Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              30      
       32       end

Archive 2012 · Sony Zeiss RX100

Yakim Peled
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.31 #1 · p.31 #1 · Sony Zeiss RX100

millsart wrote:
Glad to know what you do NOT plan to buy

Yep. I have enough things that I DO want to buy.

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

Sep 08, 2012 at 12:57 PM
DaveOls
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.31 #2 · p.31 #2 · Sony Zeiss RX100

This camera sure has generated a lot of interest! If I buy another p&s, this is at the top of my list.

Sep 09, 2012 at 12:32 PM
ytwong
• • •
p.31 #3 · p.31 #3 · Sony Zeiss RX100

I ordered the carryspeed filter and already got a 46-52 ring, hopefully the diopter would work with that.

RX-100 is my first P&S that could do decent long exposure. But once I put a QR plate on, I have difficult turning the front wheel.

Sep 09, 2012 at 04:15 PM
millsart
• • • •
p.31 #4 · p.31 #4 · Sony Zeiss RX100

Instead of using a normal AS style QR plate I realized that there really is no need for such a wide plate.

Instead, I used a 3" metal corner bracket that is about 3/4" wide and cut down one side of it, making an very nice low profile L bracket that fits the camera perfectly and that adds no extra bulk. Drilled a new tripod hole and put some adhesive sided cork on it to protect the camera and prevent twisting.

For a clamp, I found that those little $10 hotshoe clamps with the adjustable jaws for using flashes work great as they have a dovetail bevel in them.

Took a couple of minutes with the dremel to bevel the edge of the L bracket so now it clamps and holds perfectly, just like a scaled down Acra-Swiss style system.

The smaller sized clamp makes more sense on my little travel ballhead as well.

about $15 in parts sure beats paying RRS etc $100+ for some bracket

I'm working on making a 2.0 version now where I am grinding out some material in the middle of the bracket to make it even lighter (it only weights a few ounces as it, but its steel, not aluminum so its still a little heavier than I'd like)

I couldn't find aluminum angle braces that where thin/long enough unless they were about 1/4" thick so went with the steel ones you can get at any hardware store. Made things much easier as I didn't have to built a way to get the right angle aspect.

Could just get a flat little piece for the bottom as well and make it even simpler than this, but I personally like having the L bracket design as I like to mount the camera vertically for a lot of tripod shots.

I'll post some photos when I get everything all done and spray painted. All and all it again ended up working better than I could of hoped and at such a low price and really so easy that anyone could do it at well, with parts anyone can. All the must haves of a successful DIY

Cheers

Sep 09, 2012 at 05:49 PM
Jeff Kott
• • •
p.31 #5 · p.31 #5 · Sony Zeiss RX100

If you scroll about a third of the way down the page, there's a "photo essay" that Ming Thien did on Pappan, Malaysia, with his RX 100, which may be interesting to the group.

http://blog.mingthein.com/

Sep 13, 2012 at 10:23 PM
EOS20
• • • • • •
p.31 #6 · p.31 #6 · Sony Zeiss RX100

Carryspeed will be selling filter adapter rings for $29.95 in 52mm, 55mm, and 58mm sizes:

http://www.carryspeed.com/products/magfilter-threaded-adapter-ring?ref=N91412

Sep 15, 2012 at 01:05 AM
shelt
• •
p.31 #7 · p.31 #7 · Sony Zeiss RX100

A couple of shots from Yellowstone this week. I inadvertently set exposure comp to -1.3 when I thought I was setting flash comp. The shots came out OK after a little work in LR4. I really like this little camera!

Sep 15, 2012 at 08:51 PM
timpdx
• • •
p.31 #8 · p.31 #8 · Sony Zeiss RX100

EOS20 wrote:
Carryspeed will be selling filter adapter rings for $29.95 in 52mm, 55mm, and 58mm sizes:

http://www.carryspeed.com/products/magfilter-threaded-adapter-ring?ref=N91412

http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0136/9782/files/IMG_8919_grande.jpg

Oh, yes!

Sep 15, 2012 at 09:24 PM
buggz2k
• • •
p.31 #9 · p.31 #9 · Sony Zeiss RX100

Is there a cable release hack for this model yet?
I would love to use this thing with a GigaPan Epic.

Sep 24, 2012 at 12:25 AM
millsart
• • • •
p.31 #10 · p.31 #10 · Sony Zeiss RX100

I'm using it with an Epic and it works just fine using the Gigapan button pusher thing, camera fits easily onto the camera platform and the button pusher arm easily adjust to fit the camera.

I also build a little mechanical cable release that clamps onto my L bracket and then has a riser post and then a little flat metal cap that goes over the shutter, to which I have a threaded nut I screw the cable release into. Works pretty well and you can do long exposures in bulb mode that way which is nice

Sep 24, 2012 at 01:18 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

buggz2k
• • •
p.31 #11 · p.31 #11 · Sony Zeiss RX100

Thanks, guess I'm gonna be buying an expensive toy.
Always wanted to get a nice p&s, but, was not thinking of one this expensive though...

Sep 24, 2012 at 08:23 PM
EOS20
• • • • • •
p.31 #12 · p.31 #12 · Sony Zeiss RX100

1" sensors could save the compact camera:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/10/16/Sandor-Barna-explains-how-1-inch-sensors-will-save-the-compact-camera

Oct 16, 2012 at 12:00 PM
timpdx
• • •
p.31 #13 · p.31 #13 · Sony Zeiss RX100

Bumping this back up to the top because I got my carryspeed mag filter and step up ring but can't find a way to take apart the mag filter. Others have posted "it comes apart easy" but mine is tight and I find no way to get purchase without damaging it with pliers. Do you have to break the filter glass to get the magnetic rign off?

Thanks

Nov 14, 2012 at 04:40 PM
millsart
• • • •
p.31 #14 · p.31 #14 · Sony Zeiss RX100

Try holding it between some of those rubber jar opener type pads. The front and back pieces should unscrew pretty easily if you can get a grip on both sides at the same time.

If that doesn't work you could break the glass if you had to. Basically if your doing the method I made up and using a step up ring, the only parts you really want to keep are the red ring and the inner magnet.

Jar opener pads should work though

Nov 14, 2012 at 05:17 PM
timpdx
• • •
p.31 #15 · p.31 #15 · Sony Zeiss RX100

It was on there super tight, had to break the filter to get it off and even then it was difficult. Guess some are drum tight and others are loose. Its done, works like a charm.

Nov 14, 2012 at 06:20 PM
bigkidneys
• • •
p.31 #16 · p.31 #16 · Sony Zeiss RX100

Mine is on tight too. Gonna do what Millsart recommended and put a 46-49 step up ring on it to use my 49mm polarizers and ND filters.

Nov 14, 2012 at 09:30 PM
timpdx
• • •
p.31 #17 · p.31 #17 · Sony Zeiss RX100

Mine works fine after breaking the filter and just glued on my step up ring to 49mm that goes with my existing filters. The profile with the magnet ring is tiny so the camera is essentially unchanged in size, snaps on and stays on, will have to see if I bump it a little if it falls off or not, but the magnets are powerful.

Nov 14, 2012 at 09:45 PM
millsart
• • • •
p.31 #18 · p.31 #18 · Sony Zeiss RX100

Interesting you guys are having such trouble getting it off. I guess they changed the polarizer glass sightly, and/or stopped using the clear piece on the backside (which I'm sure caused some internal reflections) Guess maybe those changes resulted in a unit that is a bit harder to get apart.

Or maybe the early batch came apart too easily....

At any rate of course, glad to hear a little brute force can solve the problem, and the 46-49mm step up adapter is working for everyone.

Its a brilliant way of attaching a filter and darn if having to sit there and screw/unscrew my ND's onto my DSLR lenses doesn't feel needlessly slow when I'm out shooting.

Nov 15, 2012 at 03:25 AM
bigkidneys
• • •
p.31 #19 · p.31 #19 · Sony Zeiss RX100

Before I pull mine apart I do not think the 46-49 step up ring can be glued onto the magnet portion. It looks to be too large.

Nov 15, 2012 at 03:28 AM
ytwong
• • •
p.31 #20 · p.31 #20 · Sony Zeiss RX100

I glued a 46-52 step up ring together with the magnet... it works.

Nov 15, 2012 at 04:18 AM
       32       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

32       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password