Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2012 · Hiking Bag.

andyjaggy82
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Hiking Bag.

I'm trying to find a good hiking/camera bag. Something comfortable with preferably separate compartments for hiking/photography equipment. Ideally it would need to hold 1 camera with lens + 2 additional lenses and some random equipment, filters etc....

Any recommendations?

Jun 06, 2012 at 04:14 PM
andyjaggy82
• • •
p.1 #2 · Hiking Bag.

http://www.clikelite.com/

Looks like I might have found my answer.

Jun 06, 2012 at 04:23 PM
VKM2F

p.1 #3 · Hiking Bag.

Really cool bags, thanks for sharing!

Jun 06, 2012 at 04:32 PM
andyjaggy82
• • •
p.1 #4 · Hiking Bag.

Yeah I have been extremely disappointed with all the camera bags I have looked at. They are great at holding and protecting equipment but not something a serious hiker would want to take up a mountain.

Conversely most dedicated hiking bags are pretty lousy at storing/accessing/protecting your equipment.

It looks like these guys might provide the best of both worlds.

Jun 06, 2012 at 04:43 PM
surf monkey
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · Hiking Bag.

Take a look on this thread: http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1117878
I suggested the use of a standard backpack with an insert as the best option (and cheapest).
A Mountainsmith insert can hold a DSLR and one smallish lens and one medium lens.
http://www.mountainsmith.com/products.asp?productId=290&categoryId=13&subCategoryId=29&subCategory2Id=0
Accessories get stored in a small pouch kept in a side pocket or the top lid compartment.
Some of those Clikelite bags look promising, but very expensive.

Jun 06, 2012 at 05:33 PM
surf monkey
• • • •
p.1 #6 · Hiking Bag.

A lot of people like the f-Stop bags as well: http://fstopgear.com/en/product/mountain

Jun 06, 2012 at 05:34 PM
Smiert Spionam
• • • •
p.1 #7 · Hiking Bag.

I've pretty much gone to a Mountainsmith insert in a Gregory or Vaude pack (Osprey is great, too). Unless you want to carry a lot of camera gear (bigt DSLR, multiple lenses), that's likely to be the most comfortable, and the most flexible. I especially like my Vaude Gallery Air, which allows me to put the camera insert at the top, where it rides best.

For a camera-specific pack for a lot of gear, the Dakine Sequence is very comfortable, lightweight, and affordable. It's not an igloo cooler with straps like most camera-specific packs, either.

Jun 06, 2012 at 05:47 PM
andyjaggy82
• • •
p.1 #8 · Hiking Bag.

Actually looking at what it would cost to get an equivalent pack plus insert the click elites aren't any more expensive. The prices on their site are high, they list their 40 liter pack at 340 but you can get it on Amazon for 260.

Those f-stop packs look pretty sweet though. I'll have to do some more research. Thanks everyone.

Jun 06, 2012 at 07:50 PM
andyjaggy82
• • •
p.1 #9 · Hiking Bag.

Gosh, pretty torn now between the clik elite bags and the f-stop bags. I like the modularity of the f-stop bags. They would cost me a bit more though.

Jun 06, 2012 at 08:50 PM
Todd Warnke
• • • •
p.1 #10 · Hiking Bag.

I've tried a couple of the Clik Elite bags and was underwhelmed. The Contrejour is nice, but not all that flexible. OTOH, the F-Stop stuff is fantastic. I've got a Tilopa and a Loka. If you want a "camera" backpack for a day trip they are the way to go. That said, if I'm going out for more than a day I go the real pack + inset way.

Peace,

Todd

Jun 06, 2012 at 10:15 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

VKM2F

p.1 #11 · Hiking Bag.

I've got an f-stop Gura and I'm really happy with it. I like that it's both a nice backpack, and a good camera bag. I like that I have room on top of the ICU to stuff non-camera related stuff for my day out. With traditional camera bags, the main compartment is really meant just for your camera gear. With the f-stop I can mix and match to my content.

Jun 06, 2012 at 10:22 PM
Mr Joe
• • • •
p.1 #12 · Hiking Bag.

Here's specs on 14 bags:
http://www.joereifer.com/words/2012/01/22/a-brief-statement-on-backpacks-for-hiking-with-photo-gear-from-the-society-obsessed-with-photography-backpack-perfection/

I tried the Clik Elite Venture 35, but ended up with the F-Stop Loka. Wish I would've just ponied up for the Loka in the first place. Great bag.

Jun 07, 2012 at 12:20 AM
andyjaggy82
• • •
p.1 #13 · Hiking Bag.

I was leaning towards the Fstop loka with a large ICU insert, but then realized they are out of stock. I might just save myself 80 bucks and get the contrejour 35 instead. We'll see. They both seem like a great fit for my needs.

I would wait, but it's hiking season and I have been going up in the mountain every weekend, I'm not sure I can wait months for the Loka to get back in stock.

Jun 07, 2012 at 03:56 PM
Picture This!
• • •
p.1 #14 · Hiking Bag.

i got a f-stop loka with a large pro icu. The most comfortable backpack I've used. I've had thinktank, timbuk2, lowepro in the past. f-stop stuff is great.

Jun 07, 2012 at 04:20 PM
SidewinderX
• • •
p.1 #15 · Hiking Bag.

Smiert Spionam wrote:
I've pretty much gone to a Mountainsmith insert in a Gregory or Vaude pack (Osprey is great, too). Unless you want to carry a lot of camera gear (bigt DSLR, multiple lenses), that's likely to be the most comfortable, and the most flexible. I especially like my Vaude Gallery Air, which allows me to put the camera insert at the top, where it rides best.

For a camera-specific pack for a lot of gear, the Dakine Sequence is very comfortable, lightweight, and affordable. It's not an igloo cooler with straps like most camera-specific packs, either.

This is what I do. I've got an Osprey Kestrel 32 and I use the mountian smith insert when I want it -- I've also put my crumpler 5 million dollar home in there instead if I'm using the osprey as a carryon for travel.

Jun 07, 2012 at 06:55 PM
rsk7
• •
p.1 #16 · Hiking Bag.

I have the system from AARN with the photopockets. I like it for real hiking.

http://www.aarnusa.com/

Jun 07, 2012 at 11:58 PM
pbraymond
• • •
p.1 #17 · Hiking Bag.

I can vouch for fstop as well as the mountainsmith insert. The insert is as comfortable as the pack you place it in, good for decent amount of photo gear (I've done D700 with L-plate, 28-105, 70-180, 20 in a daypack) and it all fits (barely) inside the top of the pack and is fairly easy to access. Any more gear than that and the fstop is great (I use a Loka). Of course the insert comes at a great price if you already have a pack you like.

Jun 08, 2012 at 02:34 AM
Smiert Spionam
• • • •
p.1 #18 · Hiking Bag.

I think the real split here is over how much gear you want to carry. I've taken a D700 and 2-3 lenses in an insert in a dedicated hiking bag, which was fine, though that's as much as I would likely carry in a non-dedicated photo backpack. If I were carrying something like a 70-200/2.8 or 300/4, something like a Dakine or F-stop bag would start to make more sense. I've largely moved to taking my NEX-7 with me on longer hikes, which makes a dedicated photo backpack completely unnecessary.

If you're carrying 5+ pounds of glass, a dedicated bag is probably a great choice; if you pack lighter, an insert in a well-chosen backpack will be much more comfortable.

If you choose the latter, recommendations of specific brands here are just a starting point. I consistently get the best fit with Gregory packs (though my Vaude is a close second), while my wife prefers Osprey. Both are excellent, and it's really a matter of what suits your body. REI or another good shop can help you pick what fits you best.

Jun 08, 2012 at 02:55 AM
douPel

p.1 #19 · Hiking Bag.

take a look at the clik elite nature. I have it and absolutely love it. I've tried the F-stop loka too, but replaced it with the Nature. After one day it already frustrated me all my little stuff (books, some lens hoods, w/e) all fell behind the ICU. I seemed unable to resolve it.

Besides, I didnt like the thinness of the shoulder and waistbands. Those are much thicker and nicer on the Nature. One thing I like about the F-stop over the Nature was the access to your gear. Its on the back with the F-stop. Especially in dirty earias its better to put the backpack on the front. You wont get the dirt on your shirt when putting it back on

O, i carry a 7D (+grip), sigma 150-500, sigma 150mm, kitlens and 50mm lens with me in the camera compartment. flash, a 28mm lens, books, some food, in the top compartment. The 50 gets replaced by a 10-22mm soon, im unsure if that will fit though.

Jun 08, 2012 at 06:17 AM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · Hiking Bag.

andyjaggy82 wrote:
Gosh, pretty torn now between the clik elite bags and the f-stop bags. I like the modularity of the f-stop bags. They would cost me a bit more though.

yep, versatility generally does. but in return you control to an extent your options and how you will use them..

Jun 08, 2012 at 11:14 AM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password