Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       3              5       6       end

Archive 2012 · How many lenses do you USE?

form
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · How many lenses do you USE?

I remember back when I had just 35, 85, Sigma 10-20, Canon 70-200 f/2.8 IS, and the never-used 135L. Life was simpler. Each lens to a specific purpose...

Now I have 16-35, 24, 35, 50, 85, 135, 70-200 and a fisheye lens on top...now I have so many to choose from, and I also seem to have a harder time working up effective compositions. I have to wonder if having too many choices is related to/causative of losing a "feel" for any given focal length. However, I use them all...

I use 24 for getting ready room, environments, ceremony, reception dancing/environment, cake cutting, bouquet/garter toss. 35 for getting ready, ceremony, formals, details, reception dancing, candids. 50 for cake cutting, reception, tight spaces where 85 is too long. 85 for formals, getting ready, ceremony, details, reception dancing, candids. 135 when not needing 70-200 for ceremony, rarely for daylit reception. 16-35 for environments, rarely very wide or tall scenes. 70-200 for ceremony. 15 fisheye for rare shots where the effect could enhance the image, for partial panos, and for one ceremony shot and/or one reception environment/detail shot.

But, when I used to just have...35, 85, 10-20, 70-200...I used 35 and 85 for everything except what I absolutely needed 10-20 (environments, tosses) or 70-200 for (ceremony). 35 and 85 for EVERYTHING. I think that I might have gotten more attuned to their "effects" when they were my 95% lenses. Now they are down to about 40-60% with a big dose of 24 and a moderate dose of 50.

I'm just looking for possible reasons why I seem to have so much more trouble making compositions now than I did before...

As you all shoot, how many lenses do you USE during the wedding day, and how much do you use each one? Do you ever find that you lose touch with any given focal length if you don't use it for a while?

Jun 08, 2012 at 07:06 PM
jlawrence
• • •
p.1 #2 · How many lenses do you USE?

I use a 28, 35, 50, and 85. The 28 is barely ever used really, most of the use is between the 35 and the 85.

the 35mm is used for getting ready photos, the 50mm 1.8G if it's too dark even with the drapes opened. Nikon's 35mm F2 gets close enough for me to get some pretty decent ring shots as well.

the 85mm is for darn near everything else, portraits, ceremony, pj stuff.

contemplating getting a 2nd body with a 35mm 1.4 to run a full time 85/35 combo.

Jun 08, 2012 at 07:10 PM
tobicus
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · How many lenses do you USE?

The older I get, the more I crave simplicity.

For our first wedding (here), when I shot with a crop, I used a 35mm throughout except for a few minutes when I brought out a slow zoom, which has since been sold. Brenda used her full frame and went back and forth between a 35 and a 50. My full frame arrived the day after the wedding.

For our second wedding, I used a 35 on full frame from start to finish. Had a 50 in my bag but never felt a need for it. Brenda alternated between a 50 and an 85. We shot for 10 hours that way.

For our next wedding (and every wedding this summer), it'll be the same setup. She'll get the 50/85, I'll get the 35/50, and unless I'm in the mood to experiment, will probably use the 35 exclusively.

So to answer your question, I'd basically urge you to figure out what's most comfortable and stick with that. I'm happiest with just a couple of lenses, as I focus much more that way. If we had an unlimited budget, the only other lenses I think we'd add to our set are a 24 and a 135.

Jun 08, 2012 at 07:16 PM
TAGfan
• • •
p.1 #4 · How many lenses do you USE?

I pretty much use the 35 and 85 most of the day. I'll also use the 70-200 at the ceremony and the 24 from time to time - maybe for some dancing shots. Macro for detail shots and that's about it.

Jun 08, 2012 at 07:26 PM
tonyhart
• • • •
p.1 #5 · How many lenses do you USE?

These days I use four lenses over the course of a wedding day.

17-40L
35L
50 f/1.4
135L

very occasionally I'll bung a 1.4TC on the 135L or break out the 300L. Last year I barely used the 50 but I've been trying to bring it back into my work more this year. It's great for certain tasks. I prefer it for close in portraits to the 35L though the 35L is way better for context. I use them both plenty, and I value their differences but I also miss the simplicity of last season where I shot with three lenses more often.

Jun 08, 2012 at 07:28 PM
canerino
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · How many lenses do you USE?

I use the 24L and 35L about 80% of the day. I'd say the 85L gets about 17%. And the 135L gets about 3%.

Jun 08, 2012 at 07:39 PM
Scott Mosher
• • • •
p.1 #7 · How many lenses do you USE?

35 F2 & 85 f1.4 for most of the day, and the 70-200 f2.8 and 12-24 f4 lens also.

Jun 08, 2012 at 07:44 PM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.1 #8 · How many lenses do you USE?

Run ExposurePlot through a few of your favourite weddings. You'll get a good idea of what your main focal lengths are. Then cross reference the type of environment and you should get a better idea of how too utilise your lenses most effectively. In short, I agree, too much choice can be wasted time and thought.

My main focal lengths are 35mm and 85mm. 16 and 24 peak, but much less so. I usually use 3-4 lenses at most during a day. I usually just stick to 24-70 or 35 on one camera and always 85 on the other.

Perhaps at your next wedding limit yourself to two lenses (with all your other kit with you of course). I'm sure you'll find it refreshing, beneficial.

Jun 08, 2012 at 08:07 PM
mineymole
• • • •
p.1 #9 · How many lenses do you USE?

35 about 50%
85 about 20%
135 about 15%
24 about 15%

Jun 08, 2012 at 08:33 PM
flash
• • • •
p.1 #10 · How many lenses do you USE?

I had pretty much the same kit as Form, except you'd need to add a 24-105 and a macro. Throw in a few flashes, batteries, modifiers, backups etc, and I was on my way to a spinal unit. It was also a huge creativity killer.

Today, I have a FF rangefinder with a 12, 21, 35, 50 and 90 plus a crop DSLR with a 70-200. Total weight of my kit is 6kg including accessories. Life is good. My back is happier.

In October I have a wedding where I need to travel by seaplane, with strict weight requirements. I'm actually going to leave the DSLR at home and take the rangefinder and a NEX7, with adapted Leica lenses. Under 4kg of gear (about 9lbs) and I'll still have 12-135mm (FF) covered.

Less can be more when it comes to creativity and ease of use.

Gordon

Jun 08, 2012 at 09:03 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Mike Mahoney
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · How many lenses do you USE?

Less & less as time goes by .. I expect 95% of my wedding coverage will be with two lenses this year, the 35 and 85. Less is more in so many ways

Jun 08, 2012 at 09:33 PM
form
• • • •
p.1 #12 · How many lenses do you USE?

Once I got all of these lenses, I found uses for every focal length (except 135). Sometimes the uses replaced uses I had for other focal lengths I was familiar with.

When I look at gabe's photos, lots of variety in spite of using very similar/same focal length throughout a session...when I shoot, I often feel an absolute need to change lenses for different shots - wider for a whole scene, longer for up close and personal without the distortion and to blur the background more. Back in April, I had started to use the 35 more like I remembered doing so during the reception dances - something about being very up-close and personal with the subjects. However, I failed to duplicate that with the most recent weddings.

I go from 24, 35, 85 all the time...I swap between 24 and 35 often, but I think that 24 is not always a good focal length for many things I am using it for now.

Jun 08, 2012 at 10:02 PM
Robin Usagani
• • • •
p.1 #13 · How many lenses do you USE?

I use 4.

Jun 08, 2012 at 10:03 PM
silentwings
• • •
p.1 #14 · How many lenses do you USE?

I was greatly inspired by Jerry Ghionis, and mainly used Canon 70-200 f/2.8 IS II. So overall,

70-200 90%
24-70 5%
35L 3%
85 1%
TSE 45 1%

Jun 08, 2012 at 10:07 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · How many lenses do you USE?

Mike Mahoney wrote:
I expect 95% of my wedding coverage will be with two lenses this year, the 35 and 85.

Sounds like a dream if you can make it work for you. I'm in the situation now where I have so many lenses I don't know what to do with 'em all! Too many to carry around on my person. Worried about theft if I leave them laying around.

Jun 08, 2012 at 11:08 PM
William Wilson
• • •
p.1 #16 · How many lenses do you USE?

I carry a 35 and a 135 one a body each, 80% is the 35 my bag has 50, 85 105 but rarely see the light of day.

Jun 08, 2012 at 11:16 PM
RichardLavigne
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · How many lenses do you USE?

I've never really understood the less is more argument....

I mean... if you use a lens for just one shot, it doesn't mean you don't need it.

I'd guess that compared to most, we bring a lot of stuff, do we use it all, every wedding? No... but occasionally we do use something that's out of the ordinary and I know I'd kick myself if I didn't have it.

Jun 09, 2012 at 12:59 AM
WNStudio
• • •
p.1 #18 · How many lenses do you USE?

20 2,8
35L
50 macro
100 2.0

35 and 100 most of the time.

Jun 09, 2012 at 01:00 AM
Mike Mahoney
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · How many lenses do you USE?

RichardLavigne wrote:
I've never really understood the less is more argument....

I mean... if you use a lens for just one shot, it doesn't mean you don't need it.

I'd guess that compared to most, we bring a lot of stuff, do we use it all, every wedding? No... but occasionally we do use something that's out of the ordinary and I know I'd kick myself if I didn't have it.

It's more of a style thing than an argument

After a while you frame things the way you want, and the way referred clients expect .. and the shots you think you may be "missing" are not missed at all.

But I know where you're at .. been there myself. There is no right or wrong.

Jun 09, 2012 at 01:41 AM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · How many lenses do you USE?

William Wilson wrote:
I carry a 35 and a 135 one a body each

Don't rub it in.

Jun 09, 2012 at 02:22 AM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell