Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Another "how much to charge" thread. Exclusive,...

INNflight
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Another "how much to charge" thread. Exclusive, unlimited license.

Dear ladies and gents,

It's rare that I come looking for advice on pricing stock images, because I usually am quite aware of how much to charge my clients and if not, where to get a good idea on appropriate fees.
Still, this one is a bit tricky, and I would appreciate any input of yours on that matter a lot.

A client of mine (business aviation industry, well-known company) is currently re-doing their company website and approached me for suggestions re. their "signature" photograph.

I have previously licensed a few photographs to them, but mostly small stuff like for office decoration, newsletters,... you name it.
After giving them a good amount of suggestions their marketing manager today told me they will be going with a photograph they used previously and requested me quote for licensing it.

They want exclusive use and probably with no restrictions in terms of time (still waiting to hear back on that). I will not sell my copyright but just license the photograph to them.

Now, I understand while we were talking about their new website only so far, I assume (again waiting to hear back on that) with that being the new signature photograph, it will also have to appear on other things, like marketing materials, ads, trade show stands, etc...

So basically... can you give me any input re. pricing? I am aware we are talking a few grand here, but I am lost to pin down a number.

If it helps, it is a reasonably rare photograph of a jet, and actually not 100% photograph but more like a composite image. They are aware of that. It is not unique enough though as nobody could re-do something similar.

Thanks very much indeed!
BRGDS

May 22, 2012 at 05:14 PM
cineski
• • • •
p.1 #2 · Another "how much to charge" thread. Exclusive, unlimited license.

If they give you a time period it would obviously be better because once they're finished, you can then sell it to someone else. If no time period, you're basically giving them the copyright rather than licensing it to them in which case I would ask for low-mid 5 figures to give up an image like that.

May 25, 2012 at 10:08 PM
Micky Bill
• • • •
p.1 #3 · Another "how much to charge" thread. Exclusive, unlimited license.

There are a couple things to consider before giving a price.

When they or you say exclusive, what exactly do you mean. Is it exclusive to the airplane industry? Exclusive in US? North America and europe? Worldwide? Are you licensing exclusive unlimited use and time ( one step short of copyright xfer)
Is it an image that will look dated in a few years? Or is it timeless?
Will they make it a logo? Can you use it for your promotion?
What you can get for the image depends on your skillz and the size of the company and their understanding of licensing. Since they can't recreate something like it you have even more leverage.
I'd think the lowest would be about $10k with the ceiling maybe $15-20k but most companies other than fortune 500 types would think it absurd to pay that much to use a photo .
Did you look at any price guides?

May 26, 2012 at 02:00 AM
Mr Joe
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · Another "how much to charge" thread. Exclusive, unlimited license.

Run the same usage through Getty or other stock sites.
Maybe try Fotoquote or Blinkbid.

May 27, 2012 at 03:21 PM

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password