Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Tokina 11-16

andyjaggy82
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Tokina 11-16

I bought this lens a little while ago and am just noticing that it won't focus to infinity. I pull up live view when using the lens and manually rotate the focus to the infinity point, but the objects at infinity, mountains, are still blurry.

Is this normal behavior, I am assuming it is not.

The lens also is incredibly soft on the whole right side of the frame, so I am thinking I need to send it in for repair.

thoughts?

Jun 02, 2012 at 02:20 AM
kakomu
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Tokina 11-16

andyjaggy82 wrote:
thoughts?

Send it in for repair (or return, if you can).

Jun 02, 2012 at 05:05 AM
Dick Snyder
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Tokina 11-16

I owned this lens and found it to be very sharp and a nice lens to use with a crop camera. I would have it repaired. The potential is there.

Dick

Jun 02, 2012 at 03:48 PM
andyjaggy82
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Tokina 11-16

Yep, I'm sending it in today for repairs. I think it is definitely decentered, because part of the frame is razor sharp, but the whole right side is very blurry.

Jun 02, 2012 at 07:49 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

andyjaggy82
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Tokina 11-16

Sent it in, got it back surprisingly fast (about 2 weeks total time from sending to getting it back) and it seems to be working a lot better.

Jun 20, 2012 at 03:44 PM
dsjtecserv
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Tokina 11-16

It is probably moot now, but are you sure you weren't turning the focusing ring past infinity?

Dave

Jun 20, 2012 at 04:14 PM
BigGaz

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Tokina 11-16

Hi guys,

This is my first post here, I found it from Googling for "Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 infinity focus issue".

I've had this lens for nearly a year and found that it would be in focus at infinity when shot wide open for milky way shots, but I tried to use it a few weeks ago wide open for aurora photography and noticed my infinity focussed pictures were blurred / out of focus. The next day in daylight, I used the camera on a tripod with a magnified live view (Canon EOS 7D) and could not get it to manually focus on very distant objects. I would turn the focus ring to bring the distant hills into focus, then I hit the end stop. It was as if the lens ring couldn't turn enough and it needed an extra bit of focus ring turn but it mechanically couldn't.

It seems to be a documented issue with this lens.

I have sent mine back for repair as it is still under warranty, but WEX Photographic in the UK have contacted me to say "they've found no fault with your lens". I'll see what it's like when they ship it back to me.

Aug 16, 2012 at 09:31 PM
Derek Weston
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Tokina 11-16

Mine hits infinite focus by dragging it all the way over to infinity (can't jump past)... easiest focusing lens ever.

Aug 16, 2012 at 11:39 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password