11:41 AM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.