New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Strategy for overheating SB-900

coresare
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Strategy for overheating SB-900

Hi. Just shot my first wedding. I'm familiar with how fast the SB-900 overheats. Other than shooting at larger apertures or increasing ISO .. Is there anything short of swapping between two speedlights to prevent overheating? Out of curiosity how do Canon Speedlights handle rapid shooting. Is the SB-910 much less prone to overheating? Thanks in advance.

May 12, 2012 at 07:43 PM
mshi
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Strategy for overheating SB-900

using higher ISO and/or SD-9.

May 12, 2012 at 08:11 PM
lxdesign
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Strategy for overheating SB-900

Buy an SB-910, that's what I'll be getting for the wedding I am shooting this summer. (yes, I am not a regular wedding shooter)

May 12, 2012 at 08:25 PM
Jammy Straub
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Strategy for overheating SB-900

Ice water.

May 12, 2012 at 08:27 PM
Matt OHarver
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Strategy for overheating SB-900

I have seen people complain about overheating SB900's but I have to be honest with you. I shoot them off camera for strobing basketball and other events and I have NEVER overheated an SB900 or even came close. You have to be using very low ISO in very dark situations and firing several shots at a time to actually overheat one of these. I've been shooting off camera and on camera with the same two units for a year and a half.

May 12, 2012 at 08:30 PM
Christian S
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Strategy for overheating SB-900

Quantum

May 12, 2012 at 08:40 PM
coresare
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Strategy for overheating SB-900

mshi wrote:
using higher ISO and/or SD-9.

I'm assuming it's the internals that are over heating versus the batteries right? Does the battery pack actually help?

May 12, 2012 at 09:12 PM
coresare
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Strategy for overheating SB-900

Matt OHarver wrote:
I have seen people complain about overheating SB900's but I have to be honest with you. I shoot them off camera for strobing basketball and other events and I have NEVER overheated an SB900 or even came close. You have to be using very low ISO in very dark situations and firing several shots at a time to actually overheat one of these. I've been shooting off camera and on camera with the same two units for a year and a half.

During the table toasts. I kept it at ISO 400. Sort of dark reception area. Probably one flash about every 5-10 seconds.

May 12, 2012 at 09:16 PM
mshi
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Strategy for overheating SB-900

coresare wrote:
I'm assuming it's the internals that are over heating versus the batteries right? Does the battery pack actually help?

It does work and that's not an opinion nor belief. Order a SD-9 and do some tests yourself. You know the Internet is full of disinformation and the only way to find out the fact is to verify. SB-910 gives user an illusion it is not easily overheating because it significantly reduces flash power to achieve that illusion.

Edited on May 12, 2012 at 09:23 PM · View previous versions

May 12, 2012 at 09:20 PM
coresare
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Strategy for overheating SB-900

mshi wrote:
It does work and that's not an opinion nor belief. Order a SD-9 and do some tests yourself. You know the Internet is full of disinformation and the only way to find out the fact is to verify.

Ok thanks

May 12, 2012 at 09:23 PM
Zebrabot
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Strategy for overheating SB-900

Christian S wrote:
Quantum

Correct! Quantum stuff is awesome.

May 12, 2012 at 10:28 PM
coresare
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Strategy for overheating SB-900

Zebrabot wrote:
Correct! Quantum stuff is awesome.

Haha yeah, I hear they're some stout manual flashes..

May 12, 2012 at 11:08 PM
Thorsten
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Strategy for overheating SB-900

mshi wrote:
SB-910 gives user an illusion it is not easily overheating because it significantly reduces flash power to achieve that illusion.

I thought the SB-910 avoids the overheating by lengthening the recycle time once the temperature rises. But either way you'd loose some shots.

To the OP, I had the SB-900 overheat only when shooting at ISO 200 and f/8 (which probably meant full power) and shooting a good number of shots rapidly. Change any of these and it works ok.

May 12, 2012 at 11:29 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.