FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Up close with nature.

Rojhan

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Up close with nature.

Flickr

I thought I remembered being able to inline images, but it's been forever since I posted.

"Great equipment doesn't make a great photographer", but it certainly doesn't hurt under extreme conditions. I was shooting under very low light but having the camera available and being in the right spot at the right time gave me one of my best wildlife pics I've had so far.

I had been shooting 16-35/2.8 at ISO 800 trying for some silhouetted for some monuments at Phoenix Park (Dublin, IE) and had actually put everything away and was walking back to my motel. Movement ahead of me was a herd of deer crossing the path. I stopped and started shooting at the "long" end, but couldn't get much detail. I switched to 24-105/4 and got a little closer, when other pedestrians spooked them a bit.

I walked a little bit further and one started showing an interest in me. I had lost about 3 stops of light in the meantime and hadn't had a chance to crank the ISO up and didn't want to spook the deer (the velcro noise opening my Crumpler bag made me cringe). 24-105mm at about 60mm/f4 and ISO 2000 still only gave me 1/10sec shutter, but the deer was quite curious and calm trying to figure out what I was, so I managed to get the shot.

The Canon 5D2 high-ISO quality, plus IS gave me a shot that I don't think I could have come close to with any lesser equipment. A little polish with Lightroom gave me something that I really like.

It's not exactly comfortable, especially for long walks, but I generally carry the Crumpler with 16-35, 24-105, and 100-400 if I'm out walking since I don't know what I'm going to run into. In this case, the best camera actually was the one I was carrying with me.

May 25, 2012 at 02:27 AM
surfnron
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Up close with nature.

A nice shot. All you have to do is right click on the image you want to post, click on "Copy image location", and paste that here ~ Ron

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8018/7264317332_8577fd14ed_c.jpg

May 25, 2012 at 06:25 AM

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.