Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Canyonlands Upheaval Dome

Camperjim
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Canyonlands Upheaval Dome

The Upheaval Dome is a major attraction in Canyonlands NP. It is also a very unusual geological feature of the park and is well visited.

Well visited, but not well photographed. I did a search for FM landscapes and did not find a single entry. I did some additional searches of the bazillion images on the photo sharing sites and also found very little.

The Upheaval Dome is sort of a dome, I guess. Mainly it is a massive caldera type hole with some uplifted features in the middle. Shooting down into a hole does not make for easy photography. The ideal magic hour light is just likely to result in some muddy shadows. Anyway it was blazing bright today as I tried to come up with something of interest and appeal. I did not have much success. Please add your own great images or at least suggestions on how to photograph this feature.

Canyonlands Upheaval Dome

Upheaval Dome Closeup

Upheaval Dome Closeup #2

May 16, 2012 at 04:52 AM
Chiefdog72
• •
p.1 #2 · Canyonlands Upheaval Dome

Iíve been there many times.......Your shots look better than anything I was able to get. It will be interesting to see if any one here has taken photos of it.

Apparently it has been determined it is actually a meteorite crater vs. an uplifting.

http://geology.utah.gov/surveynotes/geosights/upheaval_dome.htm

May 16, 2012 at 05:12 AM
katzung1
• • •
p.1 #3 · Canyonlands Upheaval Dome

Great shots! Color and sharpness are perfect; not overcooked.
Bert

May 16, 2012 at 05:20 AM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · Canyonlands Upheaval Dome

Hey Jim,

I have shot it before. For me, you have to have the right weather... some clouds to soften the light, you need a few more shadows, right now the shot actually feels very flat without any depth to it because of the lack of shadows. And the last thing that you won't want to hear... but it looks a bit crunchy to me, a bit too sharp...

Your composition in #1 is pretty nice, I like how you laid it out with some shrubs in the foreground, but it's feeling too flat to me. As you probably discovered, there is a reason that there is not many good shots of it. It is a hard area to shoot.

Jim

May 16, 2012 at 07:00 AM
HiredGoon
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · Canyonlands Upheaval Dome

Camperjim wrote:
The Upheaval Dome is a major attraction in Canyonlands NP. It is also a very unusual geological feature of the park and is well visited.

I've been to Canyonlands three times in the last two months and didn't make it to Upheaval Dome at all. Maybe next time

May 16, 2012 at 02:15 PM
camerausername
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · Canyonlands Upheaval Dome

edit

Edited on May 16, 2012 at 06:56 PM · View previous versions

May 16, 2012 at 02:19 PM
Camperjim
• • •
p.1 #7 · Canyonlands Upheaval Dome

I guess I do agree that side lighting would have helped. I am not sure I like this area well enough to give it another try earlier or later in the day. I will probably try my hand at the iconic sunrise shot at Mesa Arch so maybe afterwards I could try Upheaval again.

It seems I have one vote for natural, appropriate sharpening and one for crunchy. These look really crunchy to me so I am adding one more version with very minimal sharpening. Now I suppose it will look soft.

Upheaval Dome Closeup with Very Minimal Sharpening

May 16, 2012 at 03:46 PM
ben egbert
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · Canyonlands Upheaval Dome

Camperjim wrote:
I guess I do agree that side lighting would have helped. I am not sure I like this area well enough to give it another try earlier or later in the day. I will probably try my hand at the iconic sunrise shot at Mesa Arch so maybe afterwards I could try Upheaval again.

It seems I have one vote for natural, appropriate sharpening and one for crunchy. These look really crunchy to me so I am adding one more version with very minimal sharpening. Now I suppose it will look soft.

This is one of the best processed images I have seen from you.

May 16, 2012 at 03:49 PM
Camperjim
• • •
p.1 #9 · Canyonlands Upheaval Dome

camerausername: thanks for your image. I like it better than any of mine. I hiked part way around the Syncline Trail but did not see that I was going to find any better view areas. It is a long way around and not easy hiking.

Chiefdog: thanks for the update on the geology. At first glance this looked to be volcanic, but no sign of volcanic rocks. It it is a meteor crater, lots else has happened in the intervening eons.

May 16, 2012 at 03:53 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

ryanpfleger
• •
p.1 #10 · Canyonlands Upheaval Dome

I like camerausername's take. Maybe you could get down in there so you are showing the rocks against some complimentary sky?

May 16, 2012 at 03:53 PM
Camperjim
• • •
p.1 #11 · Canyonlands Upheaval Dome

ryanpfleger, I would be willing to watch you try. Note the crater walls, there does not appear to be any route to get down inside or at least no way to get back out again.

Ben, The second version processing looks right on my monitor. When I was processing minimally, I constantly got comments about softness in the images.

May 16, 2012 at 04:32 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · Canyonlands Upheaval Dome

Camperjim wrote:
ryanpfleger, I would be willing to watch you try. Note the crater walls, there does not appear to be any route to get down inside or at least no way to get back out again.

Ben, The second version processing looks right on my monitor. When I was processing minimally, I constantly got comments about softness in the images.

Jim, this last shot you posted looks good as far as sharpness goes.

One thing to remember, often no two shots are the same. So minimal processing on one shot may be perfect, but on another shot, minimal processing may not be enough. Same with extra sharpening.... with one image, it may need extra sharpening to look right, but then on another the extra sharpening will look crunchy...

Just curious, are you able to tell the difference when you are processing? Is there an issue with your eyesight where maybe it's hard for you to pick out the fine detail? I know for me though, that sometimes I can work on a shot so much that I can get blind if you will to it... Often I will process a shot, but then wait till the next day to finalize it so that I come to it with a fresh pair of eyes.

Jim

May 16, 2012 at 04:54 PM
ben egbert
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · Canyonlands Upheaval Dome

Camperjim wrote:

Hi Jim, this image has fine sharp edges which is as good as it gets. I think a lot of post processing is used to fix capture issues. One is to try to fix out of focus or lens softness. The other is to try to get micro contrast that does not exist in the original.

For me, if the original lacks either, it is a non starter. The basic image needs to be sharp, and the micro contrast, which with any decent lens is a product of light angle and subject can not really be made whole in post processing. It just ends up with some pop at a distance but looks crunchy and fine detail has been eaten up in the process.

I have been finding some of my very best lenses produce softness that is hard to understand. I get super sharp near, far and mid ground with soft on just one side. I have concluded it is either the light angle or flare. The same lens works just fine at another angle a few minutes later.

My son in law and I were doing a great blue heron using my truck as a blind. Neither of us could get a sharp image (500f4 here, 400 f5.6 for him) until we moved to a different location with less glare on the water. Then we could not miss. I am convinced something like this is happening on WA. By the way, never shoot over the hood of a vehicle. The heat rising will ruin the shot.

May 16, 2012 at 05:08 PM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · Canyonlands Upheaval Dome

The light looks too flat for my tastes, not to say it isn't right for yours. But that particular location needs either a morning or evening shot to make it pop with full color and contrast. When the shadows are long...

I know I repeatedly say that with your shots but I'm feeling you aren't maximizing the potential you have at you're disposal right now while you are in Utah. Other parts of the country, like in a forest in Washington or Oregon it may not be as important. But here, as the sun gets overhead, all color and contrast washes away.

Regarding hiking, there is a trail down into the crater, but it's an 11 mile rocky round trip. Not for everyman... Particularly as the temperatures start hitting 100 f. in parts of the desert now. Although going down is easy...

Where next? I recommend Grand Mesa and/or Colorado National Monument for cooler temperatures.

May 16, 2012 at 05:19 PM
Jeffrey
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · Canyonlands Upheaval Dome

Interesting natural feature, but the lighting was not in your favor, and the processing needs to be redone.

May 16, 2012 at 05:37 PM
Camperjim
• • •
p.1 #16 · Canyonlands Upheaval Dome

ckcarr, did my memory play a trick? What happened to the neat image you posted?

I am sure you are correct about minimizing the available potential. I am working on improving but it seems a slow process.

Thanks for the travel suggestions. I am not sure where I am heading next. The temps are rising and I only have a short time left before heading North or to higher elevations. If I have an additional couple of weeks before being cooked out, I am going to visit Needles overlook, then probably Valley of the Gods, maybe Monument Valley, and surely Moki Dugway and Muley Point.

Edited on May 16, 2012 at 06:01 PM · View previous versions

May 16, 2012 at 05:50 PM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · Canyonlands Upheaval Dome

You should go down to the Valley of the gods for the eclipse on the 20th... It is in the range of relevance for viewing. See alichty's post.

I just posted a picture of mine for a joke with an alien spacecraft coming out of the crater. But I removed it as traditionally it is poor form and internet etiquette to post another picture in someone's thread without first requesting the original poster's permission.

May 16, 2012 at 06:00 PM
Camperjim
• • •
p.1 #18 · Canyonlands Upheaval Dome

You certainly have my permission. I thought it started with a nice image of the dome and I also like the humor.

May 16, 2012 at 06:02 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password