Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · Eclipse Photos - 2012-05-20

eaglewolf
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Eclipse Photos - 2012-05-20

Did anyone get a chance to see the eclipse today? I don't know how many people were in the area that it was visible, but here in Southern California I got to see a piece of it. Being that I live on the cost, June Gloom (the marine layer, or fog or low clouds as most people call it) was both a blessing and a curse for this. June Gloom starts before June and lasts beyond it as well, and was in full swing today. The marine layer cut down on the intensity to make it able to view the eclipse with some dark sunglasses, and using the camera cut down the glare even more.

I had never tried to photograph an eclipse before, so I just grabbed my D700 and 70-200 to see what I would get. After a few shots, I changed my mind and dug out the 600 f/4, tripod and Wimberly to get a little closer. I shot one photo hand-held with the 600 and quickly changed my mind.

The interesting thing is that the shots look like they are black and white. Honestly, it wasn't too far off the actual color since there wasn't that much contrasting sky with the clouds. I ended up using Program for the exposure, and set the focus on manual to avoid the hunting I was seeing in auto-focus. I will say that this told me I need to clean my sensor, as there were spots on both the 70-200 shots and the 600 shots. Or maybe I've got a bunch of dead pixels, but for now I'm hoping for a dirty sensor.

In any case, here is what I captured. Forgive me for not being up to the caliber that I often see posted in this forum, but maybe someone else can post some better shots if they have them. I was a bit nervous looking into the sun - even with the dark glasses and the marine layer.

Note that these are daytime shots, but I suspect the metering was compensating for the brightness of the sun. Probably not even close to being decent shots, but I was pleased that I got the chance to capture them just the same.

After this the marine layer changed and completely obscured the eclipse. The last shot shows it was taken at 6:33 PM, which is close to what my watch showed when I was no longer able to get anything worth shooting.

David

Edit: I just realized that I said I shot an eclipse of the sun in the daytime. So when did I think you would shoot the sun??!!?? At night?

May 20, 2012 at 09:46 PM
harshaj1
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Eclipse Photos - 2012-05-20

So cool.
I think you did great.
Harsha

May 20, 2012 at 10:08 PM
jonneyfletch
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Eclipse Photos - 2012-05-20

mad props! thanks for sharing. now go clean your sensor

May 20, 2012 at 10:12 PM
Jo Dilbeck
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Eclipse Photos - 2012-05-20

I haven't processed mine yet, but at least you got cloud layer. I got pretty much pure black and white only, but DID get to see and capture the full annular eclipse. Kinda boring in black and white, but at least I can say I did it! I'll be doing a composite of the images showing the full progression, will put it up when done!

Jo

May 20, 2012 at 10:18 PM
eaglewolf
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Eclipse Photos - 2012-05-20

I'll get on that sensor, though since it's getting late and I need to do a few things before I go to bed I'll probably do that tomorrow.

Here in Southern California we didn't get the full eclipse, but it was more than I expected after reading the comments on CNN. Then here in Oceanside the clouds obscured it before it was at its peak.

Still, I was pleased I got anything. I tried messing with the exposure a bit, but I felt the camera was doing better than I was since I was just guessing. This was something I had no experience with. I always wonder how people get those incredible photos with great color of an eclipse.

I'll be looking forward to seeing that full progression, Jo!

David

May 20, 2012 at 10:26 PM
brian_sp
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Eclipse Photos - 2012-05-20

great photos David, couldn't see through the rain here today

May 20, 2012 at 10:39 PM
KirkB
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Eclipse Photos - 2012-05-20

Great job on these David, very cool to see. I live in Yorba Linda so the marine layer wasn't a factor at all. I have a solar telescope and it was really cool to watch the event and it definitely got noticeably darker at max coverage.

Thanks for sharing your images.

Kirk

Edited on May 21, 2012 at 01:32 AM · View previous versions

May 20, 2012 at 10:40 PM
earthallen
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Eclipse Photos - 2012-05-20

Here's what I got in Albuquerque NM. D90 Quantaray 70-300 w/ circ polarizer (some no polarizer). First try on an eclipse, it was very cool.

http://gallery.me.com/earthallen/100461/DSC_3731/web.jpg

http://gallery.me.com/earthallen/100461/DSC_3753/web.jpg

A few more posted here: http://gallery.me.com/earthallen#100461&view=grid&bgcolor=black&sel=6
I'm not sure how to process these, if anyone has ideas, they are certainly welcome. I'm just glad I didn't miss it or burn my sensor. (I hope anyhow).

Dana

May 20, 2012 at 11:35 PM
eaglewolf
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Eclipse Photos - 2012-05-20

Those are some awesome photos, Dana! I don't have any filters for the 600, so I can't get any help there. Then too, considering the cloud cover I was shooting through I'm not sure it would have had the intended results. You get such clear days out there in Arizona. While it is beautiful weather, we get a lot of clouds near the coast in So. Cal.

David

May 21, 2012 at 12:05 AM
kmunroe
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Eclipse Photos - 2012-05-20

great shots Dana

May 21, 2012 at 03:57 AM
morris
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Eclipse Photos - 2012-05-20

I bet you had a blast watching this. Great job

Morris

May 21, 2012 at 06:11 AM
birdied
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Eclipse Photos - 2012-05-20

Great shots David and Dana!

May 21, 2012 at 08:13 AM
earthallen
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Eclipse Photos - 2012-05-20

Thanks for the compliments everyone. I really enjoyed taking the photos.

I'm really liking the burning tree effect from the second one.

If anyone has thoughts on processing for a more intense visual effect, I'd love to hear them. I thought about cropping, but it didn't do much for the image with the crops I looked at.

Dana

May 21, 2012 at 12:36 PM
Conrad Tan
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Eclipse Photos - 2012-05-20

Pretty damn good guys!! Mine turned out like doo doo...

May 21, 2012 at 01:12 PM
eaglewolf
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Eclipse Photos - 2012-05-20

I too appreciate the feedback. I was very pleased with the results, though Dana's shots were incredible. We just didn't get that kind of color here in Oceanside.

I did learn something else through this. I may be a wimp, but the 600 (AF-S Version I, ~ 13 lbs) is not a good lens for hand holding. Thank goodness I had my tripod setup easy to get to or I would have completely missed this. I had to go back into the house for the 600, and then again to drag out the tripod and head.

I took one shot hand held and then asked my wife to act as my tripod - she said absolutely not. She puts up with me and my equipment purchases, but that was asking too much!

I guess I'll have to make a really nice framed and matted print of one of these shots to make up for that one!

David

May 21, 2012 at 11:02 PM
DonGut
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Eclipse Photos - 2012-05-20

Very fine work! Don

May 21, 2012 at 11:49 PM
Chris Noyes
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Eclipse Photos - 2012-05-20

I got back home yesterday afternoon and didn't get a chance to process any of images until late last evening . . . in any event, here's what I got in Page, Arizona using my Nikon D700 and 200-400 VR 1 lens, TC-17E II teleconverter (650 mm), and Baader Astrosolar filter. 100% crops

Yes, those are sunspots

The first two images here were taken when the sun was still pretty high in the sky . . . not down toward the horizon where the pollution/dust layer and greater atmospheric affects alter the color, even with the Baader filter in use.

A passing airplane and contrail initially had me thinking something had happened to the camera.

Sunset over the Vermillion cliffs/Pariah Plateau

Oh, heck, one more . . . had to put in a shot of the Ring of Fire . . . (colored to match what I saw at sunset)

May 22, 2012 at 10:31 PM
eaglewolf
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Eclipse Photos - 2012-05-20

Actually, that plane with the contrail makes you look twice at the photo! In my case it was just a dirty sensor. Nice shots, Chris. Arizona and New Mexico look like they were great places to view this from.

David

May 23, 2012 at 09:44 PM
Chris Noyes
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Eclipse Photos - 2012-05-20

I always enjoy myself up in Page, the scenery is just incredible and I always find something new or interesting to photograph. A few weeks ago, I would not have thought about going to Page to see an eclipse, but what a place it turned out to be for just that reason! Weather was perfect, and everyone present from my vantage point of the eclipse noticed the temperature drop shortly after the eclipse began. Our normally clear and distinct shadows became "blurry" and the lighting got pretty eery, though not dark between the 2nd and 3rd contact. All I can say is that this was another unique experience for me and Page was a great place to be to experience it.

Now it's time to get ready for the Venus Transit on June 5th . . . my Baader Astrosolar filter will get some more use before mothballing until 2017 for the next North American eclipse.

May 23, 2012 at 11:56 PM
Focus Locus
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Eclipse Photos - 2012-05-20

I don't see dirty sensors. I see sun spots. I saw the same spots looking through every telescope and lens with the resolving power to reveal them at the university viewing party held on the red line of the path cut through the western states.

May 25, 2012 at 10:37 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.