Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · Leica X2..EVF or OVF

pokemon

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Leica X2..EVF or OVF

Hi everyone

I'm new here... and since I'm still deciding whether I should buy a Leica X2 with an EVF or an OVF I wanted to get some opinions to help me make the right decision. What would your choice be and why?
I was leaning towards an EVF simply because it gives more information and that could come in handy as i'm not an accomplished photographer yet! But the bright and clear OVF seems appealing too. So, I'm a bit confused...

Thanks in advance!

May 21, 2012 at 02:53 AM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Leica X2..EVF or OVF

The Fuji X100 is the answer which solves your dilemma. It offers the best of both plus what neither alone can do - OVF with info overlay such as histogram, etc. You can immediately switch in and out of either on the fly as well.

May 21, 2012 at 02:58 AM
pokemon

p.1 #3 · Leica X2..EVF or OVF

The X100 seems great but i liked the IQ of the X2 more...

May 21, 2012 at 03:03 AM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · Leica X2..EVF or OVF

Depending on your shooting situation, you will find that both an EVF (accurate framing, info feedback) and OVF(seeing what you are actually shooting with no delay) have their pluses and minuses so you will likely want to buy both with the X2 and switch back and forth.

May 21, 2012 at 03:25 AM
millsart
• • • •
p.1 #5 · Leica X2..EVF or OVF

pokemon wrote:
The X100 seems great but i liked the IQ of the X2 more...

I don't mean this to sound rude at all, but if you can't answer for yourself the question of an OVF vs EVF, then how can you say you liked the X2 IQ more ?

Have you shoot with one ? Or a X100 for that matter ?

You state yourself that your not an accomplished photographer, which is fine of course, but then how do you know which camera is better, and especially how to do you what your looking for in terms of IQ ?

I had a X1, and currently still have an X100 (in addition the XPro) and the X100 was every bit as good as the X1, with a faster lens. The X100 is really on par with the XPro as well, which surely is as good as the X2 is going to be.

Make no mistake, the X2 looks good, but does it really have a marked advantage over the X100 ? I don't think so.

It seems to be a big improvement in terms of AF over the X1 which is great, but it should be too, its a $2000 camera after all.

Add on the EVF and its a $2500 camera! OVF, which gives no shooting info is about a $300 accessory.

Or you could buy them both, $2800 camera with a f2.8 lens, vs a $1200 X100 with a faster f2.0 lens.

Is the X2 really going to have $1600 of IQ advantage over the X100, and more so, are you really going to be able to see it ?

May 21, 2012 at 06:09 AM
pokemon

p.1 #6 · Leica X2..EVF or OVF

if i like the image quality of the X1 X2 vs the X100 please don't take it personally...we are all entitled to our opinions. and yes i did own the x100 when it first came out. Its a great camera but i personally prefer IQ of the Leica, for me. I may not be as good a photographer as you and may not understand details as well as you but we all have our preferences in our limited knowledge too.

May 21, 2012 at 04:10 PM
joe88
• • • •
p.1 #7 · Leica X2..EVF or OVF

The answer depends on what you shoot. For me, the EVF for the X2 is probably more practical as you get 100% framing accuracy and also camera shooting info but there will be a slight delay on what you see and the resulting shot. It probably won't matter at all. The OVF will give you a nice clear view of the scene with full Depth of Field akin to the viewfinder on a rangefinder, but you will have to deal with parallax and inaccurate framing. No clear winner.

FYI, you are probably aware that Oly's VF-2 will work on the X2. You can also consider the CV 35mm metal finder instead of Leica's. The Oly VF-2 and CV 35mm finder combined is still cheaper than Leica's EVF for the X2.

The X100 viewfinder is a good solution and at less than 1/2 the price of an X2, seems like a bargain, but this thread is not about the X100.

May 21, 2012 at 08:53 PM
pokemon

p.1 #8 · Leica X2..EVF or OVF

thanks! i'm probably going to get the oly evf. And also the ovf if i find a good deal.

May 22, 2012 at 12:18 AM
ocean2059
• • •
p.1 #9 · Leica X2..EVF or OVF

I use an VC 35mm OVF on my X1 and I am pretty happy with it. Regarding the image quality, I much prefer the images taken by X1 than images taken by other APS-C compacts, including Ricoh GXR and Sony NEX-5N. But I have not used Fujifilm X100 though.

May 22, 2012 at 02:00 AM
pokemon

p.1 #10 · Leica X2..EVF or OVF

did you ever use a half case with your X1?

May 22, 2012 at 11:22 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

ocean2059
• • •
p.1 #11 · Leica X2..EVF or OVF

I don't use any half case. But for extended use, I put the Leica grip on the X1 which improves handling.

May 23, 2012 at 12:10 AM
contas
• • •
p.1 #12 · Leica X2..EVF or OVF

pokemon wrote:
did you ever use a half case with your X1?

I do and it helps to protect and enhance the appearance, you also need hoods , mine X1 :
I use Kodak 35-80mm VF, it can change the angle of view for distances
with Leica 35mm hood

with round ventilated hood

Edited on May 23, 2012 at 02:10 AM · View previous versions

May 23, 2012 at 12:50 AM
contas
• • •
p.1 #13 · Leica X2..EVF or OVF

Oh, I have to explain here how to attach the hoods to the camera as the
Leica X1/X2 have nowhere to do it.The X1/X2 original protruding mechanism in my eyes has many potential dangers, for better protection is enclose the moving lens in a tube, and at another end of that tube you can use for filters and hoods. You can get it and hoods on Ebay :
http://www.ebay.com/itm/FOR-LEICA-X-1-X1-49MM-ADAPTER-TUBE-LENS-CAP-/330593404089?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4cf8e704b9

May 23, 2012 at 01:30 AM
ocean2059
• • •
p.1 #14 · Leica X2..EVF or OVF

Thanks for the info on the lens tube. From your photo, the Summilux 35 ASPH v1 lens hood will fit onto the tube. Is this correct?

May 23, 2012 at 01:45 AM
contas
• • •
p.1 #15 · Leica X2..EVF or OVF

OK, Summilux 35 ASPH v1 lens hood has the same 49mm as the adapter tube and I had a mechanik did another ALU 3mm long 49mm diameter tube with outer cog to connect tube and hood.

May 23, 2012 at 01:58 AM
pokemon

p.1 #16 · Leica X2..EVF or OVF

thanks for the info

May 23, 2012 at 04:19 AM
pokemon

p.1 #17 · Leica X2..EVF or OVF

your half case is real nice

May 23, 2012 at 04:19 AM
contas
• • •
p.1 #18 · Leica X2..EVF or OVF

Thanks guys , the ever-ready leather half case is designed by GARIZ a korean, very neat piece, deserved to Leica cameras.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Gariz-Dark-Brown-Leather-Case-XS-CHX1MB-fr-Leica-X1-/280850915774?pt=US_Camera_Cases_Bags&hash=item416404e1be

May 23, 2012 at 08:08 AM
pokemon

p.1 #19 · Leica X2..EVF or OVF

i was thinking of getting the artisan and artist half case because it has a built in grip. will the X1 case fit the X2 or are there some minor differences in size etc?

May 23, 2012 at 02:40 PM
contas
• • •
p.1 #20 · Leica X2..EVF or OVF

pokemon wrote:
With built in grip. will the X1 case fit the X2 or are there some minor differences in size etc?

Leica X1 is a few millimetres smaller X2, but I think when it on sale GARIZ will design new for X2 right away.I myself don't like grip, I will keep it as tiny as possible.

May 24, 2012 at 01:53 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password