FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2012 · Trying something diferent for me - Peonies

gregfountain
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Trying something diferent for me - Peonies

birdied wrote:
Both are very good shots Greg. I prefer the simplicity of the second one. I agree with Tim, that the first would work better if the screen was not a print. However, still enjoyed both shots

Birdie

Thanks Birdie!

Jun 07, 2012 at 10:05 PM
Karl Witt
• • • • • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Trying something diferent for me - Peonies

#2 is a knockout IMO. The light and the direction of it is flattering for what it did on the flowers as well as the vase and the colors it allowed. I absolutely love the boldness and simplicity. Vase color has a very good impact in this shot. If I were to tweak it would only be a tad bit more top and left but that is marginal at best.

#1 I really don't care for it and I say that with great respect for your efforts buddy. Too much light, too bright on the right and too much reflection off the BG of it. I could really light this shot with well reduced light on the BG and with the BG being a bit more OOF, also the verticals are too dominant. Just my opinion though

Karl

Jun 07, 2012 at 10:11 PM
gregfountain
• • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Trying something diferent for me - Peonies

Karl Witt wrote:
#2 is a knockout IMO. The light and the direction of it is flattering for what it did on the flowers as well as the vase and the colors it allowed. I absolutely love the boldness and simplicity. Vase color has a very good impact in this shot. If I were to tweak it would only be a tad bit more top and left but that is marginal at best.

#1 I really don't care for it and I say that with great respect for your efforts buddy. Too much light, too bright on the right and too much reflection
...Show more

Thanks Karl! Yeah, I think the screen works better as a prop to drape a backdrop cloth! What the heck, you never know until you try and get some feedback! And as always, I appreciate yours!

Greg

Jun 09, 2012 at 04:24 PM
gregfountain
• • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Trying something diferent for me - Peonies

Admittedly, Greg, the business of "tilt" can be a difficult matter.
There is the actuality of it AND the perception of it. Same thing goes for "level."

In your first pic, the divider leans to the right- further confusing the issue.
So, below I've corrected the lean of the flowers and vase in both pics, and left intact the evidence of what I did. Forget for now everything else. Do you see why I spoke of the "lean" in both images?
Charlie

I added a cropped version of my rework of #1 to further illustrate what I mean.

I can totally see what you mean. The screen was bent at the hinge and it doesn't sit perfectly level, so I tried to use the bottom of the vase as my guide. When I adjust for level in LR, it gives me a grid in which to gauge the tilt. Perhaps my head was off a little! I'll play with it and post the result...Thanks!

Greg

Jun 09, 2012 at 04:26 PM
Charlie Shugart
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Trying something diferent for me - Peonies

AHAH! I see the problem, Greg.
You're doing what I did until recently, and what many others do: you're determining what is level by using a part of the picture that is horizontal. Stop it! .
The only way something that is horizontal is actually LEVEL is when: 1- it IS level and 2- you're at an exact 90 degree angle to it. Since both factors seldom occur at the same time, a much better way to determine if your pic is level is by using a straight VERTICAL line. Of course: 1- it must actually BE vertical and 2- it must be
...Show more

Jun 09, 2012 at 05:07 PM
       end

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.