Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2012 · My D800 is a backfocusing suckfest.

Nathan Padgett
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · My D800 is a backfocusing suckfest.

Just a word of caution for all of you looking for one of these. I got my camera brand new from a local store and I've used it sparingly as a second camera in two weddings. The first I had a lot of shots backfocused and became a little worried but blamed myself. I did a few test shots with a focus chart up close and all my lenses expect my 24mm where on target. Most of my D800 shots where with my 24 1.4 and 35 1.4. I figured I can shoot a little wider than I usually do and crop if needed. Anyway...I just shot another wedding and again it back focuses at least some nearly every time. To different degrees.

So after reading some other D800 horror stories online, I put mine back on a tripod and shoot some more test shots. Mine does seem to suffer from the "left side" autofocus problem but the center one sucks too....but not at close up. My focus issues seem to get worse with distance. Very frustrating. I used live view on a couple of shots and manually focused and the shots are dead on.

May 21, 2012 at 06:08 PM
snapsy
• • • •
p.1 #2 · My D800 is a backfocusing suckfest.

Love your thread title. Your symptoms sound like a good candidate for AF fine tune. Have you attempted it yet?

May 21, 2012 at 06:27 PM
Nathan Padgett
• • •
p.1 #3 · My D800 is a backfocusing suckfest.

All of these where shot with my 24-70mm. Full size jpegs.

D800 Centerpoint - backfocused

Live view - manual focus

[Close up - centerpoint

Left side autofocus - backfocused

May 21, 2012 at 06:31 PM
Nathan Padgett
• • •
p.1 #4 · My D800 is a backfocusing suckfest.

I did fine tune my 24 1.4 to where it seemed to focus well close up. But in real world application at distances and other than the center focal point. It still backfocused. I've never had to tune any of lenses with other cameras. I've never been a big believer in the auto fine tune but I'm sure it works for some.

May 21, 2012 at 06:34 PM
MikeW
• • •
p.1 #5 · My D800 is a backfocusing suckfest.

I find fine tuning damn hard on the D7000 with the higher megapixels with my siggy 85mm. With the D700 it is so much easier & it is just like ding! that is it. Where the D7000 is like...umm, I think it is right & you are forever changing it. I think the higher megapixels makes it very hard for fast primes.

You should be like 2.5 x the focal length away from the chart/focus point. I would try using a flat board with text to evaluate on rather than a ball.

May 21, 2012 at 06:47 PM
austin.grant
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · My D800 is a backfocusing suckfest.

Title made me literally choke on coffee... classic!

I'm using the Reikan FoCal software (Pro version) with my 5DII, and it has dramatically helped my "keeper" rate. I had backfocusing issues as well, and slightly different for each lens, but now it's a thing of the past.

I don't know how it functions with Nikon cameras, but I'm very impressed with how it worked on my setup.

May 21, 2012 at 06:49 PM
Nathan Padgett
• • •
p.1 #7 · My D800 is a backfocusing suckfest.

Here are the 100% crops:
Center focus point:

Live view with manual focus:

Center focus point at a closer distance:

Left focus point at close distance (if you didn't look at the full size - I placed a different ball where the left side focus point was and left the other on in place.)

Edited on May 21, 2012 at 06:54 PM · View previous versions

May 21, 2012 at 06:50 PM
derry1
• • •
p.1 #8 · My D800 is a backfocusing suckfest.

think the 800 will start showing many that for the best photos there is a reason that fine tune is on the bodies,,

even my lowly D300 needed adjustment to achieve max from my lens,, when I knew it was on the body I pulled my astronomy chart to test focus and resolution and found my lens needed the adjustments,, think many just never bothered and tried to correct in PP,,

Derry

May 21, 2012 at 06:51 PM
Nathan Padgett
• • •
p.1 #9 · My D800 is a backfocusing suckfest.

Derry,

But what distance do you do your fine tuning? And if it's a zoom, when what focal length?

May 21, 2012 at 06:55 PM
mshi
• • • •
p.1 #10 · My D800 is a backfocusing suckfest.

1.4G primes have tendency to require AF Fine Tune on most bodies, including D700/D3/D3s/D4/D800. I learned from Nikon that roughly 80% of those glasses need some kind of AF Fine Tune right out of box. Luckily, none of my 1.4G primes nor my zooms requires any AF Fine Tune on my D800/D800E. My suggestion is that you send in those glasses along with D800 for calibration. However, we're in a middle of busy wedding season so sending in all you glasses may not be an option. If that's case, exchange the camera if they do have stock; otherwise, return it and buy from somewhere else.

May 21, 2012 at 07:16 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Alan321
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · My D800 is a backfocusing suckfest.

Nathan Padgett wrote:
Derry,

But what distance do you do your fine tuning? And if it's a zoom, when what focal length?

The general advice is to do the focus tweaking at longer distances and focal lengths because errors are then likely to be less obvious at shorter distances. If you 'always' shoot at one distance or one focal length then use those for your fine tuning. However, it is an inherent problem that focus tuning allows only a single tweak to be applied to all focus distance and focal length combinations. To do it right needs a cleverer fine tuning system or a proper lens focus focus calibration by a suitably equipped technician.

- Alan

May 21, 2012 at 07:35 PM
utildayael
• •
p.1 #12 · My D800 is a backfocusing suckfest.

Sorry dude but this post is FUD. My D800 works just fine with a whole slew of lenses I've thrown at it. Sounds like you got a problematic one.

May 21, 2012 at 07:38 PM
AtomicPunk

p.1 #13 · My D800 is a backfocusing suckfest.

This is a very common problem with this camera. Although yours really appears to be out of whack because the focus at different distances. There are a lot (including mine) D800s out there that have a problem with the left side AF point. We taking single point shots my center is razor sharp, but when you use the left side AF point the shot is OOF. Common problem. The real problem is some people have had success sending it in for service and there are some where Nikon has basically told them they can't get it any better and there is a problem but they don't know how to fix it. In one case from today they had to send the persons camera back to Nikon to see what was wrong with it. Since this problem was reported very early on, Nikon has not corrected the issue if they don't know how to fix it. This means there are currently bodies that are sent out today with this problem. That is a problem in itself. Just keep on cranking them out even though some could have a problem. Greed is a killer. Lets hope this greed from Nikon doesn't backfire on them.

Here are my samples using my Nikon 24-70 2.8 with my D800.

D800 Samples

May 21, 2012 at 08:02 PM
AndreasE
• • •
p.1 #14 · My D800 is a backfocusing suckfest.

Nathan Padgett wrote:
Just a word of caution for all of you looking for one of these.

Too late. Got it already.
Here is a full size D800E image with the AFS 24mm/1.4G.
No AF finetuning whatsoever.

rgds,
Andy

May 21, 2012 at 08:58 PM
Mescalamba
• • • •
p.1 #15 · My D800 is a backfocusing suckfest.

You know why manufacturers started adding AF microadjustment to camera bodies?

To have good excuse why not fine tune them enough and to loose quality specs a bit more.

I will take it from other side (Canon), try any L lens on 1Ds, it will AF perfectly. Try it on lets say 7D.. and good luck with AF microadjust. 1DMKIV isnt much better btw. And I would seriously expect it to be 100% accurate as its "1D".

Its not about megapixels, its about laziness and cutting corners. I dont expect every manufacturer to be like Leica, but at least they could keep some standart at semi-pro and pro league (read full-frames).

May 21, 2012 at 09:24 PM
cohenfive
• • • •
p.1 #16 · My D800 is a backfocusing suckfest.

fwiw, of the series i like the third one the best....

good luck getting this squared away, sounds like nikon is working on it.

May 21, 2012 at 09:44 PM
AtomicPunk

p.1 #17 · My D800 is a backfocusing suckfest.

AndreasE wrote:
Too late. Got it already.
Here is a full size D800E image with the AFS 24mm/1.4G.
No AF finetuning whatsoever.

rgds,
Andy

Andy...have you tried single point auto focus yet with this lens? If not, try shooting the 24mm at 1.4 and only use the left most AF point. Let us know if your image is in focus.

Thanks

May 21, 2012 at 10:31 PM
AtomicPunk

p.1 #18 · My D800 is a backfocusing suckfest.

Mescalamba wrote:
You know why manufacturers started adding AF microadjustment to camera bodies?

To have good excuse why not fine tune them enough and to loose quality specs a bit more.

I will take it from other side (Canon), try any L lens on 1Ds, it will AF perfectly. Try it on lets say 7D.. and good luck with AF microadjust. 1DMKIV isnt much better btw. And I would seriously expect it to be 100% accurate as its "1D".

Its not about megapixels, its about laziness and cutting corners. I dont expect every manufacturer to be like Leica, but at least they could keep
...Show more

The only problem with the AF fine tune with the AF problem on the D800s is the center point is usually in focus, but the left AF points tend to be OOF. Adjusting the focus for the left side results in the rest of the focus points getting out of alignment.

But you are correct. So many companies, not just camera manufactures are taking short cuts these days. Almost everything that is released has issues. thats just unacceptable.

May 21, 2012 at 10:32 PM
cputeq
• • • •
p.1 #19 · My D800 is a backfocusing suckfest.

Hey, my $100 2-month old Keurig died this morning. Now that is something to cry over - I didn't get my morning coffee!! (in fact, my attempts to still get the coffee that morning were nothing but pathetic, but that's for another post).

Here's hoping your minor $3000 situation gets sorted out!
(seriously, here's hoping it does. Have you contacted Nikon for a return for service?)

May 21, 2012 at 10:59 PM
ecidi
• • • •
p.1 #20 · My D800 is a backfocusing suckfest.

cputeq wrote:
Hey, my $100 2-month old Keurig died this morning. Now that is something to cry over - I didn't get my morning coffee!! (in fact, my attempts to still get the coffee that morning were nothing but pathetic, but that's for another post).

Here's hoping your minor $3000 situation gets sorted out!
(seriously, here's hoping it does. Have you contacted Nikon for a return for service?)

And I thought I was the only one having problems with the KEURIG. I went through two keurigs already.

May 22, 2012 at 08:39 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password