Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · Any experience with Sirui tripods?

plubbry
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Any experience with Sirui tripods?

Does anyone have any experience with Sirui Tripods? I am looking at their carbon fiber T-1204X traveller and would appreciate any feedback on Sirui tripods in general.

Jun 12, 2012 at 11:19 AM
Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Any experience with Sirui tripods?

My friend rented one when we were in Yellowstone a month ago. r4203L I think. It was very well built. My reaction was - a smidge more weight but had looked and performed as well as my gitzo and I have 3 gitzo's so thats a very high complement. The more weight was because it was a stronger tripod with thicker legs but carbon.

I would buy a sirui based on this experience. It was about $300 less than gitzo with similar quality. The hardware, locks and legs were of very high quality.

I did not look at the smaller ones, but if they are similar in quality to the large ones, they will be good.

I have kicked the tires with Benro, Induro... and until now I would not buy any other than gitzo.

Scott

Jun 13, 2012 at 04:26 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Any experience with Sirui tripods?

as more and more tripod makers show up from China it gets harder and harder to distinguish one from another except by their names, eclectic that they can be. the equipment themselves are looking pretty much the same generally with some color differences or maybe some overmolding or grips.

Jun 13, 2012 at 07:54 AM
plubbry
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Any experience with Sirui tripods?

Thanks for the feedback. The tripod I am looking at would be a lightweight/compact alternate to my Gitzo 3 series and be used primarily for hiking/backpacking.

I am not necessarily expecting the fit or finish to rival a Gitzo or RRS but am trying to get a general feel for the overall quality. Even though it is fairly inexpensive I certainly don't want it to start falling apart on me after a few years. Or to have fit/finish that is so poor that it is a bother to use.

Jun 13, 2012 at 09:49 AM
vchowdhary
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Any experience with Sirui tripods?

Have you looked into the Feisol CT 3442?
At under 2.4 lbs without ballhead it is still nearly tall enough for me at 6'4" without any center column. Folds down to a rather small size for travelling. Loving everything about it so far

I've got the K20x and K30x ballheads (Sirui) which are great with some minor issues. The levels dont all work, one had no fluid in it.

Jun 13, 2012 at 12:39 PM
flash
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Any experience with Sirui tripods?

I've had one for about 9 months. I have one of the larger ones. I'm very happy with it.

Gordon

Jun 14, 2012 at 01:53 AM
flash
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Any experience with Sirui tripods?

I've had one for about 9 months. I have one of the larger ones. I'm very happy with it.

Gordon

Jun 14, 2012 at 01:53 AM
Still Bill
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Any experience with Sirui tripods?

Happily using an N2204 for two years with no trouble. I also own a Gitzo and bought this one as a traveler. Not quite Gitzo's leg lock smoothness in my experience, but it's good enough, small enough, and light enough. I think you'll be satisfied with them.

Jun 14, 2012 at 04:56 AM
plubbry
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Any experience with Sirui tripods?

I appreciate the comments.

Jun 14, 2012 at 09:48 AM
Douglas_Bush
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Any experience with Sirui tripods?

Hey,
I bought the aluminum version of that same tripod just for backpacking because it folds so small. I have been very happy with it and find it very comparable with my larger Gitzo CF legs. I think one big piece of the equation with tripods is just making sure you are getting the appropriate size and weight capacity for your needs. I haven't had my tripod long enough to give a thorough assessment but so far so good! The only negative is that the main screw that the leg hinges on came loose pretty quickly. I think all I need is some sort of pressure washer or something to keep it tight...

Jun 14, 2012 at 06:09 PM
gilead
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Any experience with Sirui tripods?

I just ordered the T-1204X with a G-10 Ballhead a few days ago. May not be as good as the best but in my price range.

Jun 28, 2012 at 09:53 PM
michaelnel
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Any experience with Sirui tripods?

Still Bill wrote:
Happily using an N2204 for two years with no trouble. I also own a Gitzo and bought this one as a traveler. Not quite Gitzo's leg lock smoothness in my experience, but it's good enough, small enough, and light enough. I think you'll be satisfied with them.

I too have an N2204 and am more pleased with it than the three Gitzos and two Benros I have owned. This one beats 'em all for features and build quality.

Jul 17, 2012 at 08:39 AM
nigelleetc

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Any experience with Sirui tripods?

Not quite a tripod but i have the k20 ballhead or something like that and am very happy with it. It may be just me but i do like how sirui doesnt attempt to hide behind some pseudo european image like vanguard, benro and the like.

Jul 18, 2012 at 11:21 PM
DearDuck
[X]
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Any experience with Sirui tripods?

I have a Sirui T2204-X traveller tripod and sunwayfoto FB-36 ballhead, worked vert wll, I appraciate and recommend too.

Jul 19, 2012 at 03:23 AM
DearDuck
[X]
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Any experience with Sirui tripods?

Traveller tripod and ballhead compatible with very well, I attach a image

http://www.sunwayfoto.com/uploadfile/CKEditor/fb-36-a(1).jpg

Jul 19, 2012 at 03:28 AM
polylepis
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Any experience with Sirui tripods?

The only negative is that the main screw that the leg hinges on came loose pretty quickly. I think all I need is some sort of pressure washer or something to keep it tight...

Ditto on that problem, don't forget to carry around the supplied star drive wrench. Otherwise, I'm very happy with my Traveller Sirui. I moved over after the collets on my Gitzo 1541T all wore out and the replacement service from New Jersey Manfrotto turned into a bad joke. After six months, they still couldn't get a complete set shipped so I'm waiting on UK parts.

Edited on Jul 22, 2012 at 05:59 PM · View previous versions

Jul 22, 2012 at 05:53 PM
polylepis
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Any experience with Sirui tripods?

polylepis wrote:
The only negative is that the main screw that the leg hinges on came loose pretty quickly. I think all I need is some sort of pressure washer or something to keep it tight...

Ditto on that problem, don't forget to carry around the supplied star drive wrench. Otherwise, I'm very happy with my Traveller Sirui. I moved over after the collets on my Gitzo 1541T all wore out and the replacement service from New Jersey Manfrotto turned into a bad joke. After six months, they still couldn't get a complete set shipped so I'm waiting on UK parts.

Jul 22, 2012 at 05:55 PM
polylepis
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Any experience with Sirui tripods?

Jul 22, 2012 at 05:57 PM
polylepis
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Any experience with Sirui tripods?

Sorry! No experience posting!

Jul 22, 2012 at 06:00 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Any experience with Sirui tripods?

The only Sirui tripod that I have used broke. It was not the same model as yours. But one leg just fell off it after a couple of minutes use

Jul 23, 2012 at 12:22 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.