Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Another 'What is an appropriate license fee' thread

MagicNikon
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Another 'What is an appropriate license fee' thread

I am not a professional photographer. I do an occasional wedding, etc.... but I do not make my living doing this.

I like to shoot photos at a local botanical garden, and post them online for review, etc. I sometimes post them on the gardens Facebook page as well. My photos are amateurish, but fun for me and they show a small amount of technical ability and thought in compostion.

I was contacted this week by an employee of the architects office that designed their orchid conservatory. She wanted an HDR photo I made of their Orchid Conservatory to use on their website. I was told there was no money available. I explained that I couldn't devalue commercial photography, and I simply wouldn't be able to just allow them to use it for free. The lady understood my position and thanked me for my time.

I got an email this morning from someone else from the same firm asking to license the same image for use on a postcard that would be going out to 1000 members of the American Public Garden Association. They want to showcase this particular project to prospective clients I guess.

I explained that commercial photography is forbidden without permission from the garden administration and I couldn't give her an answer unless I was told it was okay to sell this photo. I also explained that since I had no intention of selling the photo, I made no effort to do a good job anyway, and that better examples must be available somewhere. She asked if I would like to see the postcard mock-up utilizing my photo. So.....

Assuming I can get permission to sell this crummy photo, I don't know what I should charge for it.

Again, they specifically asked for usage for 1000 postcards to go out to a professional association in order to promote this project.

Thanks for your time and consideration on this matter.

-Joshua

May 18, 2012 at 02:45 PM
sorpa
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Another 'What is an appropriate license fee' thread

Make sure you have the agreement to use the picture commercially in writing.

May 18, 2012 at 03:45 PM

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password