Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Rant: new location of search box

GroovyGeek
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Rant: new location of search box

Does anyone hate the new placements of the B&H and forum search boxes as much as me? I think I understand why Fred did it, he probably gets paid by B&H based on traffic, and placing the B&H search box where the forum search box used to be is a surefire way to drive traffic to B&H -- I make the mistake at least once a day. However, I end up on B&H's site extremely annoyed and in no mood to shop, so the whole gimmick kind of falls apart immediately. Hopefully after a while FM and B&H convince themselves that this is not productive and undo the "stunt"

May 31, 2012 at 05:32 AM
borderlight
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · Rant: new location of search box

Fred is testing your coping skills, that's all. Relax & breathe deeply. Just for a moment think of those who are forced to live out of their car, then return to your rant. See, it's not all that bad is it? Man up.

May 31, 2012 at 03:33 PM
omarlyn
• • • •
p.1 #3 · Rant: new location of search box

GroovyGeek wrote:
...I make the mistake at least once a day...

There's an old saying, "Fool me once, shame on you...fool me twice, shame on me"

In any case...I think you're making too much of it. A little advertising is fine with me...I perfectly understand it from a business perpective and I'm fine with it. Besides, B&H isn't a bad place to end up at.

Omar

May 31, 2012 at 04:16 PM
GroovyGeek
• • •
p.1 #4 · Rant: new location of search box

Probably used too strong a language, I understand why it is done and the fact that is helps pay for this useful site to run. I am fine with it, but I do think the way it is implemented is counter-productive. When I end up on a website without intending to be there the first thing I do is close the window, not shop.

May 31, 2012 at 04:32 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #5 · Rant: new location of search box

It was placed together on the side where there is constant user input (see image below). It also helped with the site layout.
I understand it will be an adjustment but after couple weeks, it should become more automatic.

May 31, 2012 at 04:44 PM
DanBrown
• • • •
p.1 #6 · Rant: new location of search box

“The wise adapt themselves to circumstances, as water molds itself to the pitcher”

- Chinese proverb

May 31, 2012 at 04:48 PM
stanley208

p.1 #7 · Rant: new location of search box

maybe its just me, but the button clearly says "search b&h"
am i missing something?

"use the wrong search box once, shame on me, use the wrong search box twice, shame on me even more, use the wrong search box more than twice im an old dog without new tricks"

May 31, 2012 at 08:21 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #8 · Rant: new location of search box

stanley208 wrote:
am i missing something?

"use the wrong search box once, shame on me, use the wrong search box twice, shame on me even more, use the wrong search box more than twice im an old dog without new tricks"

See the picture I just posted above for location of the topic search.
Best,
Fred

May 31, 2012 at 08:47 PM
Jeffrey
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · Rant: new location of search box

"Adapt or Die'.

(probably attributed to something said in a StarTrek episode or movie).

May 31, 2012 at 10:50 PM
monochrome
• • • •
p.1 #10 · Rant: new location of search box

The topics are on the left of the page, to go the top and then to the right of the page, doesn't follow the logic your brain naturally does... :2cents: The others item used to navigate the page you are on, are on the left, near the B&H search box, but whatever needed to get us from here to their site...

Jun 02, 2012 at 07:31 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Jo Dilbeck
• • • •
p.1 #11 · Rant: new location of search box

stanley208 wrote:
am i missing something?

The problem stems from the fact that the B&H search box now lies in the location where the forum search box used to lie. I'm one of those old dogs, but I'm sure after 8-10 times in the wrong box, I'll figure it out

Jo

Jun 05, 2012 at 10:22 PM
Michael H
• • • •
p.1 #12 · Rant: new location of search box

Just adapt, and heck...click some ads and maybe even buy something to help keep this amazing site free.

Takes a lot of stones to come in here and "rant" or complain about it. Instead, think about thanking Fred and maybe even offer an apology.

Fred, thank you for all the work you do to keep the site running and free. It s much appreciated.

Edited on Jun 07, 2012 at 03:10 PM · View previous versions

Jun 07, 2012 at 03:47 AM
monochrome
• • • •
p.1 #13 · Rant: new location of search box

That would be, click some "ads", this isn't math...

And what makes this a hell of a good site, is that Fred will let us give out opinions without getting into a tizzy.

Jun 07, 2012 at 02:30 PM
Michael H
• • • •
p.1 #14 · Rant: new location of search box

Corrected. Thanks...fat fingers get me every time.

And I certainly hope my post wasn't viewed as a "tizzy", but I do think there is a difference between voicing an opinion and a "rant" which is a bit over the edge IMHO.

Have a great day

Jun 07, 2012 at 03:10 PM
Nikon Rob
• •
p.1 #15 · Rant: new location of search box

I personally disagree with the reasoning Fred states for the change. It is counter-intuitive and illogical to have the BH search box there. The right side is not where there is constant user input when you are looking for something on the B&S forum. That is where the user goes when he wants to 1) leave the active B&S forum (to go to another forum, another year, or logically, the BH site) or 2) start a new topic. The first reason is completely unrelated to searching the current forum, and most people probably don't even navigate forums there anyway - they use the forums links on the left or top. The second could arguably be related: if you can't find what you're looking for browsing, you then search for it, and finally post a WTB thread. That's highly unlikely though, since maybe 5% of threads are WTB, and far less than 1% of page visits result in a new topic.

I guarantee if you trace the average user's mouse it's going to be on the left side of the screen the vast majority of the time, and it's simply much more intuitive and people are much more used to having a search box there (see: craigslist, ebay, google, or if you like irony, BHphoto). People will continue for years to accidentally use the wrong search box because most every other site puts it on the left or completely separates it from the rest of the layout if it's on the right. The fact that the forum search box used to be there just makes it even worse and is the only reason people are complaining. If there was just a link to go to BH on the top left no one would care, because no one would accidentally be taken where they don't want. I love these forums but to be honest I don't believe that the primary reason was based on logic or site layout.

Jun 10, 2012 at 07:23 PM
soupcxan
• •
p.1 #16 · Rant: new location of search box

I agree that the removal of the B&S search box from the left hand side is really annoying. Within the flow of the page, the B&S search box is more prominent on the left, which is logical. I understand the need to have some ads in addition to the memberships, but as a paying member, this is getting annoying.

In the short run, I guess this generates more ad revenue from B&H. But over time B&H will see that most of the searches do not generate any revenue for them, because people are just hitting the back button to return to B&S once they realize they've used the wrong search box.

Why would I come to the B&S forum if I really wanted to search B&H? I know where to find B&H if I want them.

Jun 15, 2012 at 08:06 PM
beanpkk
• • •
p.1 #17 · Rant: new location of search box

I'm afraid I agree entirely with Nikon Rob and soupcxan. After the third or fourth time of hitting the wrong box, I have learned to go to the right side of the window but I confess it annoys me. I think the reason the B&H box is where it is is pure economics -- it drives all of us who expect FM search to the B&H site. I also agree that the end result of that is irritation, not spending money. A four-letter-word or two and hit the Back button (or whatever) and then go to the right side. Logically, when you add a new function to a window, you add a new button for that function -- you don't replace an often-used button with the new one and move the often-used one off to the side somewhere.

My 2 cents.
Keith

Jul 17, 2012 at 12:00 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · Rant: new location of search box

I like to learn new things every day.

Jul 17, 2012 at 12:47 PM
Mike1.6
• • •
p.1 #19 · Rant: new location of search box

I like the new placement of the B&H search button. The first thing I want to check when looking at used gear is the price B&H charges for the new one. It's very convenient and I find it adds to my experience here on the best photography site on the web.

Jul 17, 2012 at 07:37 PM

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password