Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Loch Arkaig - 1st go at Layer blending

redmonkee
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Loch Arkaig - 1st go at Layer blending

Hi guys

i've recently posted a lot of samples of HDR work done in Photomatix. I'm fairly new to HDR so still trying to find the right balance with all the sliders. I think i'm slowly getting there, but a few people have suggested manually blending the images to give the greater dynamic range and more natural looking effect.

Anyway after a good couple of hours playing with various luminosity masks and alpha channels I managed this from 9 bracketed shots. I know it's not perfect but for a first go i'm fairly happy with it and love the control I have over the final image.

Would love to know your thoughts

May 18, 2012 at 01:51 PM
parsons
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Loch Arkaig - 1st go at Layer blending

this much better than the others, though still dont know why you neede 9 images? thats probably why it still looks flat with lack of contrast. also, if you did see my link form your other post, be sure to check out how to beat the dreaded lens flare.

simon

May 18, 2012 at 01:55 PM
redmonkee
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Loch Arkaig - 1st go at Layer blending

Hi Simon

Thanks for the comment and for the other link. I've not checked it out yet as i've been busy playing with this image. I'll check it out tonight though.

Don't know why I used 9 images, probably to keep as much detail as i could but you're right i've probably lost a bit of the contrast and 'pop' in doing so. Still this image may look better when I run it back through LR4 and the clarity sliders

May 18, 2012 at 01:58 PM
ben egbert
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Loch Arkaig - 1st go at Layer blending

I agree, if you need more than 3 layers (2 usually works) it probably means the DR was so large that a believable image is not going to happen.

I need to find that flare avoidance link.

May 18, 2012 at 02:02 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

parsons
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Loch Arkaig - 1st go at Layer blending

this one http://sussexlandscapephotography.co.uk/remove_lens_flare.html

May 18, 2012 at 02:27 PM
ben egbert
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Loch Arkaig - 1st go at Layer blending

Thanks I have used my finger to do this, need to make a tool. Good tip. Good stuff in your blend tutorials. They don't format properly in Google Chrome, but appear fine in IE.

May 18, 2012 at 02:34 PM
dsjtecserv
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Loch Arkaig - 1st go at Layer blending

That's very nice, especially for a first shot at manual blending. It took me a lot more tries to get that far. I agree with the other about the low contrast and the lack of need for 9 images. I normally shoot three images bracketed 1 1/3 to 2 stops apart and find they contain all the information needed to blend most scenes. In a small number of cases, especially where the sun itself is included, I'll take a second set of three at +/- 2 stops, with the central exposure offset -3 stops from the first set. That produces a total of 6 exposures: -5, -3, -2, -1, 0 and +2. I'll use the 0, +2 and the -1 or -2 shots for the main blending, and the -3 or -5 shot for very selective blending of the super-highlights; thus I use four of the six and disregard the others. But as Ben pointed out, it is difficult to do this and still have the sun and other super-highlights included with color and detail, without looking unnatural.

To reduce the amount of manual blending, I usually create a base image using bracketed images as input for an exposure fusion process (I use TuFuse Pro, but Photomatix also has that), and then manually blend one or more of the bracketed exposures as layers over the base image, with a light touch as necessary to bring in anything the exposure fusion didn't.

Dave

May 18, 2012 at 03:56 PM
David Patterson
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Loch Arkaig - 1st go at Layer blending

parsons wrote:
this much better than the others, though still dont know why you neede 9 images? thats probably why it still looks flat with lack of contrast. also, if you did see my link form your other post, be sure to check out how to beat the dreaded lens flare.

simon

+1. I like where you're going with the manual blending. It does give so much more control over the process, and if "more realistic" is what you are going for, it will probably give you better results. Nice photography by the way

May 18, 2012 at 07:36 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password