Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Scottish castles and lochs

redmonkee
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Scottish castles and lochs

Well after a busy couple of weeks i've finally managed to go through some of my shots from the Scottish Highlands.

I went with my girlfriend in the back end of April, we stayed at a delightful place called the Calhaig Inn in the heart of Glencoe and in the process of capturing this beautiful landscape on Camera I managed to pop the question and in the process returned to England with my beautiful FiancÚ

A truly memorable trip for several reasons and can't wait to re visit this stunning country.

Here's a few of what I've managed to process so far. I'd love any comments or critique as to how these could be improved

1. Killchurn Castle

3. Tioram Castle

4. Loch Arkaig

5. Eilean Donan Castle

6. Shot taken just after I proposed :thumbs:

May 14, 2012 at 12:38 AM
Matt Tilghman
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Scottish castles and lochs

1 is absolutely incredible. Really like the effect you got out of the HDR, even though I usually dont. One thing, though, is that the HDR has made the castle itself a little soft/fuzzy. It really needs to be tack sharp. I'd create a new layer of just the castle, taken from a single shot, and mask it over the current version. Its a nit, but it would turn an already incredible photo into an award-winning photo.

Oh, and congrats!!

May 14, 2012 at 12:42 AM
ben egbert
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Scottish castles and lochs

I like this series, especially 4&5.

May 14, 2012 at 12:47 AM
astro-ep
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Scottish castles and lochs

Love the mood and composition of #1.

Eric

May 14, 2012 at 01:38 AM
cpoole
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Scottish castles and lochs

4 & 6 for me.

I especially love the lighting quality you got on #4. Was this blended or did you use HDR software for this?

May 14, 2012 at 04:09 AM
fixedgearmike
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Scottish castles and lochs

1 and 6 are great, but is number 1 quite straight? the castle looks like it's tilting slightly to the right.. 3 and 5 are a bit over-done for me.

number 6 is excellent. Did she say yes?

May 14, 2012 at 07:04 AM
redmonkee
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Scottish castles and lochs

Matt Tilghman wrote:
1 is absolutely incredible. Really like the effect you got out of the HDR, even though I usually dont. One thing, though, is that the HDR has made the castle itself a little soft/fuzzy. It really needs to be tack sharp. I'd create a new layer of just the castle, taken from a single shot, and mask it over the current version. Its a nit, but it would turn an already incredible photo into an award-winning photo.

Oh, and congrats!!

Thanks Matt, glad you like the image. Must say it's one of my favourite photos

Thanks for the suggestion for sharpening up the castle. I may have to try this tonight.

Cheers
Phil

May 14, 2012 at 08:23 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

redmonkee
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Scottish castles and lochs

Cheers for the comments guys.

cpoole wrote:
4 & 6 for me.

I especially love the lighting quality you got on #4. Was this blended or did you use HDR software for this?

I used Photomatix Pro to blend 7 or 9 exposures together (can't remember how many) each at 1stop increments.

May 14, 2012 at 08:25 AM
redmonkee
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Scottish castles and lochs

fixedgearmike wrote:
1 and 6 are great, but is number 1 quite straight? the castle looks like it's tilting slightly to the right.. 3 and 5 are a bit over-done for me.

number 6 is excellent. Did she say yes?

Yep she said yes which makes the last photo extra special for me.

You might be right about the castle in 1, I may need to straighten a little.
As for 3 & 5 yeah i'm in two minds over the processing on these. May try another play and see what I can come up with.

May 14, 2012 at 08:27 AM
TripleYYY
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Scottish castles and lochs

The sky in #1 and #2 is amazing.

Y

May 14, 2012 at 03:00 PM
nrferguson
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Scottish castles and lochs

Horizon definitely out in No.1 and possibly a trifle in No.2 Agree about fuzzy castle and in No.5 the castle is definitely leaning to the right (and just possibly slightly in No.6) Overall though, I like the effect
Niall Ferguson

May 14, 2012 at 03:23 PM
redmonkee
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Scottish castles and lochs

nrferguson wrote:
Horizon definitely out in No.1 and possibly a trifle in No.2 Agree about fuzzy castle and in No.5 the castle is definitely leaning to the right (and just possibly slightly in No.6) Overall though, I like the effect
Niall Ferguson

Thanks Neil

the more I look at no.1 the more I can't believe how I missed the sloping horizon. Think I must sit with my head tilted like Forrest Gump

Will try to make sure I get them level in future

May 14, 2012 at 04:27 PM
RangerRick

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Scottish castles and lochs

Congratulations on the pictures and the "yes".

May 16, 2012 at 05:11 PM
MysticPix43
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Scottish castles and lochs

I love the mood of these--especially 1 & 6. In #1 you can almost hear the witches of Macbeth stirring the pot and saying, "Fair is foul; foul is fair. Hover through the fog and filthy air."

May 17, 2012 at 03:06 AM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password