Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · CNN Money wants to use a photo of mine

Nowhere Man
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · CNN Money wants to use a photo of mine

A reporter with CNN Money contacted one of my clients asking to use two photos of mine in some project they are putting together on the economy.

Then my client contacted me asking me and asked if they can send CNN Money two photos of mine, or if I would like to speak with the representative directly.

Anyone know if this is a 'sell' situation and if so, are there common rates for this type of thing? I know they will buy video footage for various rates depending, but I've not heard of them buying individual photos other than from stock websites for their articles and such. I assume this is for print or web use, but I guess it could be for television use as well but I doubt it.

Any thoughts?

May 15, 2012 at 06:09 PM
colinm
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · CNN Money wants to use a photo of mine

This is a sell (license) situation. They may try to tell you otherwise, but they're trying to get something for nothing if they do. Stock photos are paid for, wire service photos are paid for, photos from independent photographers are paid for.

May 15, 2012 at 06:36 PM
Nowhere Man
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · CNN Money wants to use a photo of mine

Thanks. Good to know they pay something. I'm not expecting a lot, and I'm definitely not expecting some usage fee based on number of impressions or anything like that. Hopefully I can turn some kind of profit for my troubles.

May 15, 2012 at 08:05 PM
tcphoto
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · CNN Money wants to use a photo of mine

It's all about how long the images will appear on screen and their importance to the program. I would also ask if the program will be rebroadcasted or posted on their website. Ask about their budget and do not feel pressured to commit to a fee on the spot, check resources like Getty, Alamy or other Agencies then get it in writing.

May 15, 2012 at 10:20 PM
Nowhere Man
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · CNN Money wants to use a photo of mine

Update:

So I contacted them. A girl answered the phone. I got the sense she's an intern.

Her: She asked for a photo of mine that they want to use.

Me: I inquired what kind of shot they are looking for and what they were going to be used for, as I have a few 1000 to choose from.

Her: She described to me what they wanted then asked if I could send them a high-res shot.

Me: I asked her what their normal going rates are for shots.

Her: She paused for a second and mentioned that her photo editor would know more about that, but before going into detail, she cut herself off and said that they normally buy their photos from getty and when dealing with local city and downtown organizations, they always just send us the photo for free.

Me: I kindly reminded her that I'm not a public organization and instead a small business person.

Her: She said that it would be uncharted territory for them to have to buy the photo.

Me: I verified with her that she said her photo editor would have more information.

Her: She said yes.

Me: I said, great, just have him send me all the details in an email and I'll be glad to respond quickly and work with you to get you the photo you need.

Me: She took my email address, said thanks and hung up.

Can't win them all.

May 16, 2012 at 05:18 PM
Ho1972
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · CNN Money wants to use a photo of mine

Nowhere Man wrote:
Her: She said that it would be uncharted territory for them to have to buy the photo.

And that would be the quote that defines the business of photography as it relates to publishing.

I was approached last weekend at the IMS (Indy) by a gent with a British accent saying he was with X magazine and that they were "always looking for pictures". It took an exchange of less than a dozen words before I wished him well and turned away.

May 16, 2012 at 06:00 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Nowhere Man
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · CNN Money wants to use a photo of mine

Update 2:

CNN contacted my client again after my conversation. She thanked them for their time and will be looking or another suck...I mean source.

Oh well. I didn't watch their programming anyway.

May 16, 2012 at 06:31 PM
Trevorma
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · CNN Money wants to use a photo of mine

It's funny that they don't hesitate to get free photos yet expect to be paid for their work.

Well done holding your ground!!! If more people did it the industry would be in better shape, or the CNN's of the world would be publishing cell phone pictures

May 16, 2012 at 06:39 PM
Nowhere Man
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · CNN Money wants to use a photo of mine

Thanks Trevorma. I appreciate that coming from a fellow photog.

I think it would have looked especially bad since my client (the one CNN originally contacted) actually paid me to capture all of the images. How would that look in their eyes? That would just be bad business in my opinion. But of course I chose to stand my ground on principal too that a major for-profit media corporation should be willing to tell me to my face they are willing to pay Getty for images but not me. I laugh. Onward to my next shoot!

May 16, 2012 at 06:47 PM
TBannor
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · CNN Money wants to use a photo of mine

Well, you probably wouldn't have made much anyway. Back in the '90s five seconds of air time could get you $300-$400 per image. One of my images was on The View back then. Today, you're lucky to get about a tenth of that. One of my agencies just licensed an image for cable and broadcast TV for $37.50. And, of course, I get half.

Still, thanks for standing your ground. It would be much better for all of us if everybody did.

May 16, 2012 at 09:00 PM
mdude85
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · CNN Money wants to use a photo of mine

Trevorma wrote:
Well done holding your ground!!! If more people did it the industry would be in better shape, or the CNN's of the world would be publishing cell phone pictures

Sadly they already do.

May 17, 2012 at 03:02 PM

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password