Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines
One new topic per day

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Places to stop in between Spokane WA, and Glacier Natl Pa...

Sankar Salvady

Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Places to stop in between Spokane WA, and Glacier Natl Park MT

Hello everyone,

I will be driving from Spokane WA to Glacier through Idaho and wanted to know if there are any good attractions on the way that I should check out. I am from California, and have never been to this side of US. I am not particular about taking the shortest route, a detour is fine with me too

Will appreciate any suggestions, thank you

May 19, 2012 at 07:57 AM
stanparker
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · Places to stop in between Spokane WA, and Glacier Natl Park MT

I'm sure you can find some good landscapes around Couer d'Alene Lake. Old Mission State Park is worth a stop and a few shots. The National Bison Range is a good driving tour and not too far off route. Flathead Lake might also offer some scenery. The church in St Ignatius has a very unusual and beautiful interior.

As an alternative route, forget the interstate and drive US 2. It is overall more scenic and passes beautiful Lake Pend Oreille. Near Libby, MT is Kootenai Falls, well worth a stop and some hiking.

May 19, 2012 at 10:24 AM
rjb6893
• • •
p.1 #3 · Places to stop in between Spokane WA, and Glacier Natl Park MT

If you're into biking, consider the Hiawatha Rail Trail just east of Wallace ID. History, great engineering, and some nice scenery at your own pace - worth a half day of pedaling.
Regards, Ron

May 19, 2012 at 01:36 PM
ben egbert
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · Places to stop in between Spokane WA, and Glacier Natl Park MT

as a former long time Spokane resident, I can offer a few ideas. Stan's suggestion to go north to Bonners Ferry and then across is a good one.

1. If you have the time, spend a day and go south into the Palouse. Palouse Falls and Steptoe Butte are a couple destinations.

2. Drive up the Coeur d' Alene River road. The paved road follows the river some 70 miles north from the turn off from I90 near the Cataldo Mission.

3. The drive east from Coeur d' Alene almost to Deer Lodge Montana is a nearly continuous forest and is nice in its own right.

4. If you drive over from Bonners Ferry check out Kootneais falls. and the Yack River

If you click my SmugMug icon, go to landscapes and look at Idaho, Washington and Palouse galleries for some idea of the types of scenery you can find.

May 19, 2012 at 01:39 PM
Sankar Salvady

p.1 #5 · Places to stop in between Spokane WA, and Glacier Natl Park MT

Stan, RJB6893, Ben

Thanks a bunch for your suggestions. I can definitely get off the freeway and take local roads towards Kalispell. Will try to look up the places you suggested and accommodate them in my route

@Ben. Thanks for directing me to your smugmug. You have some lovely collection there

May 19, 2012 at 05:09 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password