FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Baby bears- #1 of 2 batches

Charlie Shugart
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Baby bears- #1 of 2 batches

At the end of my summer work in Alaska some years ago, I was driving down the Stewart-Cassiar Highway in British Columbia. Several hundred miles of dirt/gravel road (at that time) that wound its way through the magnificent coastal ranges of mountains and forests.
Coming upon these two baby North American Black Bears, I stayed in my car about 20 feet away- watching and photographing them for several minutes. They were munching away on various green things and paid little attention to me. I did not get out of my old VW van because I knew big momma was nearby- although I never saw her.
Here's a batch of six images of the several months old babies; another batch will follow tomorrow or the next day.
Some are soft focus because I was hand-holding a 400mm lens and shooting with slow color film. I hope the pics are okay, because the babies really were cute .
Charlie

Jun 06, 2012 at 08:04 PM
eyelaser
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Baby bears- #1 of 2 batches

Nice story and a nice memory for sure. These images have held up very well and nice job scanning them into digital format.
Eric

Jun 06, 2012 at 08:12 PM
KCollett
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Baby bears- #1 of 2 batches

They are cute Charlie. You must have been close to get the portrait. Where was momma?

Jun 06, 2012 at 08:13 PM
morris
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Baby bears- #1 of 2 batches

Nice job Charlie

Morris

Jun 06, 2012 at 08:39 PM
Rob Tillyer
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Baby bears- #1 of 2 batches

Great shots Charlie, you should have got out and brushed off all the dirt before you shot them. You would have cleaner babies and have seen Mom.

Rob

Jun 06, 2012 at 09:01 PM
Thomas Sanders
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Baby bears- #1 of 2 batches

They look great Charlie
What a thrill it must have been to see them

Tom

Jun 06, 2012 at 09:05 PM
Charlie Shugart
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Baby bears- #1 of 2 batches

Thanks Eric, Ken and Morris.
The babies were near the road where enough sunlight penetrated to permit a variety of smaller plants to grow. As they'd slowly move parallel to the road, I'd followed in my van, shut off the engine and watch. Then repeat.
As mentioned, I never saw mama, but her cubs were still very young and small- so she wasn't far away. Assuming she'd lived in that region for awhile, she was aware of the noises that cars and trucks made (although back then traffic was sparse), and as long as she didn't smell me or see me, she was probably relaxed- alert, but relaxed. If her babies had made any kind of cry for help, she'd have been there very quickly- you can bet on that. That's why I stayed in my van, and looked around every few seconds.
I may be a city boy- but I ain't no DUMB city boy .
Charlie

Jun 06, 2012 at 09:05 PM
surfnron
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Baby bears- #1 of 2 batches

Well - I like them Charlie. It's hard to beat the fuzzy little guys ~ Ron

Jun 06, 2012 at 09:55 PM
David Leask
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Baby bears- #1 of 2 batches

Great shots Charlie. I'm envious
David

Jun 06, 2012 at 09:57 PM
kmunroe
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Baby bears- #1 of 2 batches

lovely job on the bears Charlie

Jun 07, 2012 at 04:44 AM
Lothen
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Baby bears- #1 of 2 batches

I like the Baby bears, Nice job Charlie

Per

Jun 07, 2012 at 05:32 AM
Charlie Shugart
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Baby bears- #1 of 2 batches

Thanks Rob, Tom, Ron, David, Ken and Per.
Yes, it was a thrill to be able to watch these guys for awhile.
The whole idea of spotting wildlife in the far north comes as something of a surprise to first-time visitors. Unless you go to well-known wildlife habitats (i.e. Denali NP, Kenai Fjords NP, Katmai NP, etc.), you seldom come upon them as you drive the roads. Oh, the wildlife is there in considerable numbers, but the size of the land over which they are spread is also considerable. The chances of wildlife crossing the highway when you happen to come by are- well- not very good.
Charlie

Jun 07, 2012 at 03:38 PM

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.