Weekly assignment 306: Overhead
Deadline: August 20th noon UTC/GMT

WA Rules ยท Current entries

FM Forums | Weekly Assignments | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · #502 "Can" you hear me?

Travis Rhoads
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · #502 "Can" you hear me?

Just a little play on words...reflections of the old in the new...this is the most high tech thing I own...smarter than my computer, and many times, smarter than me. Thanks for looking, good luck to everyone this week.

May 21, 2012 at 08:36 PM
twistedlim
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · #502 "Can" you hear me?

Can you hear me now? Nice shot Travis.

May 22, 2012 at 06:16 AM
Travis Rhoads
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · #502 "Can" you hear me?

I can! Thanks for commenting Rich.

May 22, 2012 at 06:37 AM
Klaus Priebe
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · #502 "Can" you hear me?

Travis,
Nicely done and you gotta love todays technology. I would be lost without mine.

May 22, 2012 at 09:44 AM
Travis Rhoads
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · #502 "Can" you hear me?

Klaus Priebe wrote:
Travis,
Nicely done and you gotta love todays technology. I would be lost without mine.

Thanks Klaus, yes, I would be lost and not know where I was supposed to be without my phone. Kinda sad really.

May 22, 2012 at 09:45 AM
mark fadely
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · #502 "Can" you hear me?

Well done Travis. This image makes you think, and that's a sign that it's a quality shot. You've done nicely with the DOF and technical sides of it too.

May 22, 2012 at 02:24 PM
Travis Rhoads
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · #502 "Can" you hear me?

mark fadely wrote:
Well done Travis. This image makes you think, and that's a sign that it's a quality shot. You've done nicely with the DOF and technical sides of it too.

Thanks Mark. I decided to stop down to get just enough detail in the cans in the background...din't want to just set it to 2.8 and phone it in!

May 22, 2012 at 02:26 PM
mark fadely
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · #502 "Can" you hear me?

, that's hilarious!

May 22, 2012 at 02:37 PM
birdied
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · #502 "Can" you hear me?

Very nice one Travis !

Birdie

May 22, 2012 at 03:16 PM
Travis Rhoads
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · #502 "Can" you hear me?

birdied wrote:
Very nice one Travis !

Birdie

Thanks Roberta.

May 22, 2012 at 03:18 PM
Tenn.Jer
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · #502 "Can" you hear me?

Good idea, Travis - and the execution is to your usual high standard, as well, right down to the reflection of the cans on the screen of the phone...
I don't think any of us make these entries with votes in mind, but you know almost every smile this produces will be one for the "Cans"!

Good Work.
Jerry

May 22, 2012 at 06:52 PM
Travis Rhoads
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · #502 "Can" you hear me?

Tenn.Jer wrote:
Good idea, Travis - and the execution is to your usual high standard, as well, right down to the reflection of the cans on the screen of the phone...
I don't think any of us make these entries with votes in mind, but you know almost every smile this produces will be one for the "Cans"!

Good Work.
Jerry

Thanks for taking the time to comment Jerry. Technical is my gig...I have to be so technical everyday at work...it carries over. When I learned photography, it was more from a technical aspect...the creative stuff was the other side of the brain...still not sure which side gets more attention...glad you like the image, and that it made you smile. While not shooting for votes, shooting for making someone smile, or reminding myself of something like being a kid playing with tin can phones...that is what I am after, a reaction, a feeling...if I can put that into something, then for me it works. Even if it is just a phone!

May 22, 2012 at 07:59 PM
James Markus
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · #502 "Can" you hear me?

I like your take on the assignment, Travis!

May 22, 2012 at 09:27 PM
Travis Rhoads
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · #502 "Can" you hear me?

James Markus wrote:
I like your take on the assignment, Travis!

Thanks James.

May 22, 2012 at 09:30 PM
Tenn.Jer
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · #502 "Can" you hear me?

Travis, the combination of technicality and imagination are what makes the WA's so enjoyable for me; on the one hand is everyone's very individualized interpretation of the topic, and on the other, the way they photographically communicate that idea, with all the equipment and technical knowledge they've gained in their various levels of experience...every week is a series of eye-openings, forehead slaps, wry smiles, laughs, and even sad nods (thanks again, Mr. Fadely ), so that it's a constant enlightening experience...can't get any better than that, anytime...If I'm going to offer my opinion (humbly, I'm just a "grasshopper" here, and age is irrelevant), I want to address both of those aspects, because the Work deserves it, and I don't think anyone here is just throwing up snapshots, no matter how good the idea is...

Of course, that's what all photography is about, really...

So, it works for me. "Even if it is just a phone!"

Jerry

May 22, 2012 at 09:43 PM
Travis Rhoads
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · #502 "Can" you hear me?

very insightful Jerry, you have a great way of looking at the WA, and your opinions and comments are well thought out, and appreciated by everyone I am sure.

So...what's next! It's Wednesday morning...my favorite weekday now!

May 23, 2012 at 05:59 AM
Matt Ward
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · #502 "Can" you hear me?

For me this image does not hold the most eye appeal, but it gets my vote since it holds to the theme so well and it is totally relevent.

Matt

May 24, 2012 at 07:26 AM
Travis Rhoads
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · #502 "Can" you hear me?

Matt Ward wrote:
For me this image does not hold the most eye appeal, but it gets my vote since it holds to the theme so well and it is totally relevent.

Matt

Thanks Matt. I will think about that more for the next one and see if I can get a little more eye appeal while sticking to the theme. For this one I wanted simple, seems it might have been too simple.

May 24, 2012 at 07:28 AM
44lefty
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · #502 "Can" you hear me?

Good idea, but just a bit off the mark; would be better if the reflection were as sharp as the i-phone.

Larry

May 28, 2012 at 11:45 PM
Travis Rhoads
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · #502 "Can" you hear me?

44lefty wrote:
Good idea, but just a bit off the mark; would be better if the reflection were as sharp as the i-phone.

Larry

With the DoF shallow as it was, getting the reflection sharp made the cans in the BG too clear...and its not an iPhone...

May 29, 2012 at 05:59 AM

FM Forums | Weekly Assignments | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.