Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       4      
       end

Archive 2012 · New FoCal believer

Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #1 · p.5 #1 · New FoCal believer

Does it support all bodies if I buy it? Or do I just get it for one camera? And can I use it with long tele lenses that have a long MFD ?

Sep 08, 2012 at 01:58 PM
328iGuy
• • •
p.5 #2 · p.5 #2 · New FoCal believer

Lars Johnsson wrote:
Does it support all bodies if I buy it? Or do I just get it for one camera? And can I use it with long tele lenses that have a long MFD ?

I think you can license up to 5 serial numbers with the pro version. Unsure about the MFD but I'm sure their site will explain it.

Sep 08, 2012 at 02:20 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.5 #3 · p.5 #3 · New FoCal believer

What about the other versions?

Sep 08, 2012 at 02:40 PM
Rodney O
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #4 · p.5 #4 · New FoCal believer

This seems like a curious little company. It's an interesting program. It seems to work pretty well. BUT their privacy policy is only found under their "About Us" page and not shown at the bottom of every page. And like all too many "privacy" policies, it basically requires that you accept no real privacy. Then I had to also "agree to accept" their cookies. A pretty silly thing to do, except that by having to interact with the page like that they were able to collect more info from your browser. We "put up with" sites & their cookies. That's toleration not acceptance.

They demand that you let them use cookies and imply that they use "long life" cookies. They demand your camera Serial numbers which seems invasive. They demand the right to send you emails. They say nothing about how the "safe guard" information about you. And on that the odds are they don't even know how to secure their stuff; few companies actually do. But they have the gall to imply that you are freely giving them information. It's not exactly freely given, if they require it. Sure you could refuse to use the software product. But setting terms does not justify the use of the term "freely given".

Guess I am ranting about this blasted issue of companies setting unreasonable terms with no recourse or negotiation. And then holding onto the right to change the terms when ever they feel like it. Wish we could change this whole approach.

Now someone will say "Well don't use their product". And that is certainly a viable approach. It's one which I may take.

However when they were developing the product did the developers really do this so they could collect Canon user serial numbers and connect them with people's addresses etc? I think not the developers more likely wanted to make a good product that they could sell and make money from. So where in the product process does this get all messed up and the emphasis get shifted.

So Focal-Reikan Make your product, Advertise & Demonstrate it, Sell it, Achieve a profit & Put food on your table. But quit getting side tracked by the peripheral issue of gathering lots of detail about customers. You don't need my S/N's to secure your program. There are plenty of other ways. But you are using them to search for duplicate uses of the same S/N's aren't you? And is it interesting to you that here are 12 1Dmk4's within 2 miles? How many 1D-X's are there nearby. Are you heading over to borrow one or two or three of them?

Unfortunately this post won't likely change either Reikan or the world today. Maybe tomorrow?

Sep 08, 2012 at 04:02 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

328iGuy
• • •
p.5 #5 · p.5 #5 · New FoCal believer

^^ too much time on your hands?

Sep 08, 2012 at 04:18 PM
328iGuy
• • •
p.5 #6 · p.5 #6 · New FoCal believer

Lars Johnsson wrote:
What about the other versions?

Check out the site, it's all explained

Sep 08, 2012 at 04:19 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.5 #7 · p.5 #7 · New FoCal believer

328iGuy wrote:
Check out the site, it's all explained

Ok, but it's not very good explained. And very difficult even to find the price of their products. And if you find it, it does not say if you can use one body or twenty bodies. Nothing about what credit card they accept. Nothing about what kind of payment they accept or use. Every time you find something there is always if, when, maybe, or this doesn't work with that body but it work with another body

Sep 08, 2012 at 05:01 PM
TeamSpeed
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #8 · p.5 #8 · New FoCal believer

stanj wrote:
Just wanted to say that I was the biggest skeptic of FoCal, and what I still think is a pretty stupid licensing scheme. But my 70-200 + 1.4x were impossible to MA by hand so I broke down and bought the Pro version. Bad news is that it doesn't work fully auto mode with the 5D3, and it has a myriad of bugs with the 5D3, but damn did it improve the lenses. The 50L can't be helped, of course, but I MAd it at f2 which is where I shoot it, so that made it better.

Just sayin'. They
...Show more

Anything the software can do, you can do yourself. I often MA right on the spot when doing events. I am sure this is a great tool for those that don't have the patience or understand the MA strategy, but otherwise, you should be able to do it yourself. It really isn't that hard as long as you have a high contrast object that lies on a surface that gives you a great idea of where your focal plane lies as you change values.

Sep 08, 2012 at 05:16 PM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password