Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · Pre-dawn in Acadia

David Patterson
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Pre-dawn in Acadia

Saturday morning pre-dawn on Schoodic Peninsula in Acadia National Park, Maine. Some big surf kept me from getting too close to the shore. I'm getting more and more intrigued by black and white conversions. C and C appreciated.

http://storiesfromhome.files.wordpress.com/2012/05/5-12-12-schoodic-1-bw-small.jpg

http://storiesfromhome.files.wordpress.com/2012/05/5-12-12-schoodic-3-bw-small.jpg

May 13, 2012 at 11:59 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Pre-dawn in Acadia

Hey David,

I do really like your B&W conversions. Very nice job here, the tonality is great. What makes your B&W work for me, is you have definite black areas in the shot. You have Black, gray and white, not just a shades of gray conversion. I think I prefer #1 as my favorite, but #2 is also very nice.

Jim

May 14, 2012 at 01:45 AM
Scott Kroeker
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Pre-dawn in Acadia

Loving the conversions. Very nice!

May 14, 2012 at 01:55 AM
David Patterson
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Pre-dawn in Acadia

JimFox wrote:
Hey David,

I do really like your B&W conversions. Very nice job here, the tonality is great. What makes your B&W work for me, is you have definite black areas in the shot. You have Black, gray and white, not just a shades of gray conversion. I think I prefer #1 as my favorite, but #2 is also very nice.

Jim

Thanks Jim. Seems like I've just discovered this world of black and white... am very intrigued by it.

May 14, 2012 at 06:50 AM
David Patterson
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Pre-dawn in Acadia

Scott Kroeker wrote:
Loving the conversions. Very nice!

Thanks Scott. I appreciate the kind words.

May 14, 2012 at 06:50 AM
Travis Rhoads
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Pre-dawn in Acadia

I love the conversions, the foreground texture in #1 is really great, but the textures and water movement in #2 wins for me.

May 14, 2012 at 07:00 AM
David Patterson
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Pre-dawn in Acadia

Travis Rhoads wrote:
I love the conversions, the foreground texture in #1 is really great, but the textures and water movement in #2 wins for me.

Thanks Travis. You wouldn't think it because of the long exposures, but there was some serious surf rocking the coastline as I made these.

May 14, 2012 at 08:06 AM
Travis Rhoads
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Pre-dawn in Acadia

The second conveys that more to me, I think that is one of the things I like about it over #1.

May 14, 2012 at 08:07 AM
TripleYYY
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Pre-dawn in Acadia

Hi David. These are very nice. I have been doing black and white photography for years and am well known for my prints. My b&w landscapes and b&w flowers are my biggest sales.

These look great. What makes a b&w really jump off the page is to have all the tones from black to white. There is a scale to follow when doing this. Silver efex has this scale and is very easy to use. This scale is also available in books and on the internet. Of course this is subjective and not all images require all the tones. But most landscapes look better with all the tones.

Y

May 14, 2012 at 09:07 AM
astro-ep
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Pre-dawn in Acadia

Excellent shots, David. Love the high contrast, depth and detail.

Eric

May 14, 2012 at 09:13 AM
Mitchell Derr
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Pre-dawn in Acadia

Very nice. BW can be tricky and I think you did a fine job.

May 14, 2012 at 09:55 AM
Jimmy D
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Pre-dawn in Acadia

Very nice set David!

Love your B&W renditions... Acadia is on my list of must visit locations

Jim

May 14, 2012 at 09:57 AM
David Patterson
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Pre-dawn in Acadia

TripleYYY wrote:
Hi David. These are very nice. I have been doing black and white photography for years and am well known for my prints. My b&w landscapes and b&w flowers are my biggest sales.

These look great. What makes a b&w really jump off the page is to have all the tones from black to white. There is a scale to follow when doing this. Silver efex has this scale and is very easy to use. This scale is also available in books and on the internet. Of course this is subjective and not all images require all the tones. But most
...Show more

Thanks Jennifer. I am using Silver Efex in the workflow, and love the control it gives over parts of the photograph, both small and large. I always find it interesting to "see" what tones are included in each scene, and I have to admit I am hooked.

May 14, 2012 at 10:01 AM
David Patterson
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Pre-dawn in Acadia

Excellent shots, David. Love the high contrast, depth and detail.

Thanks Eric. I am really liking the higher contrast scenes, though sometimes I have to pause, step back and re-assess the direction and depth to which I am processing.

epiphini wrote:
Very nice. BW can be tricky and I think you did a fine job.

Thanks for the kind words.

May 14, 2012 at 10:04 AM
Travis Rhoads
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Pre-dawn in Acadia

Silver Efex has been the one piece of Nik Software that I really want to add to my workflow...interesting to hear about the features it has.

David Patterson
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Pre-dawn in Acadia

Jimmy D wrote:
Very nice set David!

Love your B&W renditions... Acadia is on my list of must visit locations

Jim

Thanks Jim. I'm biased of course cos I live close, but Acadia is a pretty special place, and definitely worth a visit.

cpoole
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Pre-dawn in Acadia

David,

Love it! You are getting the same type luminosity I was after at the falls this past weekend. Different scene and lighting direction but great results here.

Chris

May 14, 2012 at 12:28 PM
David Patterson
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Pre-dawn in Acadia

Travis Rhoads wrote:
Silver Efex has been the one piece of Nik Software that I really want to add to my workflow...interesting to hear about the features it has.

Travis... nice thing is you can download a 2-week fully functional free trial. I sometimes feel as though I am cheating - since I haven't ever physically set foot in a darkroom - but even so, I am definitely hooked on trying to creatively develop in black and white.

May 14, 2012 at 12:36 PM
David Patterson
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Pre-dawn in Acadia

cpoole wrote:
David,

Love it! You are getting the same type luminosity I was after at the falls this past weekend. Different scene and lighting direction but great results here.

Chris

Thanks Chris... awesome waterfall photographs you have been sharing lately!

May 14, 2012 at 12:36 PM
Callisto
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Pre-dawn in Acadia

David,
Super B & W shots - very impressive. - RC

May 14, 2012 at 04:22 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.