Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4              31       32       end

Archive 2012 · Sony Zeiss RX100

millsart
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Sony Zeiss RX100

kwalsh wrote:
Not sure I have a great need for this camera, I rarely use my LX3 as it is, but this is getting pretty close to a sweet spot between my m43 and phone that I might actually use.

Ken

Thats the problem I always find with compacts. While I do like the S100 and LX5, and they are both pretty easy to carry, especially the S100, I simply don't find myself always putting them in a pocket. With my keys in one pocket and cellphone in another, where does a camera really go ?

Its not as if my iPhone doesn't suffice for those times when I simply want to grab a random shot of something, and usually those type of images are just to text a friend or post of FB anyways, which makes the iPhone even more practical (I guess compact with a eyefi card could solve that issue)

If on the other hand I'm going to someplace where I know I really do plan on doing some photography, I don't want to bring just a compact, I'll bring a mirrorless or even a DSLR depending on the nature of what I hope to shoot.

Just sort of makes the compact, as good as one may be, fall into a sort of no man's land for me where its more than I want on a day to day basis, and less than I want when the goal is to do real photography.

Jun 06, 2012 at 04:41 PM
kosmoskatten
• • • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Sony Zeiss RX100

Same here, I think the RX100 seems like a great quality compact digital camera, just wish they had settled for 12<16MP and also wished they lens had been a little faster at the long end.

Love the concept though; large-ish sensor and a wide zoom. If I didn't have the X10, the RX100 would be on my short list, the Zeiss lens seems promising.

Still love my X10, not the best handling but great results. Also, the X10 lens is "significantly" faster at the long end of the zoom, where I find you need it more than on the wide end.

Jun 06, 2012 at 04:41 PM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Sony Zeiss RX100

kosmoskatten, how do you find the magnification on the X10 when you're in the 50mm (equiv) and up range?

I'm curious if you can get close enough for this kind of shot:

Jun 06, 2012 at 04:46 PM
kahren
• • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Sony Zeiss RX100

kosmoskatten wrote:
Same here, I think the RX100 seems like a great quality compact digital camera, just wish they had settled for 12<16MP and also wished they lens had been a little faster at the long end.

Love the concept though; large-ish sensor and a wide zoom. If I didn't have the X10, the RX100 would be on my short list, the Zeiss lens seems promising.

Still love my X10, not the best handling but great results. Also, the X10 lens is "significantly" faster at the long end of the zoom, where I find you need it more than on the wide
...Show more

x10 is only about half a stop faster then rx100, i don't think that is "significant" more like insignificant, for the 1.5 stops faster that you get with the rx100 at the wide end.

thanks to dpreview who finally did a comparison of focal lengths as well as aperture
scroll down a bit and you will see the chart, here is the link
http://www.dpreview.com/previews/sony-dsc-rx100/

Jun 06, 2012 at 05:04 PM
kosmoskatten
• • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Sony Zeiss RX100

...hence the " " around "significant".

However, the sluggishness of the RX100 at the long end still stands as a bummer with 4.9 vs the X10:s 2.8 and at a lower magnification as well (100mm on the RX100 vs 112mm on the X10). Equivalent aperture for DoF is a different thing though.

But it sure looks nice and slim, I bet the battery life is better than the X10.

Edited on Jun 06, 2012 at 08:35 PM · View previous versions

Jun 06, 2012 at 08:25 PM
kosmoskatten
• • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Sony Zeiss RX100

FPF: I don't know, I have done some macro with it but around 50mm and up? I am not sure, will have to try it out.

Jun 06, 2012 at 08:30 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Sony Zeiss RX100

kosmoskatten wrote:

However, the sluggishness of the RX100 at the long end still stands as a bummer with 2.4 stops slower equivalent aperture and at a lower magnification as well (100mm on the RX100 vs 112mm on the X10).

yeah, i'd have preferred a smaller zoom range and faster lens, but i wouldn't want anything that would make the camera bigger with the lens collapsed. the camera size and larger sensor make this camera much more attractive to me than the x10 (i'm also really annoyed by the rangefinder styling of the x10).

Jun 06, 2012 at 08:34 PM
kosmoskatten
• • • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Sony Zeiss RX100

sebboh: I like the looks of the X10 and I think the optical finder does work (though not very accurate) as a p&s option when the angle of the sun makes working the LCD a pain. Which can be often. Indoors I never use it though.

The X10 is on the large side of things, even with the slimmest possible hard case. But it is manageable.

I do like the RX100, I am a sucker for Zeiss but not really a big fan of Sony. Gotta hand it to them though, they've come on strong last couple of years.

Jun 06, 2012 at 08:37 PM
curious80
• • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Sony Zeiss RX100

kosmoskatten wrote:

However, the sluggishness of the RX100 at the long end still stands as a bummer with 4.9 vs the X10:s 2.8 and at a lower magnification as well (100mm on the RX100 vs 112mm on the X10). Equivalent aperture for DoF is a different thing though.

But as others pointed out if you factor in the sensor size the effective aperture is only half a stop slower on the long end which is a price I would be willing to pay for its size. X10 looks like a very nice camera but it gets in a territory in terms of size where for me it cannot play the role of a compact camera. RX100 on the other hand is faster at most of the range and is much slimmer.

Jun 06, 2012 at 08:42 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Sony Zeiss RX100

kosmoskatten wrote:
sebboh: I like the looks of the X10 and I think the optical finder does work (though not very accurate) as a p&s option when the angle of the sun makes working the LCD a pain. Which can be often. Indoors I never use it though.

The X10 is on the large side of things, even with the slimmest possible hard case. But it is manageable.

I do like the RX100, I am a sucker for Zeiss but not really a big fan of Sony. Gotta hand it to them though, they've come on strong last couple of years.

my beef with the x10 (other than the fact that's too big for a p&s) is that i'm super annoyed by retro styling that comes ahead of function. retro style cameras that use the advantages of the cameras they're styled after i like though.

i actually kinda hate sony and like fuji more than zeiss, but when it comes to p&s cameras sony seems more my style.

Jun 06, 2012 at 08:50 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

kosmoskatten
• • • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Sony Zeiss RX100

Sebboh; my thought exactly. I was going to put it more gently, but I do agree.

Curious: For pocketability the RX100 is way nicer. The X10 is very nice, but has some quirks and is on the large side. Light, but large.

FPF: forgot to comment on the watch, one of my favorite brands, IWC. Will not be able to afford/justify buying one myself though.

Jun 06, 2012 at 08:53 PM
Yakim Peled
• • • • • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Sony Zeiss RX100

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ekclSvKtHRQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Sfr9zu9Xdn0

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

Jun 06, 2012 at 09:21 PM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Sony Zeiss RX100

Its certainly cheaper here Kosmo, and IWC is one of my top 3 favorite makers.

Jun 06, 2012 at 09:28 PM
thrice
• • • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Sony Zeiss RX100

Beni wrote:
To be honest I could have wished for them to have used a bigger sensor to improve IQ rather than just as a means to double the megapixel 'wow' effect for consumers.

The DSCHX20 is already 18 megapixel on a 1/2.3" sensor I believe.

Jun 07, 2012 at 12:26 AM
michael49
• • • • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · Sony Zeiss RX100

I owned and sold the X10.

Things I loved about it:

- build quality
- retro styling - it was a camera which was simply nice to hold.
- fast, sharp lens
- manual zoom on lens
- FL on lens marked in 35mm equivalents
- Fuji colors

Things I didn't like:

- optical VF only 85% coverage in native 4:3 which was annoying, but when you switch to 3:2 it was almost useless.
- MF was a cruel joke
- no info in optical VF
- aggressive NR in jpegs
- IS wasn't as effective as I expected it to be.
- write times seemed a bit slow.
- Its been a while since I've used a camera with such a small sensor. Huge difference in DOF/subject isolation even compared with micro 4/3
- high ISO performance was such that I didn't like to shoot above ISO 400
- a bit large for what it is.

Having said that, I got some really nice images out of it. The problem is that for its size I'd rather just carry my epl2 or NEX. Its a little too big for a pocket-able take everywhere camera.

Jun 07, 2012 at 01:39 AM
kosmoskatten
• • • •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · Sony Zeiss RX100

Yes, MF on the X10 is useless. It is a point and shoot, albeit a great one at that.

Jun 07, 2012 at 06:01 AM
Jeff Kott
• • •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · Sony Zeiss RX100

This camera looks great, but it's a shame they didn't make it compatable with the Nex 5N accessory EVF like Panasonic did with the LX-5 and the GF-1 EVF.

Jun 07, 2012 at 06:23 AM
lou f
• • • • •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · Sony Zeiss RX100

Yakim Peled wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ekclSvKtHRQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Sfr9zu9Xdn0

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

wow, the 1st is like a hard sell infomercial and christ is that the type of wanker they sell cameras too...

Jun 07, 2012 at 11:06 AM
kahren
• • •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · Sony Zeiss RX100

Jeff Kott wrote:
This camera looks great, but it's a shame they didn't make it compatable with the Nex 5N accessory EVF like Panasonic did with the LX-5 and the GF-1 EVF.

the rx100 is pocketable, the lx5 gf1 not so much, adding an evf to the rx100 would make it no longer pocketable. I think that is the big point, this seems to be more inline with the canons s100 intended use.

Jun 07, 2012 at 03:28 PM
millsart
• • • •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · Sony Zeiss RX100

kahren wrote:
the rx100 is pocketable, the lx5 gf1 not so much, adding an evf to the rx100 would make it no longer pocketable. I think that is the big point, this seems to be more inline with the canons s100 intended use.

That is why its called an accessory though, because you can take it on/off as needed. If your planning to take the on a walk and want it in a pocket, leave the EVF at home. If your going to be doing some shooting at the beach etc where an EVF could be handy, or you simply prefer not to hold a camera at arms length, snap the EVF on.

It gives versatility and choices to the end user

Jun 07, 2012 at 03:54 PM
1       2      

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password