Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Trying for more realistic looking HDR

redmonkee
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Trying for more realistic looking HDR

Just running a few of my scotland images through Photomatix again and thought i'd go for a more natural looking style of processing.

What do you think are they working?

1. Loch Arkaig

2. Loch Hourn

4. Glen Orchy

May 16, 2012 at 11:39 PM
AndrewThomas
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Trying for more realistic looking HDR

These are looking much better, but they still have a heaviness about them that seems unreal to me...but it may be what you are after, or it may have actually been like this at the time! Have you tried putting photomatix away and just processing normally? I would really like to see another go at that first image from your last post, that image to me is the best of all your recent postings - just my opinion, of course!
cheers Andrew

May 16, 2012 at 11:48 PM
Johan_E
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Trying for more realistic looking HDR

Looks good. Photomatix can be tough to get right sometimes. These look well controlled.

May 16, 2012 at 11:54 PM
Mitchell Derr
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Trying for more realistic looking HDR

Redmonkee...these are nice shots in terms of subject and composition, etc. The processing doesn't work for me, but rarely does something ran through PM.

Edited on May 17, 2012 at 02:30 PM · View previous versions

May 16, 2012 at 11:57 PM
Cloudbow
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Trying for more realistic looking HDR

These are much more natural than the first batch. The least natural of these, to my eye, is 3. Those foreground items, especially. The most natural looking one, especially as compared to your first try, is #4. Very nice. #2 also is fairly natural, except maybe for the excessive detail in the grasses.

Good job!

Bev

May 17, 2012 at 02:18 AM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Trying for more realistic looking HDR

These are more natural, but if you are looking for natural looking shots, then why are you even trying HDR? While HDR can produce a realistic looking shot, I think in general when it happens the person doing it adjusted all the sliders with their eyes closed, so afterwards there is no way for the person to share what it was they did...

#1 and 4 are my favorites. Besides the still weird colors, the softness that is so throughout the shots because of the HDR processing really drags the shots down. I would love to see #1 and 4 just processed normally...

Jim

May 17, 2012 at 07:14 AM
JameelH
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Trying for more realistic looking HDR

In addition to what Jim said, I'd also try and clone out the flares esp. the one near the horizon on #1. On first glance it appears like a big piece of dust.

May 17, 2012 at 07:38 AM
redmonkee
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Trying for more realistic looking HDR

Well glad they are looking more natural guys

epiphini wrote:
Redmonkee...these are nice shots in terms of subject and composition, etc. The processing doesn't work for me, but rarely does something ran through PM. If you are into images that capture a lot of dynamic range, I would recommend looking into Kuyper's action and hand blending these shots. Much more natural, much more specific in terms of the tonalities you can control. People won't ask you if they are HDR because they won't have "that look". I like what you are doing with your choice of subjects though.

Regards,

Mitch

Cheers for the recommendation on Kuypers actions i'll deffo look that up

May 17, 2012 at 08:38 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

redmonkee
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Trying for more realistic looking HDR

JimFox wrote:
These are more natural, but if you are looking for natural looking shots, then why are you even trying HDR? While HDR can produce a realistic looking shot, I think in general when it happens the person doing it adjusted all the sliders with their eyes closed, so afterwards there is no way for the person to share what it was they did...

#1 and 4 are my favorites. Besides the still weird colors, the softness that is so throughout the shots because of the HDR processing really drags the shots down. I would love to see #1 and 4
...Show more

I'm trying HDR cos the image in 1 was no way achievable with the gear I currently have. I don't have any grad filters and with the scene being so beautiful I figured i'd bracket and develop the image later at home.

Also like it or not I think HDR has a way of bringing detail in which otherwise would be lost.
I think with HDR it just depends on which side of the fence you sit, some love it some not.

Jim I think the softness is due to how i've exported the image for web. On my screen at home they look plenty sharp in LR4

May 17, 2012 at 08:41 AM
Henga
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Trying for more realistic looking HDR

redmonkee wrote:
Cheers for the recommendation on Kuypers actions i'll deffo look that up

Otherwise, you can give the exposure blending mode included in Photomatix a try for a more natural look.
But yeah, I also highly recommend you Kuyper's actions. I personally use them and they just work perfectly. Once you master them, they turn out to be a great time saver as well. I used to spend more than 30min on a photo for a mediocre result just because I didn't know how to process the images. Now that I use Kuyper's action, I spend 5 or 10 minutes (maximum) depending on the photo. The post-processing is simpler and the result better. What more can we ask?

#1 and 4 are nice btw.

Arnaud

May 17, 2012 at 04:55 PM
helenica
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Trying for more realistic looking HDR

The first looks really nice and the third not too bad. The other two are still a bit on the heavy side, but much nicer that the shots in that other thread.

May 17, 2012 at 06:05 PM
chez
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Trying for more realistic looking HDR

I suggest leaving out the word HDR from your description and let the images stand on their own. Mentioning HDR puts the HDR police on full alert in this forum.

Oh, I like no. 3 followed by 4.

May 17, 2012 at 06:11 PM
helenica
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Trying for more realistic looking HDR

The first looks really nice and the third not too bad. The other two are still a bit on the heavy side, but much nicer that the shots in that other thread.

Helen

May 17, 2012 at 06:15 PM
othfilm
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Trying for more realistic looking HDR

helenica wrote:

Agreed, if you hadn't titled the thread HDR, the first one would be hard. The others have some of the tell-tale signs though

May 17, 2012 at 06:18 PM
David Patterson
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Trying for more realistic looking HDR

chez wrote:
I suggest leaving out the word HDR from your description and let the images stand on their own. Mentioning HDR puts the HDR police on full alert in this forum.

Oh, I like no. 3 followed by 4.

Since the OP titled his thread "Trying for more realistic looking HDR" - I figured it was OK to comment on that aspect. Somehow I don't think leaving out the letters HDR would have anyone believing that some of these were a result of anything but HDR. You can spot most Photomatrix HDRs anywhere... they're dirty.

I like the composition of these photographs, especially the second and the last. But when it comes to blending for dynamic range, there's just something not right about the muddiness created, especially in the foregrounds where there should be deeper shadows.

In #1, the reflection is brighter than the sky - this does not look natural. Maybe bring the exposure of the foreground down a little to create amore natural look.

In the foreground of #2, it looks like someone squished their thumb all over a newly inked and still wet print. The sky seems pretty natural looking, but the foreground exhibits that Photomatrix tone-mapped look that screams HDR.

In #3, the foreground again is brighter than the sky/mountain... draws attention in a way that it shouldn't. If going for a more natural look, from the middle of the scene back to the chain and the buoy, it would be OK to allow this to be slightly darker.

In #4, this is the most natural looking exposure of the four photographs, though the hillside and foreground again are slightly too bright to look totally natural.

You've got some nice compositions to work with, and while there's nothing wrong with HDR images in this vein - if that is what you are going for - if looking to present more natural looking scenes in which the dynamic range is challenging, then as Jim suggested, I'd consider ditching Photomatrix and doing simple blends by hand.

May 17, 2012 at 06:53 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password