Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Mailing prints: what to use?

friscoron
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Mailing prints: what to use?

Now that my business is picking up, I'm thinking I need to come up with my own business envelopes to mail prints in. I'm thinking I want to get a 9x12 envelope to ship 8x5x11 and 8x10 prints, and then I need to get some kind of cardboard insert to keep the envelope from folding, protecting the prints.

Before I did anything, just thought I'd check here to see what you guys do.

I was also thinking I should get a smaller envelope as I occasionally send 5x7 and 4x6 prints as well. Thoughts on that?

Thanks,
Ron

Jun 08, 2012 at 03:37 PM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Mailing prints: what to use?

Hey Ron, I use stuff from ClearBags.com
Self sealing 8 X 10 & 5 X 7 protective bags/precut backer boards. I'll put a print on either side
and it makes for a nice presentation...passing around w/o the worry of dreaded fingerprints.
I use bubble wrap mailers I buy in bulk, with a slightly oversized (from prints) piece of cardboard
for good measure. They usually ship USPS 1st Class if under 1/2 a dozen 8 X 10's. HTH

Edited on Jun 08, 2012 at 05:01 PM · View previous versions

Jun 08, 2012 at 03:59 PM
friscoron
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Mailing prints: what to use?

Thanks, Will.

I do have clear bags that I put them in, but then when I drop them in the mail, as opposed to using a USPS hard envelope, or UPS hard envelope, I thought I'd come up with one that I could order and have my logo on it. If I had to go with a regular (soft) 9x12 envelope, then I wondered what people used for an insert to keep the pic from folding.

Ron

Jun 08, 2012 at 04:59 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

friscoron
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Mailing prints: what to use?

Am I the only person mailing out 8x10's?

Jun 21, 2012 at 08:23 PM
John Patrick
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Mailing prints: what to use?

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1112352/0#10620506

This came up 6 weeks ago.

John

Jun 23, 2012 at 05:16 AM
Hammy
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Mailing prints: what to use?

Ron,

I ship a few prints out...enough that I order mailers by the pallet.

I used to use clearbags for their bags (insert liners to go in our mailers)
And I used to use Yazoomills for their tubes and another company for their mailers

But now I get everything from Uline. They have tubes, mailers, sleeves and custom printing as well. Plus, if I needed something anywhere in the US, I can order it locally for next day delivery (because they have multiple warehouses)

I am going to look into John's suggestion of packageprice as for quality and lead time, but with the Uline mailers, I've never had to use any additional backers for prints.
However, I do remember one customer calling to say her postman bent her print to put it in her apt box (even though we have "DO NOT BEND" stamped on the mailer).
She suggested we get some backing material, but seeing as that is one case out of ... say... 100,000 in the past 10 years, I think I'm better off saving the 55 cents per print and just re-mailing 1 every 100,000!

Logo printing would be a nice touch, but I wonder if nearly double the price for mailers is worth it. It's not like we're in the business of selling mailers nor marketing to mail carriers, but I'm torn between the value of having your name on the mailer that they'll throw away after they open it, and whether the name branding is worth it for the 10 seconds they look at it between mailbox and kitchen table (before it's discarded) Currently, we'll but our logo on the corner of prints, so our name branding lasts as long as the print, not the packaging.

Jun 23, 2012 at 02:21 PM

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password