Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Lite laptop to edit on the go...

G-Gore
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Lite laptop to edit on the go...

I'm just curious what would be a light laptop which could handle LR3/4 and PS 5.5 on the go. I know a new 13" MBP is one option but what about PC's?

Jun 14, 2012 at 10:22 PM
NathanHamler
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Lite laptop to edit on the go...

prob anything with a dual i7, quad i7 or dual i5 and a good amount of ram....photoshop isn't the problem....my 2.0ghz core 2 duo macbook handles cs5 no prob at all...

Jun 14, 2012 at 10:55 PM
brett maxwell
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Lite laptop to edit on the go...

"handle" is all relative, as is "light". I've used LR4 on my wife's Samsung 9 (macbook air equivalent), and it works just fine, but sure is annoying if you're used to an overclocked desktop beast. This looks pretty awesome if you ask me, especially with the 1080 IPS display: http://tbreak.com/tech/2012/06/asus-zenbook-prime-ux31a-review/

Jun 14, 2012 at 11:02 PM
tobicus
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Lite laptop to edit on the go...

Just look for the lightest laptop you can install or upgrade to 8+ gb of memory. Pretty much anything with a dual core or better processor will fly with that much memory.

Jun 14, 2012 at 11:15 PM
Inku Yo
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Lite laptop to edit on the go...

I got an HP Envy 15, i7, 16GB RAM, 240GB SSD. A friend of mine called it Macbook Pro's evil twin. Hahaha!

http://ssl-product-images.www8-hp.com/digmedialib/prodimg/lowres/c03087481.png

Jun 14, 2012 at 11:36 PM
SloPhoto
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Lite laptop to edit on the go...

I currently use a 10" windows tablet. Slow as can be, but it has a nice ips screen and fits in the small slot on my camera bag.

I will be getting an asus UX21A when available. 11" macbook air copy.. but with a 1080p IPS screen.

Jun 15, 2012 at 12:34 AM
louloulou
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Lite laptop to edit on the go...

what about an Ultrab00k? link

Jun 15, 2012 at 02:48 AM
deepbluejh
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Lite laptop to edit on the go...

Most any Ultrabook would be good for this.

Jun 15, 2012 at 07:30 AM
JanetG
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Lite laptop to edit on the go...

inku - i had 2 envy's that had problems displaying reds, not all reds, but in general - many of them appeared orange toned. sent it back to hp, got another one, same thing. it IS the mcb's evil twin though, couldn't be more alike.

Jun 15, 2012 at 08:02 AM
whtrbt7
• •
[X]
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Lite laptop to edit on the go...

MBA 11 inch with 8GB of RAM and 512GB of space. It fits almost anywhere and you can carry it tethered to shoot directly from camera to laptop. Optimum software mix is Aperture with Photoshop CS6 for fast loading. I'm somewhat tempted to go this route since it's so effective. I still carry an iPad around and can use EyeFi for shoots but it's slightly slower. Also iPad is limited to JPG edits on RAWs so I'm hoping Apple releases Aperture for iOS sometime in the next 4 years. I may switch to the MBA since it's just more efficient for shooting but the iPad is good for nearly everything else.

Jun 16, 2012 at 12:24 PM
widget_13
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Lite laptop to edit on the go...

Lenovo X220 (or the newly announced X230).

IPS screen, i7 (not some dumbed down low voltage version), SSD
Or you can just buy it with a hard drive and add a mSATA SSD after.
Fast, light (3.5lbs), 13" screen. I'm in love with mine.

Oh, and unlike another certain brand, you can tear it apart and repair just about anything with just a screwdriver. I spilled coffee on mine and took apart the entire laptop (including screen) to clean it up. Still works perfectly.

Jun 24, 2012 at 11:44 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.