Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Wireless Trigger for Nikon SB-700 (bought)

saaketham
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Wireless Trigger for Nikon SB-700 (bought)

I have two Nikon SB-700 flash units which I have been triggering using the on-board flash on the D7000.
But, this is iffy as it requires line-of-sight.
Which brand/model receivers/transmitters/transceivers would you recommend I buy, to wirelessly trigger one or more SB-700 units?

Thanks a lot.

Edited on Jun 19, 2012 at 02:24 PM · View previous versions

Jun 12, 2012 at 04:39 PM
pacman642
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Wireless Trigger for Nikon SB-700 (bought)

I have a Nikon SU-800 to trigger (2) SB-900s and a SB-900. I recently added the pocketwizard Flex TT5/ Mini TT1/ AC3 which is pretty much my go to setup now. The SU-800 indoors is fine as long as they're in sight. Lately I've been doing some outdoor portraits and like the pocketwizard system as the sun doesn't interfere with it. Cost goes to the SU-800.

Jun 13, 2012 at 06:53 AM
buckeyeguy1
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Wireless Trigger for Nikon SB-700 (bought)

I have been using the PCB Cybersync transmitter and reciever for my SB-900. I have had them since March and have not had any issues yet. So far I have used them outdoors and in my small makeshift studio. They work great, but I have not tried to push their limits (distance/obstruction). I can use them up to 1/320 shutter speed on my D700.

Jun 13, 2012 at 07:29 AM
Mr Kris
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Wireless Trigger for Nikon SB-700 (bought)

Another vote for the PW Flex system if you don't mind the cost. I own the Flex system, currently using with SB910s, but I had a trio of SB700s in the past and they worked flawlessly with those as well.

If you do go that route, you get: wireless HSS, wireless TTL, and hypersync. You do need to take the time to learn it though. Not just the manuals, but learning how it "behaves" when you try any sort of automatic mode. And make sure you check that everything is on the highest firmware if you get it.

Jun 13, 2012 at 08:48 AM
saaketham
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Wireless Trigger for Nikon SB-700 (bought)

So I should check out
- Nikon SU-800
- PocketWizard Flex
- PCB Cybersync transmitter and receiver

Thanks a lot. I'll compare the reviews and prices.

Jun 13, 2012 at 09:51 AM
buckeyeguy1
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Wireless Trigger for Nikon SB-700 (bought)

If I had a larger budget than what I did, I would have gone with the PW system for the reasons Mr Kris has stated. Mostly for the hypersync, but the TTL would be nice as well.

Jun 13, 2012 at 11:26 AM
saaketham
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Wireless Trigger for Nikon SB-700 (bought)

Mr Kris wrote:
Another vote for the PW Flex system if you don't mind the cost. I own the Flex system, currently using with SB910s, but I had a trio of SB700s in the past and they worked flawlessly with those as well.

No SB-700 support?
According to this Amazon page,

The MiniTT1/FlexTT5 are compatible with following Nikon cameras:
Nikon D2X, D3, D3S, D3X, D700, D80, D90, D200, D300, D300S, D40, D40X, D50, D3000, D5000, D7000

The MiniTT1/FlexTT5 are compatible with following Nikon camera flash units:
As Master flash: SB900, SB800, and SU800.
As Remote flash: SB900, SB800, SB600, SB400

No mention of the SB700

Budget
I guess my budget is about $500-600. I will need receivers for 2 SB-700 flashes and 1 transmitter.

Strobes
I've only shot with external flashes and no Alien Bees or such, so will these transmitters/receivers be able to fire such light units as well if I ever decide to get them?

Jun 13, 2012 at 02:57 PM
HappyCamp
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Wireless Trigger for Nikon SB-700 (bought)

saaketham wrote:
No SB-700 support?
According to this Amazon page,

The PocketWizard web page says it is supported:
http://wiki.pocketwizard.com/index.php?title=Nikon_Compatibility

Jun 13, 2012 at 03:10 PM
saaketham
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Wireless Trigger for Nikon SB-700 (bought)

HappyCamp wrote:
The PocketWizard web page says it is supported:

Awesome. Thanks

Jun 13, 2012 at 03:30 PM
HappyCamp
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Wireless Trigger for Nikon SB-700 (bought)

saaketham wrote:
Awesome. Thanks

Of course make sure you update the firmware if you buy one. As the one out of the box could easily not support it since the unit could have been made a long time ago.

Jun 13, 2012 at 03:31 PM
saaketham
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Wireless Trigger for Nikon SB-700 (bought)

HappyCamp wrote:
Of course make sure you update the firmware if you buy one. As the one out of the box could easily not support it since the unit could have been made a long time ago.

Oh ok ... I'll do that. Looks like the PW Flex is the way to go. I shoot outdoor portraits a lot, and often get frustrated by the D7000's wireless flash trigger feature, which works well in short distances and if the line-of-sight is maintained, but it leaves me constrained. So, I'm looking to expand, but still use flash units as I don't do enough commercial work to justify Alien Bees or Einsteins yet.

Jun 13, 2012 at 03:35 PM
saaketham
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Wireless Trigger for Nikon SB-700 (bought)

That second video .. thats crazy . Shooting portraits with an 800mm
http://www.pocketwizard.com/products/transmitter_receiver/flextt5-nikon/

Jun 14, 2012 at 07:05 AM
saaketham
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Wireless Trigger for Nikon SB-700 (bought)

I almost pulled the trigger on three PW Flex but then other expenses popped up. So, I bought a PixelKing set of 1 trigger and 2 receivers. I tested them for an hour during lunch, and they fired without fail every time, around corners, behind things, out of sight, etc. If these things will last, then I think they're all I really need. Planning to take them outside this evening with a friend, to test them further and learn the system well. PCB looked reasonably priced except my SB-700s don't have a PC Sync port. PW seem ideal, but a bit too expensive.

Jun 19, 2012 at 02:16 PM
saaketham
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Wireless Trigger for Nikon SB-700 (bought)

Had two photoshoots with the Pixel Kings. These are from the very first one. My umbrellas took a beating in the wind and I shot without diffusers for the most part. https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1125879

Jun 24, 2012 at 03:37 PM
Gregg Heckler
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Wireless Trigger for Nikon SB-700 (bought)

Besides the triggers you might also consider the Joe McNally Lastolite flash bracket. It allows you to swivel each flash independently so you can line up the infrared windows in the same direction. It works great with an SU-800.

Jun 24, 2012 at 08:20 PM
saaketham
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Wireless Trigger for Nikon SB-700 (bought)

Newbie question ... Why do the infrared windows need to be lined up?

Jun 25, 2012 at 12:04 AM
Ho1972
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Wireless Trigger for Nikon SB-700 (bought)

If all the windows are facing the master flash (commander), you're odds of all the flashes firing are improved. It's that CLS line of sight thing again, which is irrelevant if you're using your Pixel Kings.

Jun 25, 2012 at 03:28 AM
saaketham
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Wireless Trigger for Nikon SB-700 (bought)

Ok. Because these use radio signals, they work around corners and behind things, at long distances ... without need for the IR sensors on the flash being turned towards the commander. The commander in this case, is the Pixel King transmitter mounted on the hot shoe.

Jun 25, 2012 at 05:47 AM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.