Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Superstitions, midday; edited version

dsjtecserv
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Superstitions, midday; edited version

In my previous posts of sunset shots I mentioned that I hiked the creekbeds of LaBarge Creek and Boulder Canyon during the day in between. The sky was clear and the light harsh, so I didn't expect any "wow" pictures. But the 100-200 foot canyon walls and spires and contrast with backlit vegetation and blue sky were still pretty interesting, so I decided to process one. I have a few more of different scenes in the canyons; I'd be interested in opinions on whether they are worth processing.

Edit: Below is a version with the sunlit rocks in the middle ground darkened about 3/4 of a smidgen, as suggested by Jim Fox. On my monitor this is just a little more subdued than I would choose, but on some monitors it may work better.

Dave

Edited on May 15, 2012 at 01:29 AM · View previous versions

May 13, 2012 at 06:32 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Superstitions, midday; edited version

Hey Dave,

For midday, this one looks pretty nice. It's definitely a cool area to be shooting in. I think if you could tone down just a bit more the highlights here, it will look pretty good. I would just use Color Range, and select just the highlights, and pull them down a hair, most of them seem to be in the brown tones, so just use a slight warming photo filter applied to them too so that the highlights don't look gray when you recover them.

Jim

May 14, 2012 at 06:59 AM
dsjtecserv
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Superstitions, midday; edited version

Thanks, Jim. I have a masked layer for the lighter rocks using the darker of the three exposures. I had it darker, but thought it looked too subdued for something fully sunlit, so I backed off of it. Looking at this now on my uncalibrated work monitor, it looks even brighter than on my calibrated one at home, and I think it suffered a bit from the transition to sRGB. So all in all, I clearly need to put more "darkness" back into that area. it But the highlights aren't blown, so there won't be a problem with gray. I'll work on that tonight.

Dave

May 14, 2012 at 01:18 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

TripleYYY
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Superstitions, midday; edited version

Dave, On my calibrated moniter, it looks good. The fresh greens really pop. I wouldn't change a thing.

Y

May 14, 2012 at 01:54 PM
Rudi Venter

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Superstitions, midday; edited version

Great capture Dave!

I like the way the greens "pop"! This image shows that even harsh light can produce images that are worthwhile. Way to many people will only shoot in the golden hour, they are missing out!

Thanks for sharing,
Rudi

May 14, 2012 at 02:29 PM
Lothen
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Superstitions, midday; edited version

looks like a cool area to be shooting in Dave

Per

May 16, 2012 at 08:29 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register