Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Boys and Girls: Need ALASKA advice please.

hnilsson
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Boys and Girls: Need ALASKA advice please.

Hello lads and lassies.

I am off to Alaska in a few weeks and need some input from those who have been and from those who happen to be our great neighbours to the north west. I am flying into Anchorage with a buddy and renting a SUV. We have 10 days in total. Here is my bucket list for the trip:

1. Coastal grizzlies: Now I know the best place is Katmai and Lake Clarke. I'm looking for griz shots out in the open (not at Brooks Falls since we don't have time to get in there). An overnight trip would be perfect but if possible, I'd like to avoid paying $1,500 for a one night stay. Any suggestions?
2. Puffins: Tufted ones to be specific. I'd image that'd mean a boat trip.
3. Foxes: Arctic and/or red.
4. Wolves: I know, a tough one. But the 2,000 + shots in Yellowstone just weren't enough.
5. Muskox: Perhaps a long shot but if you know anything, bring it on. I figure this would require going wayyyyy north - perhaps not possible this time.

And if you have any other general advice, I'd appreciate that too.

Finally, just to make this a legitimate image post, here's another wolf shot from Yellowstone:

MANY THANKS!

Henrik

Jun 05, 2012 at 04:29 AM
birdied
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Boys and Girls: Need ALASKA advice please.

Can't help with Alaska tips,but love the shot

Birdie

Jun 05, 2012 at 01:56 PM
Rob Tillyer
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Boys and Girls: Need ALASKA advice please.

Great wolf Henrik. My advice is to play nice and have fun.

Rob

Jun 05, 2012 at 02:46 PM
bobl
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Boys and Girls: Need ALASKA advice please.

Henrik,

Here might be some help on your Alaska Trip...

"1. Coastal grizzlies: Now I know the best place is Katmai and Lake Clarke. I'm looking for griz shots out in the open (not at Brooks Falls since we don't have time to get in there). An overnight trip would be perfect but if possible, I'd like to avoid paying $1,500 for a one night stay. Any suggestions?"
Take the Denali Highway (don't let the name fool you... it really is NOT a highway, but a gravel road of 100+/- miles). Coming from Anchorage you'd probably be best advised to head north on the Parks Highway to Cantwell. Turn RIGHT at Cantwell onto the Denali Highway and go to Paxson where it ends. Along the way keep your eyes peeled for griz, wolves, and foxes. A side note for this route: the views of "The Mountain" i.e. Denali are some of the best there are... IF the mountain is out. Travelling from Cantwell to Paxson means the mountain will be behind you. (It's a GOOD IDEA to be aware of what's behind you at all times in Alaska)

"2. Puffins: Tufted ones to be specific. I'd image that'd mean a boat trip."
These guys are out on the west coast of Alaska and yes that means a boat trip. Good luck with this.

"3. Foxes: Arctic and/or red.
4. Wolves: I know, a tough one. But the 2,000 + shots in Yellowstone just weren't enough."
See Number 1

"5. Muskox: Perhaps a long shot but if you know anything, bring it on. I figure this would require going wayyyyy north - perhaps not possible this time."
You probably will not see any muskox in the wild as they don't live near anywhere you'll be able to drive. HOWEVER, the University of Alaska at Fairbanks has a Muskox farm and they are usually visible. If you want directions on how to get there, just let me know.
I no longer live in Alaska, but I did spend over 16 years in the Fairbanks area and was a Tour Guide for 10.

Have a great trip and burn lotsa digits!!!

~Bob

Jun 05, 2012 at 05:08 PM
Ed Robertson
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Boys and Girls: Need ALASKA advice please.

NO BOYS HERE WERE ALL Men Now get up there and shoot. Ed

Jun 05, 2012 at 05:22 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Boys and Girls: Need ALASKA advice please.

hnilsson wrote:
And if you have any other general advice, I'd appreciate that too.

Stay longer and spend more money.

Tony

Jun 05, 2012 at 05:49 PM
KCollett
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Boys and Girls: Need ALASKA advice please.

My advice it to come back with killer images. That would make the rest of us very happy.

Jun 06, 2012 at 12:21 AM
Jonathan Huynh
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Boys and Girls: Need ALASKA advice please.

KCollett wrote:
My advice it to come back with killer images. That would make the rest of us very happy.

Yes !

Jun 06, 2012 at 01:51 AM
Tlazer

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Boys and Girls: Need ALASKA advice please.

Quick tip on bears, if heading south out of Anchorage keep a close on on the hillside as many have been spotted this year and depending on when you are visiting try along the Kenai river as the bears will be in to feed on the salmon.

Jun 08, 2012 at 02:44 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

hnilsson
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Boys and Girls: Need ALASKA advice please.

birdied wrote:
Can't help with Alaska tips,but love the shot

Birdie

Thanks Birdie!

Henrik

Jun 08, 2012 at 04:29 AM
hnilsson
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Boys and Girls: Need ALASKA advice please.

Rob Tillyer wrote:
Great wolf Henrik. My advice is to play nice and have fun.

Rob

Ok, that works for me too, Rob. And you KNOW I always listen to you.

H

Jun 08, 2012 at 04:29 AM
hnilsson
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Boys and Girls: Need ALASKA advice please.

bobl wrote:
Henrik,

Here might be some help on your Alaska Trip...

"1. Coastal grizzlies: Now I know the best place is Katmai and Lake Clarke. I'm looking for griz shots out in the open (not at Brooks Falls since we don't have time to get in there). An overnight trip would be perfect but if possible, I'd like to avoid paying $1,500 for a one night stay. Any suggestions?"
Take the Denali Highway (don't let the name fool you... it really is NOT a highway, but a gravel road of 100+/- miles). Coming from Anchorage you'd probably be best advised to head
...Show more

Ahhhh, now we're talking. THANKS BOB, info noted.

Henrik

Jun 08, 2012 at 04:30 AM
hnilsson
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Boys and Girls: Need ALASKA advice please.

Ed Robertson wrote:
NO BOYS HERE WERE ALL Men Now get up there and shoot. Ed

ALL men? I don't know about that. But I appreciate the good words my friend. Wish you could've come along.

Henrik

Jun 08, 2012 at 04:32 AM
hnilsson
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Boys and Girls: Need ALASKA advice please.

Imagemaster wrote:
Stay longer and spend more money.

Tony

Well Mr. M, I'd love to take 1/2 of your advice (that'd be the first part). I already do my part to keep things moving along.

H

Jun 08, 2012 at 04:33 AM
hnilsson
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Boys and Girls: Need ALASKA advice please.

KCollett wrote:

Me too my friend, me too.

H

Jun 08, 2012 at 04:34 AM
hnilsson
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Boys and Girls: Need ALASKA advice please.

Jonathan Huynh wrote:
Yes !

I'll certainly do my best.

Thanks!

Henrik

Jun 08, 2012 at 04:34 AM
hnilsson
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Boys and Girls: Need ALASKA advice please.

Tlazer wrote:
Quick tip on bears, if heading south out of Anchorage keep a close on on the hillside as many have been spotted this year and depending on when you are visiting try along the Kenai river as the bears will be in to feed on the salmon.

Another good tidbit; I'll do as you suggested.

Many thanks.

Henrik

Jun 08, 2012 at 04:35 AM
blueimage
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Boys and Girls: Need ALASKA advice please.

Henrick, you have lofty desires for a 10 day trip....but I'll offer what I can as I lived in AK for 20 years and, as a pilot there, I got to know the state very well.

For the Coastal Bears and Puffins, I would consider working out of Homer (my old home town) it is an easy drive from Anchorage and is the closest place to fly over to the peninsula for the bears. Their are many day/overnight trips to be had for bears beyond the regular spots - try calling Bald Mountain Aviation and quiz them for suggestions. Foxes should be common wherever you go for the bears. Their are lots of boat charters to be had out of Homer for the Tufted Puffins.

For the wolves, you would really need to go the other direction - North to the Denali area - but you will be hard pressed to duplicate your Yellowstone experience.

Musk Ox - I understand your desire to get shots of them - they are very cool! The best place for them is Nunavak Island, however my favorite and easier place was on the small peninsula near the towns of Tooksook and Tununik, which are on the mainland across from Nunavak Is. You could fly from Anchorage to "Bethel" on a scheduled flight, from there they have a daily commuter flight to "Tununik", then hire a local with a 4 wheeler to take you out to stalk the Muskies. This would produce the best "wild shots", and a cultural highlight, but would require a few days - otherwise, it's a farm or zoo.

Best of luck to you!

Jim

Jun 08, 2012 at 07:42 AM

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password