Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Wide angle advice needed for upcoming shoot inside a vehicle

Nozzleforward
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Wide angle advice needed for upcoming shoot inside a vehicle

I've got a shoot coming up soon that will take place primarily inside a fire engine. I will be shooting two people at a time sitting on opposite sides of the cab in the back seats(An area about 9-10 feet wide), and some with the front seats with the vehicle parked. I have attached a picture of the rear interior of a similar rig that I will be shooting in to give you an idea of the space / layout I have to work with. The idea behind this shoot is to capture the atmosphere inside a fire engine responding to a call (I have several scenarios written up for this already).

What I'm looking to use is a wide angle along the lines of a 14mm or a 20mm, maybe a 16-35 or 17-40, shot on my 5D. I will have to rent a lens for this project because the widest I have currently is a 24mm. I've taken some test shots with my 24mm and it's a little narrow, I'm thinking that an extra 5mm or so will do the trick. Max aperature isn't a huge issue because I will be shooting in decent light for most of it, and the stuff that involves low light (night time w/interior lighting) can be shot with longer shutter speeds (we won't be moving and I have a tripod / clamp option). Has anyone had any experience with shooting something similar and if so, how was the distortion? Was it something that was correctible in post?

May 16, 2012 at 10:17 PM
Hammy
• • • •
p.1 #2 · Wide angle advice needed for upcoming shoot inside a vehicle

Why not take multiple photos and stitch them? No additional gear to rent, just some time in CS or buy a cheap third party pano program. Also, without a crazy wide lens, you won't have to worry about distortion.

It's not like the firemen are interacting with a fire at the moment of the photo where you need the whole frame in a stop action moment - they're not even going to be in each individual frame. Take pix of thirds (or more) of the back of the cab, stitch them together and it should look great.

This might also allow you do work on some HDR to get the inside of the cab exposure as well as outside the window.

May 17, 2012 at 05:04 PM
Nozzleforward
• • •
p.1 #3 · Wide angle advice needed for upcoming shoot inside a vehicle

Have any advice on a good stitching program? I use Lightroom now, and don't have any experience with HDR or stitching photos.

May 17, 2012 at 06:04 PM
Sneakyracer
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · Wide angle advice needed for upcoming shoot inside a vehicle

Hi, I would forget about stitching. It is somewhat easy when the subject is far away and nothing moves. With the subject up close it is a nightmare since the lens has to rotate perfectly around its precise nodal point and everything must be still and the light even or it won't look good. Plus with people its highly not advisable since you will need to direct them to have the right pose and expression.

Get the 14mm and 16-35mm (17-40) its best to have options. Be prepared to level the camera and mount it inside.

May 17, 2012 at 06:45 PM
Hammy
• • • •
p.1 #5 · Wide angle advice needed for upcoming shoot inside a vehicle

I agree there are helpful tidbits that can make stitching easier - like rotation around the nodal point to avoid parallax error. But todays stitching programs are quite capable of correcting alot of that. Again, with the seats that far apart, shooting two people won't be that hard, and everything else in between won't be moving.

I've been using PTGui for years - from a couple dozen images to a few hundred - mostly of groups of people (up to 1000 people). It's a free download to try. If you have access to the backseat of a car, try it out. If it doesn't work out, rent a lens.

May 17, 2012 at 09:02 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

jefferies1
• • • •
p.1 #6 · Wide angle advice needed for upcoming shoot inside a vehicle

Download the free version of Serif Panorama Plus starter edition. The paid version is really cheap but did not work for me and I got a refund the next day.Tech told me it was made a different than original and harder to use for many. Not much of a upgrade.
I also use Microsoft ICE which is free. Using both I get different results. One might curve a straight line and the other does not. Just have to try as it varies with each image.

May 18, 2012 at 03:35 PM
Nozzleforward
• • •
p.1 #7 · Wide angle advice needed for upcoming shoot inside a vehicle

Copy that, I'll download it tomorrow when I'm home. Thanks!

May 18, 2012 at 04:19 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · Wide angle advice needed for upcoming shoot inside a vehicle

I've been checking the reviews on the Tokina 16-28 (some report edging out the Nikon for distortion correction) ... seems to be better on the wide end than the long end (resolution), but some reports have suggested that they can be de-centered.

For a rental ... you might call www.lensrentals.com (or rental of your choosing) and ask them specifically if their copy of the 16-28 has any decentering issues (which they likey would have already weeded out any such copies).

Food for thought.

+1 Stitching wides (in close perspective) is not for the faint of heart ... I've tried to master it, can't even get 'freakin close'. Best to let the glass do the heavy lifting on this one ... pp for any distortion correction in post. Way easier than trying to stitch WA @ close distances.

I've been using my 17-35 Tamron for some interior work this week. Even @ 'budget glass' the distortion is not too bad to correct in pp. It's achilles heel seems to be "fringing" @ max wide. My Oly 18/3.5 has the excellent distortion correction ... but it vignettes a bit much for some applications. WA/UWA's always have a "weak spot" ... pick your poison.

GL ... be sure and show us what you come up with.

May 18, 2012 at 11:49 PM
infocusinc
• •
p.1 #9 · Wide angle advice needed for upcoming shoot inside a vehicle

Sigma 12-24. Nothing else like it and I use it on almost every shoot. I shoot confined space interiors...Boat cabins, RV's etc. Ever seen the head in a cabin cruiser? Its a phone booth.

May 20, 2012 at 08:53 PM

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password