Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

Weekly assignment 306: Overhead
Deadline: August 20th noon UTC/GMT

WA Rules Current entries

FM Forums | Weekly Assignments | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · #501 world war 2 factory

chovan

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · #501 world war 2 factory

This is an abandoned factory that made torpedos, etc. for world war 2.

Canon EOS 5D    100mm    f/10.0    1/1250s    3200 ISO    0.0 EV  

May 13, 2012 at 04:00 PM
Travis Rhoads
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · #501 world war 2 factory

the abandoned aspect comes through, seems a bit over exposed, there looks like there might be good texture on the glass and window mullions that could be interesting.

May 13, 2012 at 11:56 PM
Hightraxx
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · #501 world war 2 factory

Welcome for your first post, allot of factories abandoned , but even then you can find some beauty in whats left.

Norm

May 14, 2012 at 12:19 AM
chovan

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · #501 world war 2 factory

Thanks for the input! This is one of many photos I took of the old factory. Maybe this wasn't the best shot to submit for this assignment. I should have tried the auto mode instead of stopping the camera down. I'll work on keeping things at a better exposure. How would you rate the composition? I'm stoked about joining FM.com.

There is a lot of history there, good and bad.
Best,
Steve

May 14, 2012 at 12:57 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Travis Rhoads
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · #501 world war 2 factory

As far as composition, I would have tried to line up the window mullions/frame with the borders of the image, not always centered, but at least lined up, they have good texture. Expose for those areas, as it is, it looks metered for a weighted average, causing the darks to be visible, but the highlights are blown.

May 14, 2012 at 10:54 AM
Oregon Gal
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · #501 world war 2 factory

Welcome to the WA. Travis gives good advice regarding the blown highlights. This is a tough shot because you have extreme highlights and blocked shadows. You don't necessarily need to use Auto mode but consider that if you metered from the shadows the whites will be overexposed and vice versa if you took a reading from the the white window your shadows would be dark. Reviewing the histogram will let you check for blown highlights and / or blocked shadows. Compositionally speaking I might try a little wider shot to show more than the broken window. I did a quick re-work. I lightened the shadows a touch and brought some detail back into the highlights. It is always best to get it right in the camera versus PPing. Barbara

If you object to me posting the picture I will remove it.

May 14, 2012 at 01:24 PM
chovan

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · #501 world war 2 factory

I have no objection to you posting the re-working of the photo I submitted.
Best,
Steve

May 15, 2012 at 02:44 AM
mark fadely
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · #501 world war 2 factory

Welcome Steve. Nice idea for the shot. You've gotten some good advice from travis and Barb. I hope to see you back with another entry next week.

May 15, 2012 at 08:33 PM

FM Forums | Weekly Assignments | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password