New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2012 · Got new 5D Mark III but do I keep my mint 40D Body

mmsean
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Got new 5D Mark III but do I keep my mint 40D Body

Well I broke down and bought a 5D Mark III as I have a baby on the way and she's 1 month out. However now that I have a new camera, I'm perplexed, my questions are:

1. Whether I keep my 40D which is absolutely mint
  2. Sell it now
  3. Wait until the sell off frenzy stops and sell it in a couple months
  4. Also, do most buyers want the battery grip with the camera or seperately?
  5. Do I sell it with the 28-135IS lens that I have never used or seperately?

Not sure what to do, your suggestions would be great!

May 12, 2012 at 06:09 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Got new 5D Mark III but do I keep my mint 40D Body

I would sell the 40D now. Digital cameras do not retain their value; in general, the longer you keep them the lower their value will decline. Offer the camera and grip together and you can price the combo price a little lower than the items individually. I would also sell your 28-135mm lens, since you have never used that lens, like you said. Again, list them together and if there is a potential buyer that happens to like to buy all of them, then give a slightly better price for all three items. You only have to ship them once to the same buyer, it is more convenient that way but in general if you sell them individually, you may get slightly more but it can be a hassle.

Another tip, use the 5D Mark III and take a lot of pictures of your daughter on a daily basis and even frequently during the day, too. She is growing up fast....

Good luck!

May 12, 2012 at 06:28 PM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Got new 5D Mark III but do I keep my mint 40D Body

Do you have a backup body?
The value of Canon bodies has taken a "nose dive" since the 5DMK3 and 1Dx are out and about to be. The 1DsMKIII is going for "pennies" if selling at all!
I kept my 50D for its on board flash and wonderful backup...I would keep your 40D.
I cannot state this for a fact but I don't believe the value of the 40D will be worth what you would like.
My 1DsMK3 will not sell and I suppose my 5DM2 will be not worth much next week when I post it on B/S.
Dan

May 13, 2012 at 08:58 AM
Jonathan Huynh
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Got new 5D Mark III but do I keep my mint 40D Body

If images quality is important sell 40D, battery and lens 28-135IS.
5D III and 40D both are very difference camera of all aspect.

May 13, 2012 at 09:06 AM
Richard Nye
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Got new 5D Mark III but do I keep my mint 40D Body

I don't know how much you will get for a used 40D, but if you think you might use it, keep it. It's nice to have a FF body and a cropped body. The cropped body is good for longer reach and more DOF. It's also a bit more compact. I'd keep it for a "take anywhere" SLR point and shoot.

May 13, 2012 at 09:38 AM
Randy Smith
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Got new 5D Mark III but do I keep my mint 40D Body

I would keep it. I didn't expect a 3 week delay from when I sold my 1D2N and 30D, and I have had a few instances I missed having a body to slap a lens on.

I also have learned having a second backup body isn't a bad idea. After the spousal unit calms down over the 5D3 purchase, I will be looking for a 50 or 60D backup.

May 13, 2012 at 09:47 AM
retrofocus
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Got new 5D Mark III but do I keep my mint 40D Body

Richard Nye wrote:
I don't know how much you will get for a used 40D, but if you think you might use it, keep it. It's nice to have a FF body and a cropped body. The cropped body is good for longer reach and more DOF. It's also a bit more compact. I'd keep it for a "take anywhere" SLR point and shoot.

+1: the 40D is still an excellent camera, one of my relatives owns it, and I am using it sometimes when I am visiting them. Even it is now an older DSLR model, it is still competitive in IQ with new cameras. I would keep it as second body.

May 14, 2012 at 07:25 AM
Mike1.6
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Got new 5D Mark III but do I keep my mint 40D Body

I'd say sell anything you don't use all the time. Our lives tend to get cluttered with things we hold onto "just in case". Buy something you need with the money. If you find you need a 40D later, you'll be able to buy one again.

May 14, 2012 at 09:05 AM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Got new 5D Mark III but do I keep my mint 40D Body

Mike1.6 wrote:
I'd say sell anything you don't use all the time. Our lives tend to get cluttered with things we hold onto "just in case". Buy something you need with the money. If you find you need a 40D later, you'll be able to buy one again.

I agree but DO NOT "give it away" price wise!!! Be patient, it will sell at a FAIR price!
Dan

May 14, 2012 at 10:10 AM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Got new 5D Mark III but do I keep my mint 40D Body

The 40D is a good camera but is hardly worth the toil of selling it. I'd give it to a needy relative or keep for ghetto/war zone shoots. The 28-135 is a lot more useful on the 5D3 than it was on the 40D if you need a light kit lens to bang around.

May 14, 2012 at 10:26 AM
Scott Snyder
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Got new 5D Mark III but do I keep my mint 40D Body

I was in the same boat last June with a 5dmkii and a 40d (and a daughter due in July). Kept the 40d as backup. I have not shot with it a lot, but it has been crucial a few times. It is very nice to have a crop body now and then, and it is very nice to have a backup body to shoot in certain situations. I have shot with the 40d several times this month by choice. It produces a nice file. And for the cheap price they are fetching these days its worth keeping it as a backup. I would sell the 28-135 asap and pick up something like the 85 1.8.

May 14, 2012 at 10:35 AM
Sashi
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Got new 5D Mark III but do I keep my mint 40D Body

In the same boat. I decided to hand off the 40D to my wife who is outgrowing her G10. I have a high opinion of the 40D. It has served well this past 5 years and I have very few complaints either about the IQ or AF. If anything, it was the lack of high ISO. I would recommend not selling the 40D (which is holding it's "value" in the used marketplace). And it will work out nicely if you have a longer lens and would need more "reach" than the 5DM3 can offer.

If you have to sell it, sell it along with the grip. The lens is another matter (it's a nice range to have on your FF), and you have to make that decision based on your shooting needs.

May 14, 2012 at 11:05 AM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Got new 5D Mark III but do I keep my mint 40D Body

mmsean wrote:
Well I broke down and bought a 5D Mark III as I have a baby on the way and she's 1 month out. However now that I have a new camera, I'm perplexed, my questions are:

1. Whether I keep my 40D which is absolutely mint
  2. Sell it now
  3. Wait until the sell off frenzy stops and sell it in a couple months
  4. Also, do most buyers want the battery grip with the camera or seperately?
  5. Do I sell it with the 28-135IS lens that I have never used or seperately?

Not sure what to do, your suggestions would be great!

I'd sell the 40D now, the prices generally only go down more and more and more.

Sell the 28-135 IS separately.

Sell the 40D grip separately.

I find that I always can scrounge out the most selling most stuff separately, all together a little extra for this and that adds up and people don't go that high with multiple things at once and, if anything, they tend to want a package discount.

May 14, 2012 at 04:33 PM
CW100
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Got new 5D Mark III but do I keep my mint 40D Body

you won't get much for it, probably worth keeping as a back up

May 15, 2012 at 05:13 AM
Zurbaran1

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Got new 5D Mark III but do I keep my mint 40D Body

I was in a similar situation. Just got my 5D Mark III. When I bought my 5D Mark II I kept my 40D, heck, it was only 2 months old at the time. Wound up never taking another shot with it. Learned my lesson and realized that I don't really need a second (never mind a 3rd) body so i sold both my 40D (mint with only 1300 shutter clicks on it) and my 5D Mark II to help pay for the Mark III

May 17, 2012 at 02:32 PM
lwrnclightner
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Got new 5D Mark III but do I keep my mint 40D Body

I'll trade you my 1d IIn for the kit.

May 17, 2012 at 02:38 PM
mmsean
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Got new 5D Mark III but do I keep my mint 40D Body

Thanks lwrnclightner but I think I should sell it to buy a new lens. I just have to figure out the price!

May 22, 2012 at 09:45 PM
garyvot
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Got new 5D Mark III but do I keep my mint 40D Body

If the 28-135 IS is working properly, it makes a good "kit" lens for the 5DIII until you can afford something better. Although a film-era lens, it is designed for full-frame and has a decent reputation for its time. The "replacement" lens for full frame in the Canon lineup is the 24-105L.

May 22, 2012 at 11:15 PM
mmsean
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Got new 5D Mark III but do I keep my mint 40D Body

garyvot wrote:
If the 28-135 IS is working properly, it makes a good "kit" lens for the 5DIII until you can afford something better. Although a film-era lens, it is designed for full-frame and has a decent reputation for its time. The "replacement" lens for full frame in the Canon lineup is the 24-105L.

Oh the 28-135 IS has been used once. I normally use my 24-70/2.8, 50/1.4, 100-400L or my new 24-105L. My most used lens would have to be the 24-70 but I've been playing with this 24-105 lately and loving it.

So the 28-135 was purchased with the 40D but never used. I should have sold it I just figured I'd use it more but never did.

May 23, 2012 at 12:06 AM
Glenn NK
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Got new 5D Mark III but do I keep my mint 40D Body

Richard Nye wrote:

I completely agree. I kept my 30D when I acquired the 5DII.

They are different cameras and serve different needs.

For what the 40D will fetch, keeping it seems a better option to me.

Glenn

May 26, 2012 at 11:30 AM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.