Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Artist's Palette - Death Valley

Timmeh
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Artist's Palette - Death Valley

Here's a first attempt at HDRing an early April sunset at Artist's Palette in Death Valley (that's more capitalization than I'm used to in a sentence). I just used what I hope was precise masking in PS. C&C welcome.

May 16, 2012 at 06:18 AM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · Artist's Palette - Death Valley

A pretty nice first attempt at HDR. It doesn't look overdone at all. Myself, I probably would have done a bit more around the sun, not to take away from the sun being hot, but the area burnt out above the actual sun itself, I would have pulled that detail back in from those thin clouds. But that's me, so take that with a grain of salt.

Jim

May 16, 2012 at 07:03 AM
ifaynshteyn
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · Artist's Palette - Death Valley

A well composed and very natural-looking HDR. I think you found the perfect balance between detail and realism.

May 16, 2012 at 07:17 AM
David Patterson
• • • •
p.1 #4 · Artist's Palette - Death Valley

ifaynshteyn wrote:
A well composed and very natural-looking HDR. I think you found the perfect balance between detail and realism.

+1. Nicely done indeed. We don't often see photographs from Artist's Palette that "work" compositionally, but yours certainly does.

May 16, 2012 at 11:04 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

gordon l
• • • •
p.1 #5 · Artist's Palette - Death Valley

I like it. Works well.

Gordon

May 16, 2012 at 06:34 PM
Timmeh
• • •
p.1 #6 · Artist's Palette - Death Valley

Thanks for the comments Jim, Ilya, David, and Gordon!

JimFox wrote:
Myself, I probably would have done a bit more around the sun, not to take away from the sun being hot, but the area burnt out above the actual sun itself, I would have pulled that detail back in from those thin clouds. But that's me, so take that with a grain of salt.

Jim

I tried to pull a little bit more detail out of the highlights using some curves and recovery. I may have made it a bit more artificial looking though...

May 17, 2012 at 03:56 AM
Bill Belvin

p.1 #7 · Artist's Palette - Death Valley

Fantastic shot, best I've seen of Artists Palette.

May 17, 2012 at 12:47 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password