Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · Grizzly - Bow Valley Parkway - Banff Park

Scott Stoness
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Grizzly - Bow Valley Parkway - Banff Park

Today, Dan Heitman and I went out to look for some landscape and wildlife.

On the way back home we found a young grizzly bear. This bear was orphaned last year with his sister, when his mom was run over by a train. Fortunately, it looks like he is figuring out life by himself.

He had a sore paw because he got some porcupine quills. The park ranger says they tranquilized him and took them out.

His sister is somewhere in the vicinity as well but we did not see her.

Some motorcycles came by leading to the start of the bluff charge. It was neat to see.

[Added - Here is a newspaper story about this bear from yesterday. http://www.calgaryherald.com/technology/Orphaned+grizzlies+doing+well+near+Lake+Louise/6723956/story.html ] I think the Herald stated 76 lbs when they meant 76kg or about 200lbs. He looked way bigger than 76lbs.]

Comments and feedback is appreciated. Scott

1-4 of 4

1 of 4

Canon EOS 5D Mark III    EF500mm f/4L IS USM lens    500mm    f/4.0    1/640s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

2 of 4

Canon EOS 5D Mark III    EF500mm f/4L IS USM lens    500mm    f/4.0    1/250s    125 ISO    0.0 EV  

3 of 4

Canon EOS 5D Mark III    EF500mm f/4L IS USM lens    500mm    f/4.0    1/250s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

4 of 4

Canon EOS 7D    170mm    f/5.0    1/250s    200 ISO    0.0 EV  

Edited on Jun 05, 2012 at 12:11 AM · View previous versions

Jun 04, 2012 at 05:44 AM
David Leask
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · Grizzly - Bow Valley Parkway - Banff Park

Wow! These are excellent Scott. I remember on my last visit there seeing a big grizzly walk along the rail track at Morants Curve. I wonder if it was mom.
David

Jun 04, 2012 at 09:13 AM
KCollett
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · Grizzly - Bow Valley Parkway - Banff Park

Cool shots Scott!! Seeing even a young bear stand up like that is pretty impressive.

Jun 04, 2012 at 12:26 PM
Scott Stoness
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · Grizzly - Bow Valley Parkway - Banff Park

David Leask: These picture were taken between Morant Curve and Protection Mountain. And the bears have been around here for several years, so it could be the offspring. Glad you like them. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

KCollett: The young bears look pretty docile until you see them to the aggressive stance. Hopefully I won't meet him on a trail. The impressive thing about this area is that almost every 10 minutes a person pedals by alone on a bike, and there are never any problems. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

Jun 04, 2012 at 12:51 PM
321photos
• • • •
p.1 #5 · Grizzly - Bow Valley Parkway - Banff Park

Great shots Scott !

Mark.

Jun 04, 2012 at 04:43 PM
douter
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · Grizzly - Bow Valley Parkway - Banff Park

Good work, Scott. He certainly looks like a healthy speciman.
Douglas

Jun 04, 2012 at 05:11 PM
CDaescher
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · Grizzly - Bow Valley Parkway - Banff Park

Scott, the first is amazing and then I saw the jaw dropping #2 & 3.
Super set. Thanks for sharing.
Chris

Jun 04, 2012 at 08:22 PM
Rob Tillyer
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · Grizzly - Bow Valley Parkway - Banff Park

Wow super job Scott.

Rob

Jun 04, 2012 at 08:43 PM
slau
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · Grizzly - Bow Valley Parkway - Banff Park

Good shot, Scott.

I am glad that the young bear seems to be healthy and doing well. Grizzly bears seem to be doing in Kananaskis and Banff areas lately.

Stephen

Jun 04, 2012 at 09:23 PM
Thomas Sanders
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · Grizzly - Bow Valley Parkway - Banff Park

Exciting to see these Scott, enjoyed each frame and appreciate your great documentary too

Tom

Jun 04, 2012 at 09:35 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

canadajim
• • •
p.1 #11 · Grizzly - Bow Valley Parkway - Banff Park

Stunning! Real nice set Scott.

Jim

Jun 04, 2012 at 10:11 PM
kmunroe
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · Grizzly - Bow Valley Parkway - Banff Park

always a treat to see your bears Scott.. great set

Jun 04, 2012 at 11:04 PM
Scott Stoness
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · Grizzly - Bow Valley Parkway - Banff Park

321photos: Glad you like them. It was great to find him and know that he is surviving well without his mom. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

douter: Now that he has the porcupine quills out of his paws, he is a new man grizzly. As long as he does not run into another male grizzly or a train or a car, he will be twice as big next year. Glad you like the pictures. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

CDaescher: He put on a good show. And given that he came out and then went out of sight and another black bear distracted me, its a good reminder to wait the bears out and they will come back, because he did. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

Rob Tillyer: Glad you like then. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

slau: I agree - people need to slow down. I am constantly frustrated by people speeding in the park. Why go to the park if you going to speed. They should install photo-radar. There is an article in the Calgary Herald today about this bear. I will see if I can link to it. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated.

Thomas Sanders: Glad you like the pictures and the story. I will find the link for the full bear story. It is interesting. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

canadajim: Glad you like them. If you are looking; he was between Protection Campsite and Morant Curver, closer to Morant. Apparently his sister is nearby. And apparently there is a mom and 2 cubs near Paradise motel at Lake Louise. Also 2 sets of mom and cubs near cave and basin. And a mom and cubs near Norquay. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

kmunroe: Glad you like "my" bears. Shooting a standing up grizzly has been on my list and I did not miss it. Unfortunately, I wanted him looking at me. But even though I had the 500f4, I am not sure I would not have peed my pants if he gave me this look. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

[Link at top - to newspaper article.]

My accolades to Parks Canada - the radio gps transmitter is so small it does not even show in pictures. This is great. There is nothing more frustrating than taking a picture of a collared bear. Hopefully Yellowstone will adopt this policy. I did not even see it until the Park Ranger told me about it and if you look in the last picture, its hanging from his ear but you have to know it is there to see it.

Jun 05, 2012 at 12:07 AM
surfnron
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · Grizzly - Bow Valley Parkway - Banff Park

I love the eye contact in 1 Scott. 2 made me smile, and 4 is very nice too ~ Ron

Jun 05, 2012 at 01:02 AM
Conrad Tan
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · Grizzly - Bow Valley Parkway - Banff Park

WOW

Jun 05, 2012 at 01:07 AM
DonGut
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · Grizzly - Bow Valley Parkway - Banff Park

@ and 3 are just super shots. Very nice stuff. You did well with the dark fur, capturing the detail. Don

Jun 05, 2012 at 01:10 AM
Scott Stoness
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · Grizzly - Bow Valley Parkway - Banff Park

surfnron: I like it when the bear and I see eye to eye Glad you like them. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

Conrad Tan: Glad you like the bears. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

DonGut: I have been looking for the standing look for a while. Usually I miss it while fiddling with my camera's. Glad you like it. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

Jun 05, 2012 at 02:44 AM
hnilsson
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · Grizzly - Bow Valley Parkway - Banff Park

My dog weighs just under 76 pounds....and this guy is just a weeeee larger.

Great shots Scott Stoness.

HNilsson aka Henrik

Jun 05, 2012 at 03:05 AM
WilliamFinley
• • • •
p.1 #19 · Grizzly - Bow Valley Parkway - Banff Park

Outstanding! #2 & 3 look scary to me.

Bill

Jun 05, 2012 at 03:12 AM
Scott Stoness
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · Grizzly - Bow Valley Parkway - Banff Park

hnilsson: 76lbs is impossible. Its either an old number from the previous year or missing a 1 or should be kilograms. He looks at least 200lbs. This guy was as tall as me 6'2" standing up. Glad you like them. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

WilliamFinley: I was trying to decide between running and screaming to the car or continuing the pictures. I will have to remember next time, the 5dii is closer on the 500 Glad you liked them. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

Jun 05, 2012 at 03:32 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password