Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Pano view of the Machine Falls location

cpoole
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Pano view of the Machine Falls location

So as not to violate rules on posted panos, and because the pano I have is too large for the site, here is a link to a downloadable JPG showing the entire scene around the falls.

https://www.box.com/s/dc8bde527560d65294d5

And, to an earlier question, the falls face about 260 degrees, WSW.

May 14, 2012 at 04:39 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Pano view of the Machine Falls location

Hey Christopher,

That is a very cool pano. I really like how you let the shadow areas stay dark, though retain detail. What size is it? It doesn't seem like it would be too big. On pano's it doesn't matter how wide they are, we just try to keep the vertical height from making a viewer from having to scroll.

Jim

May 14, 2012 at 05:29 PM
David Patterson
• • • •
p.1 #3 · Pano view of the Machine Falls location

Awesome pano... just right for this scene. Feels like the viewer is deep in the woods

May 14, 2012 at 05:38 PM
cpoole
• •
p.1 #4 · Pano view of the Machine Falls location

JimFox wrote:
Hey Christopher,

That is a very cool pano. I really like how you let the shadow areas stay dark, though retain detail. What size is it? It doesn't seem like it would be too big. On pano's it doesn't matter how wide they are, we just try to keep the vertical height from making a viewer from having to scroll.

Jim

Jim,

The size is 3292W x 1145H, but the bigger issue is the file size at 1.4Mb. I would have had to reduce it to the point that the detail in the shadows might have been lost to a degree.

May 14, 2012 at 05:39 PM
cpoole
• •
p.1 #5 · Pano view of the Machine Falls location

David Patterson wrote:
Awesome pano... just right for this scene. Feels like the viewer is deep in the woods

David - more like hidden in the woods. Once there, you are down in this grotto (is the best way I know to describe it) and you are surrounded on all sides by steep embankments or cliffs and caves. The only open section is where we came into the area - pictured here.

May 14, 2012 at 06:16 PM
Travis Rhoads
• • • •
p.1 #6 · Pano view of the Machine Falls location

I like the pano, but might be tempted to end it just past the fallen tree on the left, the greenery ends at that point and there is less interest in the face of the wall.

May 14, 2012 at 06:28 PM
cpoole
• •
p.1 #7 · Pano view of the Machine Falls location

Travis - totally agree. The pano was done more to show the setting of the location than as a stand-alone photo itself. I got a bunch of questions about what the site was like around the falls.

May 14, 2012 at 06:36 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

nburwell
• • • •
p.1 #8 · Pano view of the Machine Falls location

I like it! I especially like the darkness of the photo. Very well executed!

-Nick

May 14, 2012 at 07:17 PM
Ruahrc
• • •
p.1 #9 · Pano view of the Machine Falls location

You could remove some off the left I agree, but honestly I would not remove too much as I fear taking too much off the left would unbalance the composition of the waterfall flowing "into" the center of the image. Perhaps you can try applying a subtle GND effect, vertically oriented and slightly increasing the exposure on the

I'm curious if the image could use a slight rotation clockwise though. It feels to me like the waterfall is leaning to the left slightly (look at the thin streaks of dripping water, they seem to be leaning slightly to the left), and as a result the photo looks a little "precarious".

Norman

May 14, 2012 at 10:39 PM
Colin Giersberg
• • • •
p.1 #10 · Pano view of the Machine Falls location

Hey Chris. I notice that you are closer to the right bank of the creek. When you left the parking area and got on the trail, did you go left or right at the first fork in the trail, and if the left fork, did that take you to the falls as well, and allow you to get to the spot for your shot, or did you just cross over near the edge of the lower falls and then climb down?
When I went there yesterday, I stayed to the right at the fork, came down the steep hill to the rock shelter, and then down from there. There is a spot in your photo just above the lower falls where you see what looks like a path falling down the bank. This is how I got to the top of the lower falls. However, not wanting to get my feet wet, let alone all of me and my camera gear, and just flat out not trusting the stepping stones conveniently placed across this same spot, I decided to stay dry. Also, my knees have some issues, so the thought of a fall on top of the lower falls did not appeal to me, and the fact that I was the only person there made me decide to err on the safe side.. Otherwise, the falls are beautiful and I plan on going back soon.
I still really dig your shot and the others you added. Beautifully done.

Regards, Colin

May 16, 2012 at 10:20 PM
cpoole
• •
p.1 #11 · Pano view of the Machine Falls location

Colin,

The photo above is looking out from the site, toward how we came in.

Later this evening, I will post a map showing the exact trail that we took to go into the area and I will also include a couple of shots done by iPhone showing the last section of the trail, especially the part where we had to walk on slick rocks in the creek.

May 16, 2012 at 11:25 PM
cpoole
• •
p.1 #12 · Pano view of the Machine Falls location

OK Colin, here you go (as well as anyone else who might want this).

First, the map of the area marked to show the correct route. Stay on the white blaze trail marked by the arrows. Just before you get to the point marked "wooden bridge", the downhill is quite steep with some so-called steps you almost have to climb down. At the bottom of the hill, go to the right, not across the wooden bridge. The falls are about 100 yards into a grotto-like area. But..., that last 100 yards is much fun. The red arrows show where you get to do the rock-hopping.

There are two iPhone snapshots I took going into the area. The first shot shows the trial dropping off out of site. That is because it does. : )

The second iPhone snapshot shows the beginning of the last 100 yards before the falls and the rocks that become the trail, because there is no trail on the right side of the creek. The sidewall is very slick and sloped almost 45 degrees. Try to walk on that and you are guaranteed to get wet, so definitely use the rocks in the creek. But be careful because they are slick also.

Hope this helps...
Chris

Notated Machine Falls Trail Map

Start of the downhill on the trail

Start of the last 100 yards to the falls

May 17, 2012 at 03:45 AM
Colin Giersberg
• • • •
p.1 #13 · Pano view of the Machine Falls location

Thanks Chris. That helps a lot. Where you went left at the fork, I went right. Getting down to the falls itself on this route is just as fun for about the same distance, but you are closer to the falls when you reach the bottom.

May 17, 2012 at 04:05 AM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password