Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · The big picture

ben egbert
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · The big picture

Yesterday I showed my sunrise shots from Silver Lake Flats. They were shot at 50 and 70mm which is about right for making Mt Timpanogos the prominent subject.

But as I was doing so, a great scene unfolded along the rest of the Wasatch bordering the water. So I did one with my 17TSE and another as an 11 shot pano using my 70-200 at 70mm vertical.

In hind sight, the 50 would have been a better choice as the 70 cut off part of the right side view.

Both techniques cause some perspective distortion with the 17 spreading the edges and the 70 compressing them. The truth is between the two presentations.

Silver Lake 17mm

Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III    TS-E17mm f/4L lens    17mm    f/8.0    1/13s    100 ISO    +1.3 EV  

Silver Lake 11 stitch pano

Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III    EF70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM lens    70mm    f/2.8    1/200s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

May 16, 2012 at 02:36 PM
TripleYYY
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · The big picture

Ben these are both lovely. The second one really stands out.

Y

May 16, 2012 at 02:55 PM
Zeph
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · The big picture

I like the color/mood of the first, but the crop/comp of the second....

May 16, 2012 at 02:55 PM
scraptag
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · The big picture

Gorgeous. Your processing is perfect. What program do you use, and how do you get such perfect color?

May 16, 2012 at 03:21 PM
ben egbert
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · The big picture

Thanks Zeph and Y, glad you like them, I lean to the 17mm but its good to hear other views. Maybe next time I will try my 24 which would give the same scene as the pano.

Forgot to mention, I was doing other shots with the 70-200, when I wanted to do the pano. I quickly went to manual to make sure all images were exposed the same, and dialed in exposure with the little wheel on top just like I do in AV mode. Rats, I ended up at f2.8 and only saw it when I got home.

But a large stitch like this covers up small IQ issues.

May 16, 2012 at 03:34 PM
ben egbert
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · The big picture

scraptag wrote:
Gorgeous. Your processing is perfect. What program do you use, and how do you get such perfect color?

Well the processing is pretty simple. The 17 for example is a two image blend. But I was able to use the bright image for everything but the sky and the top of the mountains so Painting in the darker sky and mountain tops was pretty easy. No filters used and the light was not that difficult to manage.

I get all my sharpening (other than a final one after downsize) in ACR. I use a wee bit of shadow highlight in Photoshop, a curves adjustment with attention to black point and add a wee bit of saturation with Topaz Color pop. I always go back and make sure I have a good black point when finished. This makes a lot of difference when DR has been worked.

The pano was only hard because it takes a long time to stitch 11 images. I had to save and reboot to free up some memory after it was stitched and made a half size for final processing.

But the exposure needed little help. I did have to clone in some sky and water to get a decent crop. It shows on full size. A print would need more work,

May 16, 2012 at 03:43 PM
HiredGoon
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · The big picture

Great shots, Ben.

I prefer the first image as it really captures the colours that we saw on the range to our right as the sun came out.

May 16, 2012 at 03:48 PM
ben egbert
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · The big picture

HiredGoon wrote:
Great shots, Ben.

I prefer the first image as it really captures the colours that we saw on the range to our right as the sun came out.

It does, and I think I like it better than the 50 and 70 I showed yesterday. I was wondering if I could get further east and back from the lake a bit and do this with a 24. Bring a chain saw and clean up the bank a bit?

The one I did of that right edge with a 35mm looks all scrunched up. I saw some clouds this moring, might have been a better day.

May 16, 2012 at 03:53 PM
Camperjim
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · The big picture

Both are great. The color and reflection are better in the first, but I like the somewhat tighter crop of the second. Nitpicking. Both are great.

May 16, 2012 at 04:26 PM
gordon l
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · The big picture

That first shot is really nice. The glow on the mountains make it my choice.
gordon

May 16, 2012 at 04:41 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

ben egbert
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · The big picture

Thanks Jim and Gordon, looks like a pretty even split on preferences. Color competing with composition.

The stitch was 11 images, but I had to toss out the last two on the right because they cut off too much top and bottom. Otherwise it would have the same stuff as the 17mm shot.

May 16, 2012 at 05:42 PM
joeyvu
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · The big picture

Nice images, Ben...Would be nice if we can combine both...They looks awsome...

May 16, 2012 at 05:52 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · The big picture

Hey Ben,

I like the tighter view of #2 here, though the glow in #1 is pretty nice. Maybe a bit too much sky in #1?

Jim

May 16, 2012 at 05:53 PM
Johan_E
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · The big picture

I like the abstract look of the first one. Very cool! Keep it up.

May 16, 2012 at 06:22 PM
helenica
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · The big picture

Nice shots Ben. I prefer the cropped version.

May 16, 2012 at 07:54 PM
SierraLover

p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · The big picture

Nice Ben. My only quibble is that both photo's are being cut in half by the shore line.

May 16, 2012 at 08:00 PM
ben egbert
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · The big picture

JimFox wrote:
Hey Ben,

I like the tighter view of #2 here, though the glow in #1 is pretty nice. Maybe a bit too much sky in #1?

Jim

Hi Jim, thanks for the comment and you are right on the first one and I even thought of this before posting.

I level the camera and compose after choosing the appropriate lens. Being a 17TSE, I could have shifted it down, but that might have gotten my tripod legs :-) In the full size you can see the rocks in the shallow water at my feet. That leaves just the sky to work with. I did crop it to a 16x9 ratio (one of my frame sizes and took it all off the sky. UWA often provide too much foreground and sky.

Sounds pretty mechanical, I should crop per aesthetic value rather than to fit a frame I have. And perhaps I would. Or maybe I should crop it more like the second one which is preferred, or maybe even use a different lens. One advantage of zooms is better composition.

May 16, 2012 at 08:04 PM
ben egbert
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · The big picture

joeyvu wrote:
Nice images, Ben...Would be nice if we can combine both...They looks awsome...

Thanks, and I can crop to the second look but of course with some different perspective. I may do that later and post it.

May 16, 2012 at 08:06 PM
ben egbert
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · The big picture

Johan_E wrote:
I like the abstract look of the first one. Very cool! Keep it up.

Glad you like it, my favorite too although we seem in the minority.

May 16, 2012 at 08:06 PM
ben egbert
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · The big picture

helenica wrote:
Nice shots Ben. I prefer the cropped version.

Thanks, another vote for the tighter look.

May 16, 2012 at 08:07 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password